Welsh Cake…… What on earth is a Welsh Cake I hear you say 😂
Well ermmmmmmmmm Think a cross between a scone, pancake ( the British type ) and a biscuit ( the type thats not a cookie 🙈🙈🙈)
Crispy outer and a soft centre….. yum yum in my tum 😂😂
Welsh cakes are very old, and originate from a time before stoves, pans and oven. They were traditionally cooked on a hot stone, and later a cast griddle pan. Small and durable, they could be slipped into the pocket of a child or a miner (or a child miner, which was the custom) as a treat for later in the day.
Today they are a quick and easy Tea time treat…… made quickly and ideal as an autumn winter warmer with your mid morning cuppa or afternoon tea
These where yet another challenge bake from The Great British Bake off Big Book of Baking……..to alter so that everyone can enjoy them
They are delicious served warm , but be warned once you start you will be popping these one by one and enjoying every morsel 😁
Obviously not every country has currants available so please feel free to use what is available, raisins or Sultanas and Cranberries of course
This is certainly a bake you can make with store cupboard ingredients…… in double quick time, and all you need to do is have your griddle or frying pan clean and ready ….. ( no oil required )
So go on give them a go and let me know how you get on 😍😍
Mini Welsh Cakes GF, DF V
A cross between a cookie a scone and a panacake cooked on griddle or frying pan , just right for a warm teatime treat
- 200 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using your own I recommend Dove Farms Freee or Pilsbury US )
- 10 g Baking powder ( Make sure its GF )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 80 g Caster Sugar
- 30 g Currants ( or sultanas or equal mix of both )
- 90 g Vegan Butter ( I used stork block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 20 g Unsweetened Smooth Apple Sauce ( I used Bramley Apples stewed or you can use baby food apple sauce )
- 50 mls Dairy Free Milk ( I used Alpro Soya )
- Sift the flour, mixed spice sugar and baking powder and xanthan gum into a medium mixing bowl
- Add the butter in pieces and toss them in the flour until lightly coated and the with your fingertips rub the fat into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs
- Add the currants and stir in
- Add the Milk to the apple sauce and whisk til smooth
- Add to the dry ingredients and using a metal spoon stir together until the dough cones together Bring the dough lightly with your hand into a ball, the dough will be slighlty sticky
- Tip onto a surface covered with clingfilm and lightly dusted with flour
- Between two layers of cling film roll to 1 cm thick and cut out using a 5 cam fluted cutter
- Gather any trimmings and re roll and cut out more cakes
- Heat a griddle or frying pan to a medium heat
- Testing one to make sure you haven’t got it too hot cook for 2 minutes on each side until puffed and golden brown
- Cook the rest in batches
- Sprinkle with Caster Sugar and serve warm immediately
So there you go. It couldnt be more sinple as that !!
Life is complicated enough without making our baking complicated too. We British Type do like unfussy 😂😂😂😂
I can see many varations coming on over winter on these. Quick and easy believe it or not I dont always have ‘sweet treats ‘ in so these will fill a gap for me if I require quick and on demand 😂
Now lets look more closely so you can decide to toddle off and make some this minutes 😂😂😂
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures
Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear.
Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hashtag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!
5 thoughts on “Welsh Cake Tea Treats”
These look tasty! Do you think you could use an oil instead of vegan butter?
I dont think that will work im afraid unless its a solid oil so maybe coconut oil but thats untested 💜
Thanks! I might give it a try with coconut oil.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Just made these for my sons after school
Snack they are delicious
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m so pleases you enjoyed them….. and what a great snack 😍😍