This post has taken some time to arrive 😂😂
But at last its here…. A Fruit Pie for the family !! One where there is clear instructions and a video 😱
Nothing fancy , no fabulous lattice or intricacy just a good ole fashioned pie , just like my mum would have made ……..and that to be honest is all I ever wanted to achieve
Soft and delicious Shortcrust Pastry encases a Pie full to the brim with sharp Yorkshire Rhubarb ( This was made with the first of the season Forced Rhubarb a few weeks back ) and English Bramley Apples …… You cant get more British than that !!
Obviously you can use whatever Rhubarb is in season and your cooking apples of choice
I cant decided what is the star of the show here, the Pastry or the Filling
But what i do know is that its magical and something I could only have dreamed of when I started my baking journey in intolerance baking
So come along for the ride and if I can do this so can you !!
There are Two Short Videos after the recipe which show you , quickly , how i made the pastry and how I actually roll it out …the technique has served me well
Thank Instagram Reels for that !!!! A social media format I didn’t think I would master and I’m still learning but well its all a process to discover and Im slowly getting there !!
I’ve done these through u Tube …… so lets see if it works 😂😂😂
Yes Ive A U Tube Channel but its only for filtering to the blog…..Im not starting being a filming guru 😁
But Lets Make Pie !!!!! A one to enjoy
Rhubarb and Apple Pie GF, DF V
Crumbly Shortcrust Pastry Pie Filled to the Brim With Rhubarb and Apple
- ——FOR THE FILLING ——-
- 450 g Fresh Rhubarb Cut Into 2 cm Lengths
- 500 g Cooking Apples peeled cored and sliced and diced to 2 cm pieces ( I used Bramley Apples But Granny Smiths are good too )
- 60 g Soft Brown Sugar ( I used Billingtons )
- 60 g Granulated White Caster Sugar
- 30 g Cornflour ( Corn starch )
- FOR THE PASTRY ——-
- 300 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using own blend I recommend Dove Farm Freee Plain Flour UK or Pilsbury Cup For Cup US
- 150 g Fridge Cold Vegan Butter Block not Spread ( Flora Plant Based unsalted UK or Earth Balance US )
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 50 g Apple Sauce ( either jarred or homemade )
- 3/4 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbps of Caster or Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Soya Milk
- Add the Chopped Rhubarb, Apple , white , Brown Sugar and Cornflour Starch to a bowl , mix and set aside
- Add Flour , Baking Powder, Xanthan ( if using ) in a bowl with a whisk until Incorporated in Stand Mixer Bowl
- Cut Butter into even pieces and toss in flour
- Place mix in stand mixer ON LOW setting until it looks like breadcrumbs as shown in the picture . Stir with a spoon or spatula to break any large clumps at the bottom of the bowl
- Weight out the apple sauce and add to the breadcrumb mix
- Juice the lemon and add to the breadcrumb mix……3/4 tsp
- Mix on low until the dough starts to come together and looks like the picture below
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of clingfilm, big enough to wrap the dough,
- Wrap Dough. Push the dough it into a disc and place in fridge for one hour
- Set The oven to 180 C Standard / 360 F ( I dont use cinvection for large pies )
- Take out of fridge unwrap and place onto a lightly floured piece of clingfilm , cut into 2/3rd , take a piece of cling film and place over the top ready to roll the largest block
- Roll out using a rolling pin big enough to to cover the base and side of the dish of the dish
- Flick the pastry over using the technique shown in the U tube video above using the clingfilm as your support , trim with a sharp knife …..treat the pastry with respect !!!!
- Fill The dish with the fruit mixture
- Roll out the second piece of pastry the same way as the first ….between two sheets of clingfilm to just over the size of the dish
- Brush the edges of the pie with dairy free milk
- Remove the top piece of clingfilm and using the bottom layer of cling film as support flick the lid over the top of the pie
- Trim with a sharp knife and press the edges together with your fingers and then a fork
- Make a hole in the top to release the steam when cooking
- Decorate if required with the scraps of left over pastry
- Brush with Dairy Free Milk and a Sprinkle of Sugar
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 50 minutes until golden and brown
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool
- Can be stored at room temperature for 2 days covered or in the fridge for 5 days
- To reheat on 180 C for 10 minutes cover top in foil
So There You go !!!! PIE PIE PIE 😍😍😍😍😍😍
Now lets make some pastry !!! The easy way !!
So there you go my first 2 videos
Now for some stills to make your mouth water !!
I Hope this post has inspired your pie dreams because really if I can do it anyone can ….with the right recipe of course !!!!
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures, or maybe another video 🙊🙊
Follow me on WordPress or Instagram and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!