The Art of Intolerance baking throws out challenges that just take longer to solve than others !!!
American cookies are one of those things……….Ive had a limited success, bolders, overspread, ‘disintergration’ after 24 hours or teeth shattering successes !!!🙈😂😂😂
But give it time, wait for the opporunity and see what occurs when you then try something different !!!
Tessa Huff ( of whom you know I fangirl🙊💕💕) recently published a recipe for 4 Giant Double Chocolate Chip Cookies !!!
Well that sealed another try……..small batch , giant and double chocolate in one recipe………how could I not !!!!
Okay so I’m British, I struggle with concept of Granulated Sugar in baked goods ( I am a highly tune caster sugar machine 🙈)
I struggle with the chill, freeze, non chill, roll, short or tall balls, cookie scoops ( of which I do own 4 because ……I DO TRY 😜😜) well realy the whole process……
Give me a biscuit and I’m happy to try replicate any 🙈🙈…so I can dunk it in my cuppa
Anyway back too it…….theres little really no more to be said !!!!
I have cookies, I have success and they are amazing……no chill absoulte consistency on baking. Huge and delicious and you can’t go wrong unless its user error ( just saying )🙊🙊
One of the main diffrence apart from the obvious ones in the recipe adaption is SALT……Ive added non whatsoever!!
Vegan butter is notoriously salty and in this recipe add any more and its a way to salty a bake for me…..I did on the first try and I will not be repeating it ……
I am British and we tend not to add salt to our baked goods and less sugar as a rule so for me it was a non brainer…..the salt doesnt effect the texture or the bake so you can do as you jolly well please 😜😜😜
Right lets bake some Cookies of Giant Proportions 😍😍😍
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies GF, DF V
All you want in a huge double chocolate chip cookie
- 96g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms Freee Plain or Pilsbury US )
- 25 g Dutched Unsweetned Cocoa Powder ( I use Green and Blacks )
- 1/4 Bicarb of Soda
- 1/4 Xanthan Gum ( If blend does not contain it )
- 85 g Vegan butter ( block butter I used Stork you canarth Balance US )
- 110 g Granulated white sugar
- 18 g Soft Brown Sugar ( 2 tbsp )
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 14 g Chickpea flour ( 2 tbsp )
- 20 ml Water ( 2 tbsp )
- 1tbsp Strong Hot Coffee or water
- 100g Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chips ( i used Plamil )
- 20g choc chips for ‘dressing ‘
- Pre heat your oven to 177 C/ 350 F ( I do not use convection or fan far these )
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment or slipmat (though i am not a fan of slipmats and never use them
- Measure ot the flour. cocoa powder, bicarb and xanthan gum into a medium bowl and whisk together with a whisk
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a medium bowl DO NOT MISS OUT ( this is important when you are using xanthan gum to make sure it is evenly distributed )
- Mix the chickpea flour and water togther until you get as smooth a mix as you can !!
- Add the granulated and sugar to the melt butter and with a hand mixer or whisk whisk until sugars are well combined and a smoother paste is made ( there should be no obvious melted vegan butter streaks showing )
- Add the chickpeaflour paste mix and vanilla and whisk til combined
- Add the butter sugar etc mix to the dry ingredients
- Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon…. the mix will seem dry, dont worry
- Add the tbsp of hot coffee or water to the dough and mix til combined
- Equally spilt the dough into 4 balls (mine weighted 112g each 🙈🙊🙈)
- Roll into balls and faltten the tops slightly
- Place on a baking tray well spaced out about 7 cm or 3in
- Add a few more chocolate chips to the surface of the balls
- Bake for 15/17 minutes.
- When done, the edges should be set but the centers will remain soft.
- Take out of the oven and drop some more choc drops on top (just a few…maybe 3 each cookie)
- Leave to cool on the baking tray til cold
- Cookies will last 4 days in airtight container……but they wont last that long 😂😂😜
6.Melt the vegan butter in the microwave for 20 seconds until just melted or on the hob in a pan
12.Stir in 100g of chocolate chips to the batter
And yes we are in a pandemic I reused some parchment 😜😜😜
Well there you go……so simple hassle free and absolutely delicious ……and they will be repeated again and again ……
I just need Tessa to make a plain version so if you are reading please crack on 😜😜😜😜
A quick pointer on chocolate chip placement……no one I’ve ever read tells you you can add extras after the ball making and when they come out the oven !!!
It may make sense to you Americans that make them from being in nappies…..but its taken me long enough to find out how to get the ‘chippy ‘ look 🙈
Now for some #cookieporn and by the time Ive finished…..
YOU WILL WANT ALL THE COOKIES 😂😂😂
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!