This week has been an extremely busy week . with trips out and household birthdays !!
But I’ve kept this bake just for this occasion.
The Non Chocolate Bake because well I’m sure we are all a little Chocolated Out after Easter
Something that gives you that home baked feeling , hug in a cake and for all of you over 50 something you would expect your Granny to have prepared for your visit !!!
A hearty piece of cake to enjoy with your cuppa, that tastes delicious
Done knock the Caraway as a sweet alternative until you have tried it !!!
Teamed with the citrus peel and the creaminess of the almonds you are on a winner , the topping of marmalade takes it to another level
Yes a unique flavour but one that you just should have ……time after time
After all Seed Cakes have been in existence for such along time ( earilest records are 1591 !!!!!
Every time you bite into it you are transported to times gone by , so with that lets transport you to another era !!!
Caraway and Almond Cake GF, DF V
A delicious loaf just like Granny use to make , flavourful and hearty
- 180g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( If not using your own I recommend dove Farms Freee or Pilsbury US )
- 40 g Ground Almonds
- 15 g Baking powder ( This may seem alot but its based on UK % to Self Raising flour )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( Omit if your blend contains it
- 150 d Plant Based butter ( I used Flora Plant Based Unsalted ) softened to room temperature
- 150 g White Caster Sugar / Superfine
- 90 g Dairy Free Milk ( I used Mighty Pea M!lk ) room temperature
- 60 ml Dairy Free Yougurt ( I used Coco collaborative Natural yogurt ) room temperature
- 50 g Mixed Candied Peel
- 2 level Tbsp Caraway Seeds ( save a few for the top )
- 2 tbsp of Fine or Shred less Marmalade –
- Pre heat your oven to 160 c Fan / 180 C standard / 350 F
- Grease and line your tin with parchment
- Mixer by hand or in a stand mixer the sugar and the butter on medium for 3 mintes until light and fluffy
- Add the milk to the yogurt and stir til combined
- Add the flour , baking powder and xanthan gum to a bowl, whisk and then sieve
- Add the milk Yogurt mix to the butter sugar and whisk on medium until combined , do not worry if it curdles your milk etc may not be quiet at the right tempertaure
- Add the sifted flour to the mix and either with the mixer or by hand with a spatula mix until just combined
- Fold in the candied peel and caraway seeds with a spatula ( Save a few for the top )
- Place the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle over the reserved caraway
- Bake for 60 minutes until risen and golden brown
- To check insert a cake tester or cocktail stick into the centre of cake and it should come out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, remove from the tin and place on w wire rack to cool
- Warm the Jam or Maramalde and brush on liberally
- Enjoy with a Cuppa
So easy and so delicious……there is little more that can be said , and with all ‘old fashioned’ bakes the longer you leave this the more it matures !!
it will keep airtight in a sealed tin for a week, no need to refrigerate, but will it last that long ????
now for some more pics……. get the kettle on !!!
Right Time for A Coffee
Hope you enjoyed this quick post of an iconic bake !!!
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜