It’s coming up to Valentine’s Day, so of course there has to be an appropriately blinged bake 🙈
So this year , I’ve opted to get my version of the classic Red Velvet Cake
But me being me I’ve opted for the traditional topping of Ermine Frosting, as well it is my go to Frosting anyway as some of you will know . I can never thank Anna enough for introducing me to it 😘
Cream cheese frosting was a later addition, and I can tell you now, I was never a fan of Red Velvet until I’ve made my own 😂😂
Its all in the Apple Cider Vinegar, but don’t worry you don’t taste a thing !!
We have no dry cakes in The Cauldron and this cake is no exception either
The only thing to consider is whether you want to colour it or not !!
You use non dutched cocoa powder ( here in the UK most of ours are dutched meaning its washed in alkaline solution to make it darker and more chocolatey )or cocao for this bake and you will get natural red hue, but its only mild, but the original way , the chemical reaction with the vinegar gives the colour !!
I wanted it to be the colour you see in the magazines 😂😂 so I added some food gel to my bake , but it takes only a small amount
But by all means go au natural it makes no difference on flavour , whatsoever
The crumb on this cake is fabulous, light , soft and so moist 🙊🙊 its a joy to look at and a delight to eat….. infact #thecauldronapprentice really set to with this one and filled her boots 😂😂😂
Now I know I’ve made it look pretty but you really don’t have too.
Keep it simple and just swirl some ermine on and some appropriately designed sprinkles and you’re good to go…….THE CAKE OF LURVE 😜😜
Right lets crack on and don’t forget to make your ermine pudding base first !!
Red Velvet Cake With Traditional Ermine Frosting GF, DF V
All the classic of a Red Velvet Cake, light chocolate a soft crumb and topped with the orginial Ermine Frosting
- 300 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( If not using your own I recommend Dove Farms Freee UK or Pillsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 275 g Caster / Superfine sugar
- 50 g of Undutched Cocoa powder / Cocao ( I used Food Thoughts Organic Cacao )
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 300 ml of Dairy Free Milk ( I used Alpro Soya )
- 150 ml of Neutral Oil ( I used Vegetable )
- 60 ml Apple Cider or White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Red Food colouring ( I used Rainbow Dust Pro Gel Red ) OPTIONAL —————- THE ERMINE
- 35 g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 110 g Granulated sugar
- 225 ml / g Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 110 g Vegan Butter, I use Pure Dairy Free or Stork Block depending on what I have in . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 90 g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 400 g of Non dairy in total, not for me though……. -2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Optional Sprinkles !!!
- Make your Ermine Pudding as directed in my Intolerance frosting post Steps 1-5 https://clarescauldron.com/2019/07/27/best-intolerance-frosting-ever-well-today-%f0%9f%98%82/
- Pre heat oven to 165 C Convection / 180 C Standard / 300 F
- Grease and line with baking parchment an 8′ ( 20 cm ) square Cake Tin making sure you leave 2 in proud of the top ( or a deep tin if you have one !! )
- Add the Apple Cider Vinegar to Milk and leave to stand and curdle ( this is your buttermilk )
- Add the flour blend , xanthan if using , bi carb , sugar and cocao to a medium bowl and whisk together
- Sieve into a further bowl so that all the dry ingredients are aerated and evenly distributed
- Add the oil and the vanilla to the curdled milk and whisk together
- Poor the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk til just combined
- Add the Red food colouring if using and whisk til fully combined , do not worry about over mixing this is Gluten Free there are no gluten strands to toughen !!!
- Pour into your prepared tin and smooth
- Place in the oven on middle shelf and bake for 35 minutes, until cake tester or cocktail stick comes out clean
- When baked leave to cool in tin for 15 minutes, lift out with baking parchment and leave to cool, then remove parchment
- Finish the Ermine as in this post Steps 6 – 15 https://clarescauldron.com/2019/07/27/best-intolerance-frosting-ever-well-today-%f0%9f%98%82/
- Variety of Tips Wilton 1M, 2B, 8,21,12,32
- Colours to Suit ……Have fun and enjoy !!
So there you go, its not as complex as it looks!!
Yes I’ve gone overboard with the decoration but it was a style I’ve seen and been wanting to try……and I’m pleased I pushed myself to achieve it. It turned out far better than imagined and will be featuring on an Afternoon Valentine at the Wellbeing Lounge for takeout on the appropriate weekend 😂
We obviously did Valentines Day early in The Cauldron 😂😂😂 I don’t need to repeat it ……actually I’m on nights 😂😂😂
Lets give you some more pics and get you in the mood for LURRRRVE😜😍😂
Hope you enjoyed my Cake of LURRRRVE …..Red Velvet for the win !!!
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜