Please forgive me , I’ve lulled you into a false sense of security😂😂😂
I don’t just eat CAKE !!! I do eat food on occasion too 🙊
So after a lot thought and deliberation , and discussion behind the scenes and a need to move forward I give you a Savoury Bake…… an actual meal !!!
I must admit I am a little nervous rolling this out , but well I know its the right thing to do……its no use me having something delicious and not sharing !!
I am planning on adding more savoury bakes over time to the blog, the reason balance and the need to share good honest home cooking with a twist 🙊🙈
Well it is me would you expect any less 😜
Cooking had been a passion long before the baking and it was a necessity, Gluten Free food was not as readily available and I do like my food !!!
Of course it includes a bake and something a little different, something I would eat , something I wanted to try !!!
In October the Other Half and I had a little holiday….yes I do on occasions venture out and about we went to Edinburgh 😂
For me holidays always provide inspiration for bakes on some level or another and this one was no different.
In a little Wine Cafe / Bistro on The Shore in Leith called Toast, I had the meal of my holiday….you know the one you don’t forget !!
It blew my mind in its flavour , texture and most importantly the simplicity in simple ingredients just ‘done well’.
Polenta Cake in Mushroom sauce !!! Did I ask for the recipe of course I did and got ‘its all in the cornflour ‘……….well that was it and well it wasn’t a shock !! But i wasn’t getting anything else ……..drat ( I cant blame them though !! )
So its been in my plan to replicate this bake and make it my own…….have I done it !!! Oooooooo yes
This meal is not as complex as it may seem, the cake alone can be made in advance
Ingredients can be swapped out for a standard wheat or non dairy its a simple one for one swap…..just miss out the xanthan
There is nothing in this recipe to surprise you honest
This is an idea meal for date night 😈 ….even Valentines Day 💕💕 or just an good evening meal.
I do hope you like this as much as I do !!
Lets Bake………and Cook 😱😱😱😱
Sage Polenta Cake with Mushroom and White Wine Sauce GF, DF V
Soft delicious Polenta Cake, Served with a Creamy White Wine and Mushroom Sauce, a meal that can be part made in advance and something a little different to the norm
Cake can be made in advanced wrapped in cling film and foil and frozen, defrost at room temperature. Sauce can be made and stored in fridge for 4 days in a sealed container, reheat and simmer for 2 minutes and serve
- 130 g Gluten Free Plain flour, If not using own blend I advise Dove Farms UK or Pilsbury US )
- 130 g Polenta …….Fine Ground ( like flour consistency )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum ( do not use if your blend contains it )
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 120 g Vegan Butter ( I use Pure UK but you can use Earth Balance US )
- 120 ml Agave Nactar ( you can use Maple but it will make it sweeter )
- 250 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used soy but you can use what you prefer )
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dried Sage – – –
- 500 g Mixed Mushrooms Cleaned and sliced
- 4 Shallots Finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 10 g Fresh Sage Finely Chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic Crushed ( 6 for Molly 😂😂)
- 2 tbsp of Cornflour
- 200 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Soy )
- 200 ml Dry White Wine
- 200 ml Vegetable stock ( If using veg stock cube please check its GF V I use Kallo in UK )
- Salt and Pepper to taste – – –
- 250 g Spinach ( washed and cleaned )
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Grated Fresh Nutmeg
- Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
For the Sauce
For Wilted Spinach
- Pre heat your oven to 170 C Convection / 180 C Standard / 375 F
- Grease and line your Loaf Tin
- Add the Apple Cider Vinegar to the Milk, Stir and set aside
- Mix Flour blend , Polenta , Xanthan ( if using ) Bicarb Soda , baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and combine with a whisk
- Sieve the dry ingredients …….i mean it don’t be lazy 😂😂
- In a medium size bowl Melt the Vegan butter in the microwave or in a small pan low on the hob
- Add the Agave Nectar , Milk concoction together and then combine
- Add the Sage to the dry ingredients and mix in
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined, dont worry if its a little lumpy
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth
- Place in oven for 30 minutes , until it has golden top ,test with a cocktail stick or cake tester in the middle to make sure it comes out clean ….its cooked then
- Clean and chop Mushrooms, Shallots and Mince Garlic
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a pan, add the Mushrooms, Shallots, Salt and Pepper and cook on a medium heat until shallots are translucent about 8 minutes
- Add the Garlic and the more fragile mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add the Sage and cook for a further minute
- Add the Cornflour and stir in until combined and all is coated in the pan and cook for 1 minute
- Add the Soy Milk, White Wine and Veg stock, Simmer for 2 minutes. If not using straight away take of the heat and cover with a lid, to reheat on low when need
- Wilt the spinach by frying 2 cloves of garlic in a large frying pan or wok with 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted, grate a good covering of ground fresh nutmeg and black pepper
- Slice the Polenta Cake into 1 in slices
- Add 2 tablespoons of Olive oil to a frying pan or skillet and heat on medium
- When oil is hot add the cake, turn over after 30 seconds when brown
- Add thin slices/ shavings of vegan cheese to top whilst bottom is browning, place a lid or plate over the pan so that the steam melts the cheese
- Reheat what is required and serve
NOW TO MAKE THE SAUCE !!!!! YOU CAN WHILST CAKE IS BAKING !!
So there you go……if you don’t want to make this well I certainly do !!!😜😜
In fact I may just make it again tonight……its that good !! and Im not one for usually shouting so loud !!!
After I made this bake I hot footed over to see SJ at the Wellbeing Lounge to see if it really was as good as i thought !!! Bowl in hand , cake in tin foil and after dropping it off I left it for her to try ( as a coeliac and vegan I needed a honest opinion) sometimes you can get excited about something that maybe not to everyone’s taste
I got home to a message ‘ It’s Amazing 😍😍😍 We’re all fighting over it ‘
And with that 2 cakes are now at the lounge and SJ is rolling it out on her menu As of today shes allowed to advertise it 😂😂😂 I banned her til the blog post ( yes I can be a tad protective and a right cow at times 😂😂😂😂)
So lets give you some more pics to wet your appetite……they are a tad Nigella all sultry and pouty.
I am getting you ready for love ……….. not really it was a really cold and cloudy day and its depths of winter so I’m playing at make it work !!!😜😜😜
Hope you enjoyed the post. I would love to hear how you feel about savouries on the blog !!
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week
5 thoughts on “You Can Not Live on Cake alone…….or can you ????”
Amazing! Looks delightful, and I am really looking forward to giving this a go! I love that it can be made ahead of time, too. Thank you for a great savory recipe and such excellent methodology! (I love your photos!) ♥️
Kim thank you. I hope you do. Something a little different 💜💜
This recipe is amazingly delicious and so unique. Five stars! Will definitely make this again! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Coleen for the recommendation. Im so pleased you liked it 💜💜