Lets Step into Spring with an Bake
Bread and Butter pudding goes Spring like !!
Bursting full of blueberries and lemon that combination that hails spring and summer
I’m claiming this pudding British 🤪🤪 infact the first published recipe was apparently 1728 !!!!
Now of course this has now had some major alternations as there is not an egg insight 😜😜
Which for some will be great as sometimes it can taste too eggy if you get it wrong …….so go eggless and take out the worry
I used a white version of my soda bread for this recipe , as purchasing a GF V thick sliced bread wasn’t on the cards for me ……but you use what you have going stale and you usually have in
Recipe for the soda bread is here https://clarescauldron.com/2021/02/20/non-wheaten-brown-soda-bread-ditch-the-yeast/
This dessert is a winner for sure , and an adaptation from a recipe in The Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking !!!
So you want something different for dessert , you have it here and I can see this gracing the table in other forms over the year
So Lets crack no…….but no egg cracking 😂😂
Blueberry and Lemon Bread Pudding GF, DF V
Comfort Food at its best , with a Spring / Summer Time Feel , with berries and lemon. A creamy but light bread pudding using and leftover bread lurking
- 250 g Thick Sliced GF, V Bread ( or what ever intolerance you need or not )
- 200 g Fresh Blueberries
- 1 tbsp Dairy Free Butter ( I used flora plant based )
- 250 ml Dairy Free Cream ( i used Alpro or Elmlea )
- 250 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Plenish Oat M*lk )
- 1 Lemon finely zested
- 40 g Caster Sugar
- 30 g Cornflour / CornStarch
- 60 ml Water
- 1/ 4 tsp Tumeric ( optional )
- 1 tbsp Icing Confectioners Sugar
- Take the crusts of the bread if its chewy ( I used my soda bread left overs )
- Cut the bread into 1.5 cm cubes , but the bread into the dish to check you have enough !!
- Tip the bread out and grease the dish with the vegan butter
- Add the blueberries to the bread and mix well, add to the baking dish
- But the milk, cream , lemon zest and sugar into a medium pan and whisk to combine
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornflour / cornstarch until smooth and combined
- Add the cornflour slurry and tumeric to the milk combination and place on a low head whisking continually
- Simmer it gently until the custard is NEARLY boiling and coats the back of a spoon
- Take off the heat and pour half over the bread and blueberries
- Tap the dish on the counter to let the custard settle to the bottom and remove any air pockets
- Add the rest of the custard and repeat the tap
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes at room temperature
- Heat your oven to 165 C Fan / 180 C Standard or 350 F
- Place in the oven for 50 minutes until the top of the pudding is golden and the centre feels set
- Remove for the oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving
- Dust with icing sugar
- Serve with Cream . Ice cream or custard of choice
- Can be eaten cold or reheated in microwave
So that’s all there is too it !!!
Its really that simple and the variations are endless
and the waste not want not bake always floats my boat 😍
So lets show you some more pics and get you in the mood to put blueberries and lemon on your shopping list this week
Hope you enjoyed the post
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family and friends, especially the intolerant ones 💜💜