We are all use to a fair bit of Drizzle in the UK , and not of the Lemon variety !!!
But its Winter we need Sunshine on a plate
It may seem odd that I’m baking a Lemon cake in winter , but i can Remember an era before everything couldn’t be got on import unless you had a great amount of disposable income…….oh the 70’s I remember them well……..JUST
Autumn and Winter spelled , Apples, Pears, Bananas , Oranges Lemons, Dried Fruit and Glace cherries……Seasonal Fair and if you whee lucky tinned , Fruit Cocktail and Pineapple rings 😂😂😂
So Lemon Drizzle cake is a British Institution, in 2018 it was voted Britain’s Favourite Cake………
Now we are not talking an overly sweet cake, until you put that Sugar crust on, we are talking a lemon disco on your palate !!!!
I must admit, I’m partial to Lemon Drizzle with custard 🙈
but really this cake is for a cuppa …. nothing more nothing less
So lets bake, its really simple and the proof is in the cake,not the waffle 🙊🙊
Lemon Drizzle Cake GF, DF V
A British Staple oh so Lemony Cake with a Sugary Crust
- 250 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( if you do not use your own blend I recommend Dove Farms UK or Pilsbury US
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Bicarb of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 200 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 130 g Dairy Free Yogurt ( I Coconut Collab Natural but any Dairy Free Natural Yogurt is fine )
- 40 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Get Mighty Pea Mi!k)
- 60 ml Oil ( I used Sunflower )
- 60 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Juice Half a Lemon ( about 3 tbsp )
- 85 g Caster Sugar
For the Sugar Crust
- Pre heat your oven to 165 C fan / 180 C standard /350 F
- Grease and line tin as below I find it easier to lay it and cut into the corners on a flat surface , please make it as neat as possible you don’t want a dogs dinner and you will feel my evil glare 😂😂
- Zest cut and juice your lemons ( in that order its not easy zesting cut juiced lemons I have heard 🙊🙊🙊) , I find a quick zap in the microwave releases more juice after you have Zested
- Mix all the dry ingredients with a whisk, Flour , Baking powder, Bi Carb, Xanthan (omit if not using ) , Salt and Sugar
- Sieve into a bowl, remember no shortcuts its important
- Mix the Yogurt, oil lemon Juice , Milk, Zest and Vanilla in a bowl until combined with a whisk
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula
- It can be quite a thick batter depending on your yogurt do not worry
- Place in the tin and smooth out
- Place in Oven and cook for 50 minutes on middle shelf
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack in tin
- Stir Lemon Juice and caster sugar together……not much just a quick stir
- Prick the Cake with and cocktail stick ALL OVER
- Pour over Sugar Glaze
- Leave in tin to cool, Serve at room temperature or slightly warmed
- Enjoy, I like mine warmed in microwave for 10 seconds with custard 🙊🙊🙊
So there you go, the cake to make you #britishbyproxy
High teas and holidays it always delights, its the ultimate in the quintessentially usurping even a Victoria Sponge in 2018 !!! But thats a whole different debate !!!
Now I’m gearing to Christmas bakes, if there is anything you would like me to cover , let me know……I cant necessarily promise i can get round to it this year but I can try and get to it at some point !!
Right here are the pictures to persuade you its with the bake !!!
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜