I do like to mix it up a little 😂😂
We really don’t want you getting complacent 😜 So this week I have thrown you a savoury in…..Like I do on the odd occasion !!
This week I’ve gone all French or Italian depending on which flag you are flying 😂
And seeing we will probably not being doing that for a while in the UK. You can make this twice and travel to two different countries 🤪
So I give you Socca ( French ) or Farinata ( Italian ) Flatbread …….or poshed up mine looks like a poor mans pizza 😂😂😂
Its a quick bake , as long as you make your batter in advance ( no less than two hours ),I prefer to make it the evening before and rest it in the fridge overnight , the batter is silkier and smother
Now we all know I love Chickpeas in any form and use it in many forms , but I will remind you again with the flour ….DO NOT TASTE the batter raw its RANK !!!!🙃🙃
But as you are reading this now you could easily have this ready for later !!
It can be eaten on its own or as a side dish. I’ve added my bits to the batter, but traditionally its usually just a little rosemary or plain
But that would be a tad boring !!! For a blog post 😂
Right lets get this made and on the table
Socca GF, DF V
A Savoury Chickpea Flatbread , making a quick and easy lunch or dinner or an accompliment to any meal
- 200 g Chickpea Flour/ Gram flour /Besan Flour ( I used Dove Farms )
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 450 ml lukewarm water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 50 g Kalamata or pitted black olives
- 50 g sun-dried tomatoes
- small bunch of basil
- Mix together the gram flour, baking powder and salt and sieve into a large mixing bowl,
- Make a well in the centre and pour in 450ml lukewarm water and 2 tbsp olive oil…don’t worry it will bubble
- Mix until a smooth batter with a whisk
- Cover and leave for a minimum of two hour on the side or overnight in the fridge …..I find the fridge leaves a smoother bake
- When batter is ready Preheat the oven to , 220°C, fan 200°C. Standard
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan (oven safe ) or cast iron skillet whilst you get the topping ready until the oil is hot
- Skim the ‘scum off the top of the batter and discard
- Slice the Onion thinly , half the olives , slice the sun-dried tomatoes and tear the basil
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and pour the batter into the hot oil.
- Scatter the red onion, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil over the batter and bake for 25 minutes until set and starting to turn golden around the edges.
- Leave it stand in the pan for 5 minutes then cut and serve
So there you go, its that easy and covers all the briefs so no one misses out
You can add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to the batter is you require , for that cheesy flavour, but for me on this occasion with having toppings it wasn’t necessary
You could Lightly saute some Garlic off add it to some dairy free butter and spread it when it comes out the oven…….easy Garlic bread
The options are boundless !!
Right more pictures to wet your appetite and I’m done
Hope you enjoyed the post. I would love to hear how you feel about savouries on the blog !!
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me a lot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Until Next week
2 thoughts on “French or Italian ….You decide !!”
it looks very tasty. Thank heaven I’m not hungry right now, I’d be drooling all over the keyboard now! And btw. I do like those plates 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people
Ha ha…. thank you and of course Asdas finest 😂😂
LikeLiked by 1 person