Time to set foot into the world that can bring dread to any baker !!!
Lavender and the constant worry of producing a bake that will taste like a bar of soap or smell like Grannies Underwear draw 🙊😂😂
Then I stumbled on a product that may help me out , through the wonders of Instagram !!
Urban Cordial……. now that could be a blessing in disguise to get you through the Lavender barrier
So I did something I never do and dropped them a line and to my absolute delight they kindly gifted me a couple of bottles to see what I could do and whether my prayers to the cordial gods would help me get you over the line
Result !!!! It worked and here is your starter for ten
Obviously not all my reader are in the UK but hope it will give you the opportunity to see what you can obtain
For those in the UK give this product a shot , they are cordials for grown ups and I can see myself purchasing others when I get the chance
The Blackberry and Lavender alone in a glass is devine
Please Click on link below to see the range
So lets crack on with this lovely bake and something to distract us from all the chocolate 😂😂😂
Blackberry , Lavender and Lemon Cake GF, DF V
Decorate in style suitable for your need and skill
Please do not be alarmed at the 20 g of Baking Powder, here in the UK we use Self Raising Flour as a rule for cakes ,and that is 5% of the flour mix here and its a new method of me making sure you get the correct amount
Link for the Frosting Full Method will be given in the recipe to my frosting recipe
Cake can be kept in fridge for 7 days covered, bring to room temperature before serving
- -THE CAKE
- 380 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( if not using your own blend I recommend Dove farms UK or Pilsbury US)
- 20 g Baking powder yes 20 g !!
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 1 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 175 ml Dairy free Milk ( I use Alpro Soya ) room temperature
- 200 g Dairy Free Yogurt ( I used Alpro Soy Plain ) room temperature
- 120 g Oil ( I used Sunflower oil )
- 250 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 150 g Blackberries
- 3 tbsp Blackberry and Lavender cordial ( I used Urban Cordial ) – – THE FROSTING
- 70 g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 220 g Granulated sugar
- 375 ml / g Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 75 ml Blackberry and Lavender cordial
- 220 g Vegan Butter, I use Pure Dairy Free or Stork Block depending on what I have in . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 180 g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 400 g of Non dairy in total, not for me though…….
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract – – – – -BLACKBERRY ‘QUICK JAM ‘
- 300 g Blackberries
- 300 g Granulated sugar
- 25 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 50 ml Blackberry and Lavender cordial
- 50 ml Water
- !00 g Granulated Sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 160 c convention / 180 C standard / 350 F
- Grease and line your pans of choice
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour blend , baking powder , bi carb and xanthan gum if using
- Whisk together until combined
- Add the sugar , mix in
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bowl
- In a medium bowl measure out the milk and zest the lemons
- Warm the milk and lemon in the microwave for 20 seconds or in a small pan on the hob til body temperature
- Add the Yogurt to the milk and whisk til combined
- Add the golden syrup and vanilla essence to the milk and stir until combined
- Add the oil to the milk mixture and whisk til combined
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the milk concoction
- With a hand whisk mix until combined and lump free, batter is quite thick
- Add 3 Tbsp Cordial and blackberries to the batter and stir in gently with a spatula until combined
- Place even amounts of the batter into each pan ( I find this easiest to weigh each one as my pans are the same weight )
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 30 minutes
- Test with a cocktail stick or cake tester in the middle to check for doneness and that it comes out clean
- Remove cakes, leave to cool in pans for 15 minutes then take out of pans and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remember slight cracking doesn’t matter you will be trimming the cakes or even naked it shows a well hydrated non dry bake !!!!!
- If fully decorating I advise to wrap in cling film after this time and place in freezer for an minimum of one hour before trimming and stacking – – – –
- As directed in recipe below with 75 ml of cordi al added to the milk before cooking in the pan sub as in recipe above
- Put the fruit heavy-based saucepan. Add 25ml of water and 1 tbsp of lemon juice .Bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat. For blackberries, simmer for 15 minutes The fruit should be soft.
- Tip in the sugar, stir over a very low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved. Raise the heat, bring to a full rolling boil, then rapidly boil blackberries for 10 DO NOT STIR
- Remove from the heat, skim off any excess scum. Leave for about 15 mins so the fruit can settle. Pour into sterilised jars, label and seal.
- Add The sugar , water and cordial to a small pan and simmer until halved in quanitity and syrupy Place in a glass jar to cool
- When cakes are fully cool brush with lightly on tops and side
- Stack cakes alternating with cake. thin layer of buutercream , jam and then cake, repeat
- Decorate as required it doesn’t need to be so fancy !!
MAKE THE ERMINE
MAKE THE JAM
MAKE THE SUGAR SYRUP
You can decorate your cake either fully naked or semi naked please feel free to make you choice . Maybe top with some blackberries and mint leaves ??????
i will say it again as I always do, please do not fell you need to flow my decorating style
There are plenty of utube videos and experts out there to show you the way
mu styling is always there to lull you in to the deliciousness of the bake, and make you realise that intolerance baking has its place in making a wow statement
But it can be enjoyed in its simplicity too, after all a good bake is a good bake no matter what it looks like
So without further ado some more pics for you and just wait for that crumbporn
Hope you enjoyed the post and hope you enjoy making the cake as much as I did !!
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family and friends, especially the intolerant ones 💜💜
6 thoughts on “Unleash The Lavender Beast !!”
Definitely going to be trying this!
LikeLiked by 2 people
Please do 💜💜
LikeLiked by 1 person
Sounds amazing! ♥️
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thank you Kim 💜💜
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much. Glad you like it 💜