Well I’m not quite ‘doing ‘ Halloween as you would quite expect 😂😂
But I have provided you with now two Harry Potter Inspired recipes for a Potter Afternoon Tea
The other being the Treacle Scones from two weeks ago https://clarescauldron.com/2020/09/19/treacle-scones-fit-for-harry-potter/
When SJ at The Wellbeing Lounge enlightened me that she wanted ‘to do ‘ a Harry Potter Gluten Free and Vegan Afternoon Tea , Lemon Sherbet Cupcakes where mentioned !!
Let the Theatre begin !!! Well there has to be ‘Magical’
This is The Cauldron !!
So we have a Cupcake of Lemontastic proportion
( Oooh that covers Spring next year too…I’m in advance 🙊🙊🙊)
Beautifully lemony, a lemon curd that pulls all the punches and a Lemon Ermine Frosting that hits the spot !!
But the magic is with the Lemon Sherbet Sprinkle….
Homemade Sherbet, so you know its Gluten Free, and Vegan with no possible contaminants
The secret to the lemon flavour on this is Real Foods Lemon Vegan Jelly Crystals….total winner
and don’t be worried at the term citric acid its harmless really 😂😂
So let the theatre and taste sensation begin😍😍😍😍
Sherbet Lemon Cupcakes
Lemony Cupcakes with Lemon Vegan Curd , Topped with Lemon Ermine Frosting and a Little Lemon Sherbet GF, DF, V
I advise to make the lemon curd the day before and the Ermine Pudding Base
- 275g Gluten Free Flour ( Dove Farm UK or Pilsbury US cup for Cup)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 200ml Oil of Choice ( I used Sunflower for these)
- 200ml Dairy Free Milk ( Soya or Rice for me. Avoid Nut its to over powering )
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp of Finely grated Lemon Zest —- —-Lemon Curd
- 1 Lemons Grated if you want ‘Bitty Curd ‘
- 25 g Cornflour/ Cornstarch
- 50 ml water
- 80 ml Lemon juice….. Fresh not that bottled stuff 😐
- 100 g Granulated Sugar
- 30 ml Dairy Free Milk, i use Soy
- 30 g Vegan Butter
- Pinch of Turmeric (Optional )
- 35 g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 110 g Granulated sugar
- 175 ml / g Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 50 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 lemons finely zested
- 110 g Vegan Butter, I use Pure Dairy Free or Stork Block depending on what I have in . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 90 g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 400 g of Non dairy in total, not for me though……. -2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/ 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Star Sprinkles ( Optional )
- 10 / 12 Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Sherbet Sweets ( I used Aldi ) Optional
- 3 tsp citric acid
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 85 tbsp vegan Lemon jelly crystals ( I used Real Foods )
- 3 tsp baking soda
——– —–Lemon Frosting
—— ——-Lemon Sherbet
- Preheat the oven to 160 C Convection / 180 C / 350 F
- Place cupcake Liners in a 12 hole muffin tin
- Place the Caster Sugar and Lemon Zest in a bowl and rub the lemon into the sugar with your finger tips set aside
- Add the lemon juice to the milk, stir and set aside to curdle
- Sift the Flour, Sugar Baking Powder and Xanthan Gum ( if using ) into a Bowl
- In a separate jug or bowl combine the Curdled Milk, Oil and Vanilla extract with a whisk to combine
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and whisk until the batter is smooth, this can be done in a stand mixer if required on medium speed
- Spoon or using a cookie scoop place the batter into the cupcake cases. Only 3/4 full, these babies rise !!!!!!!
- Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and firm to touch or a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer onto a wire rack to cool for one hour before filling and frosting
- Follow directions for curd recipe here https://clarescauldron.com/2019/08/03/intolerant-citrus-curd/
- Follow directions for Frosting here,
- Mix all ingredients for Lemon Sherbet in a bowl and store in an airtight container , for theatre later 😂😂
- When every thing is cool , core the cupcakes with a cupcake corer or pairing knife and fill with curd
- Frost the tops , with what ever design you want apply sprinkles if using
- Add Lemon Sherbet Sweet
- Serve with a side of sherbet or sprinkle on serving as it looses its potency when it gets damp
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days on counter top or 5 days in fridge ( take out and bring to room temperature before serving )
- Watch their faces and enjoy !!!!
But combine the milk , lemon juice and zest together to replace the original plain milk and adding turmeric powder at the end of the process and mixing in til uniform in colour
So there you go……..yes Ive pointed you in the direction of some other recipes on the blog
Otherwise it would have been a mammoth recipe to type up and you may have nodded off before the end 😜😜
These cupcakes have been well received and gone down a treat
A cupcake with an element of surprise, something a little different and a little fun in the current climate
So give it a go….you wont regret it !!!
Now for some pics to make you want too 🙊🙊🙊🙊
Hope you enjoyed the post…..I really enjoyed making something a little magical….just that one small element of sherbet changed the whole dimension of this cupcake 😍😍😍😍😍
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst the awkward ones !!!!