Oh dear what have I done !!! A scone that goes far beyond the Quintessential English Scone I usually set out to make
You can blame the monthly baking challenge I set in my baking group !!
Many had not made English Scones before ( A less sweet variety for many ) but of course I have those in my arsenal so I had to come up with something fresh !!
With Valentines Day round the corner and Easter on the way this was foremost in my mind
You can half the recipe and have dessert for two on the 14th
These beauties are that good they will be featuring on the Valentine Day Afternoon Tea at the Wellbeing Lounge too……so SJ is to blame for this too 😜
I do like a full blame culture when it comes to baked goods
The scones themselves are brimming with chocolatiness ( probably not a word but I don’t care 😂😂)
I worried that they may turn out a little dry……. was I wrong 😋😋
Pair with them with some lovely jam and cream and you are on a winner
I have paired mine with Blackcurrant and Violet Jam, a lovely gift from a fellow Instagrammer Jane of Labour of Love Preserves all the way down south in Aspley Guise , near Milton Keynes.
I wish I lived nearer her jams and preserves are made with love and so delicious and different ……if you are down that way check out her page you don’t want to miss out and shes a sweetheart as well as her jams 🙈🙈
But back to the scones, I can see them sitting well with cherry or raspberry jam too
The scones are soft tender and I dare you to stop at just one 🙊
I do advise rolling and cutting with a dusting of cocoa powder , if you use a white flour you will end up with them looking a little mottled !
So follow the instructions and you will be having chocolate scones in no time 😍
Oh and as with all my scones , they are less sweet as they should be and are there to compliment the full cream tea experience
Jam and cream is MANDATORY😜😜😜😜
Right lets crack on
Double Chocolate Scones GF, DF V
All the characteristics of an English Scones with all the Chocolate you could need !!
- 450 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 50 g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 70 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork Block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 80 g Gloden Syrup( Approx 4 tbsp ) Light Corn Syrup
- 80 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce ( I used Bramley apples but you can use baby food )
- 4 tbsp Aquafaba ( Chickpea juice out of a tin on chickpeas )
- 250 mls Non Dairy Milk ( I used Soya )
- 80 g Chocolate , chips or finely chopped GF V ( i used plamil foods )
- 200 mls Dairy Free Double/ Heavy Cream Alternative ( I used Shalagfix )
- Jam or fruit of choice
– To Dress Scones
- Preheat Oven to 200 C Convection / 220 C Standard / 425 F
- Line a baking tray with Parchment or Slipmat
- Whisk and then Sift the flour, Bicarb, Cream of Tartar ,xanthan gum, and cocoa in a bowl
- Add small lumps of vegan butter to the flour mix, push them just under the surface and using your finger tips rub the fat in until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Whisk the Milk Apple sauce, golden syrup and Aquafaba in a jug until slightly frothy
- Add half the the Milk mixture to the flour and with a metal spoon pull the flour from the outside to the inside on the centre of the bowl until it is combined
- Add the rest of the milk and continue until the dough looks like below , mix until the last streaks of flour are gone, but do not over mix and add the chocolate , lightly pull the dough into a ball with your hands
- When soft dough forms tip onto a lightly cocoaed work surface , your dough should be slightly sticky divide into two equal lumps
- With LIGHTLY cocoaed hands pull the dough together GENTLY until you can form a long rectangle the width of your 5cm (2in ) cutter and 3cm (3/4in for you old fashioned type 😂😂)in height and 27 cm long . You will get 5 out of this process (‘ dip your cutter in cocoa lightly before each cut )
- Cut out and CAREFULLY transfer to the baking tray
- Repeat Step 9 with the second piece of dough
- Gather up the scraps and cut out one more if possible
- Brush the tops with milk lightly,
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes until slightly darker and risen
- Cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy on day of making or store in Tupperware at room temperature for 48 hours , but will freeze well for a month, defrost at room temperature. – –
Now if you don’t want these your wrong in the head 😜😜
Even the non intolerant in the household had 2…..
I had to stop him at anymore as they are now safely in cold storage for another day 😂😂😂
Anyway best give you some more pictures make you really really want to
And just think what a delicious treat this will be for your other half on that day of Lurrve , or maybe that’s every day 😍😂😍
Hope you enjoyed the recipe and the post
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me a lot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week