Hello well long time no see …. and my blog break lasted a little longer than expected … well life does get in the way sometimes !!
But I’m back this week with a special recipe to tickle your taste buds and take you into late summer before its to late
A delicious Blackberry, Lemon and Lavender Trifle
Layers of Jelly,Sponge ,Coulis ,and Custard all topped of A good dollop of Double Dairy Free Cream
Now I’m lucky this week to get a little help from my friends at Coconut Collaborative to make this trifle a little bit easier with their delicious Ready Made Custard and their absolute wonderful Double Whipping Cre&m , which they kindly provided for me to use …. both Gluten Free and Vegan !!!!
Thank You so much …. and if you watch this space on my social media this week, they have kindly offered me some of their delicious wares for a little giveaway
Now I know there maybe 3 little items of contention on this trifle ……
Jelly or Jello in the States. So I’m making it easy , there are 2 options
- DO NOT fear the agar agar, I’ve made a little video for you …its so easy
- You don’t like Jelly ( Shame on you ) well leave it out and add your tablespoon of lavender to the food processor when making the coulis at Step 7. And hence why the British amongst you will think why have I not put the sponge in the jelly ????? But I thought I would ‘Make it my own’
- You Don’t like lavender …WELL LEAVE IT OUT !!!!
There that’s covered everything so stop your moaning 😂😂
Now I’ve included the link to my Lemon Drizzle Cake as I used this for my sponge layer . If you don’t buy shop bought the only thing you need to remember is that this needs to be made the day before and you don’t need to add the sugar drizzle to the top
Now trifles can be made over a few days….
I always find if you leave it overnight without the cream layer the flavours start in mingle and everything goes lovely and squidgy …just as a good trifle should be 😍😍😍
So take your time ….Trifle should not be rushed 😃
Now if you don’t fancy a big trifle make it it individual glasses that works too
I’ve used a mixture if frozen and fresh blackberries as threes a hefty 800 g in total … if you find you want to use just frozen that’s fine but please defrost before use …. you don’t want any more liquid adding to the mix !!!
So with that LETS MAKE A TRIFLE
Blackberry Lemon and Lavender Trifle GF, DF, V
A late summer trifle that fits all the boxes , with some easy layers to make it as sweet a dessert to tickle your taste buds
The trifle is best left in the fridge without the cream layer for 4 hours or preferably overnight for the flavours to marinated
- For The Jelly
- 700 ml full Sugar Lemonade
- 8 g Agar Agar Powder
- 150 g Fresh Blackberries
- 1 tbsp Culinary Lavender ( Optional )
- For The Blackberry Coulis
- 500 g Frozen Blackberries..Defrosted
- 75 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp Vanilla bean paste
- For the Sponge
- One 2 lb lemon loaf cake recipe here
- 800 g Coconut Collaborative custard ( 2 tubs ) or Gluten Free Vegan alternative
- 150 g Fresh Blackberries
- 440 ml Coconut Collabrative Double Cre&m ( 2 tubs ) or Gluten Free Vegan Alternative
- Make your lemon cake the day before – – Make the jelly
- In a large pan add 500 ml lemonade and the tbsp culinary lavender
- Sprinkle the agar agar on top. Let the agar agar soften for about two minutes to bloom, then heat mixture over low heat.
- Stir this until agar agar has completely dissolved, this takes about 2-3 minutes, and remove it from the heat.
- Stir in remaining the further 200 ml of lemonade Pour the mixture into serving dishes and add 150 g blackberries and store in the refrigerator.
- After 15 minutes as the jelly is setting move the blackberries around the bowl to distribute …or they all sink to the bottom , then Chill them for 2 hours, or until firm. —– Make the Blackberry Coulis ——-
- Put the defrosted blackberries in a food processor with the sugar and lemon juice and blitz until smooth.
- Push the mixture through a sieve into a bowl to remove the seeds
- Put in the fridge until needed. —-Trifle Assembly ——
- Cut the lemon cake into 1 in pieces
- Add a layer of cake pieces over the top off the jelly
- Cover the sponge with half of the coulis
- The layer half of your custard
- Repeat the process with sponge layer and coulis layer but also add 75g fresh blackberries to the coulis layer topping with the remaining custard
- Shake the bowl gently to remove any air gaps
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours for the flavours to develop together
- Whisk your double cream until thick and sift peaks ….
- Top the trifle with cream , fresh berries and a flourish of lavender
- Store in the fridge until serving
- Will last 4 days stored refrigerated covered
So there you go !!!
It really is simple you just need to take your time !! But that’s what you should do with trifle ….make over a couple of days and it will last you more time than it too to make🤣 ( If you don’t have a huge household !!)
So lets get you really in the mood with some more Trifle Porn 🙊
Thank You so much once again to Coconut Collaborative you made my life so much easier and also so much more delicious !!
And if you watch this space on my social media this week, they have kindly offered me some of their delicious wares for a little giveaway …… link to Instagram is at the bottom of this post
Hope you enjoyed this weeks post. its nice to be back 😍😍😍
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow me on WordPress or Instagram and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear.
Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜