Well here we are again and every man and his dog is currently sharing a recipe for banana bread !!!!
Oh yes Ive another one in the pipeline and ready to go but……..
Ive already one on the blog thats here https://clarescauldron.com/2019/04/06/dual-personality-banana-bread/
and really there is more other pressing matters…..breakfast 🙊 with less though not totally sugar free
So here’s something a little different some banana breakfast scones ….
Now these are not the American Wedge type with lots of sugar these are a version of the Quintessential English scone…… a carrier for what ever you put on them
My version is breakfast with fruit and yogurt, no better way to start the day with something different
Using banana as an egg replacer is something I rarely do as well life doesn’t taste of banana …… but this is a banana scone full of ‘bannaeriness ‘ (ooooo new word for the Oxford English Dictionary or Urban one is you’re a youngster 🙈)
After asking ‘ The Cauldron Apprentice’ to sample ( she always obliges and gives honest and sometimes facial disapproval 😜) these got the thumbs up !!
So you can blame her 😂😂😂😂 ( mind shes 33 week pregnant so I’m not for arguing with with the hormonal type 😂😂😂😂)
You will see once again in the recipe that I’ve chosen to weigh the baking powder, its a new methods I’m trailing and it seems to work well here
These freeze well and a quick zap in the microwave or a warm in the oven for 2 minutes and you are having a delicious alternative to the standard breakfast
And of course ‘The Cauldron Apprentice ‘ insists that they are named after her
So there you go Laura 2 minutes of fame…….don’t let it go to your head 😂
So lets get busy and get you breakfast !!!
Banana Brekfast English Scones GF, DF V
A Lightly Sweetened , British Staple. with a Twist
I advise and advocate the use of a food processor
- 215 g Plain Gluten Free Flour Blend ( I recommend Pilsbury Cup for Cup US or Dove Farm UK)
- 12 g Baking Powder ( yes grammes )
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your flour blend has it in )
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 50 g vegan butter ( Pure or Stork Block UK, Earth Balance Butter US …..Not spread ) ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 25 g Caster / superfine Sugar
- 180 g Bananas ( without skin and blizzed or finely mashed ) 2 or 3 depending on size
- 2 tbsp Aquafaba ( Chickpea Juice From a Can )
- 2 tbsp Dairy free milk for glaze (I use soya )
- 2 tbsp Demerara or Granulated Sugar
- Preheat Oven to 200C Convection / 220C Standard / 425 F
- Line a baking tray with Parchment or Slipmat
- Sift the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum and cinnamon into a bowl
- Add to the food processor
- Add small lumps of vegan butter to the flour mix, push them just under the surface
- PULSE for about 8 shots in the processor, to make fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar with a spoon……….do not pulse the processor not a clue why but the scones are not as good 🙊🙈
- Puree the banana with the aquafaba using hand blender ,potato masher or fork until smooth
- Add the banana mixture 2 tablespoon at a time pulsing once in between each addition, this will be repeated until all banana mixture is used up
- When soft dough forms tip onto a floured work surface, your dough should be slighlty sticky
- With LIGHTLY floured hands pull the dough together GENTLY until you can form a long rectangle the width of your 5cm (2in ) cutter and 2cm (3/4in for you old fashioned type 😂😂)in height . You will get 5 or 6 out of this process
- Cut out and CAREFULLY transfer to the baking tray
- Gather up the off cuts and push together and repeat step 11
- Brush the tops with milk lightly and sprinkle with granuated sugar ( i used demerara )
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden
- Cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy on day of making or store in Tupperware at room temperature for 48 hours , but will freeze well for a month, defrost at room temperature. Zap in microwave to perk up for 15 secs
- Serve with Yogurt of choice and fresh berries and Maple Syrup ……well that’s my choice !!!
So there you go breakfast is served 😍😍😍
Something a little different and using up the endless bananas everyone seems to have ( well the online community thinks so 😜😜😜😜)
So without further ado I give you #sconeporn and yep another blogpost managed in and around the frontline work……. and lockdown …phew
Yey to the power of the blog as a distraction 😍😍
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me a lot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Stay in and Stay Safe !!
Until Next week
4 thoughts on “Lauras ‘Lockdown’ Banana Breakfast Scones”
Lovely looking scones, Clare! ♥️
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awe thank you Kim as always 💜💜
Hi! These scones look absolutely delicious! 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awe thank you 💜💜
LikeLiked by 1 person