Saturday comes round but once a week and decisions need to be made near on straight after the previous weeks blog to what you will get or need the following week.
Its been a hectic week for me this week so I had to think how to incorporate all the necessary baking, day job commitments, and blog post to something interesting and usable.
Sooooooooo I got to thinking, I had Eton Mess cupcakes to make ( yes I will show you later calm your passion 😜)
But being Gluten Free and Vegan I had to make my own Meringues ( I can hardly cheat and by some shells as the egg tolerant non vegan folk would do pressed for time 🙊), so there would be plenty of Meringue to play with, and well why not give you some meringue options……..with Bean Juice aka Aquafaba 😂
So Meringue Kisses came into play, fit for any occasion and for adorning a cake, cupcakes or just general mouth popping 🙈🙈
********PLEASE READ THIS ITS IMPORTANT AND I’M NOT WANTING TO HEAR I DIDN’T TELL YOU *************
You need a stand mixer, feel free to try a hand mixer, but it will take a longer time, I’ve never tried !!!!!
These Meringues are susceptible to water, heat and humidity.
Do not make up for more than an hour to being served , however shells can be kept in the fridge for 5 days in an air tight container and will remain fresh.
To perk up to crisp again in oven for 10 minutes on 90 C 194 F
Do not place these on a cake or cupcake for more than 1 hour before , they will melt, but easy enough just to pop on.
If anyone has anyway round this let me know cos your a genius 😜😜😜
Right with that out the way lets talk positives, they are delicious, light crisp and very very moreish. I’ve shown you my method of colouring as it means I can do multiple different colours , but of course you can do a block colour just add Gel paste colours to the end of the whisking process
I’ve made these just vanilla, chocolate and colourful, but of course any filling you like, and any flavouring, go for it
I have used all 3 Types of gel colour I have at hand, so you are aware that any work, check your brand for Vegan though, some are not !!
I’ve found over time that boiling the Aquafaba for 5 minutes for certain things really does pay dividends, and this is one of those times, it thickens and stregnthens and not a step you want to miss.
With intolerance baking there are little in the ways of shortcuts, things take time, if you haven’t got patience then don’t blame me 😂😂
Right lets get Whisking (A LONG TIME )😜😜
Aquafaba Meringue Kisses
Crispy Meringue Shells with Dreamy Chocolate Ganache GF, DF, V
- 100 mls Unsalted Aquafaba ( Chickpea juice out of a can is my preferred choice for colour alone, most neutral ) I used Ogg Eggs which is pre drained for convenience
- 120 g Caster or Superfine Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Gel colours of your own choice
- 50 g Vegan Dark Chocolate
- 110 mls Dairy Free Whipping Cream, I used Schlagfix
- Preheat the oven to 90 C NON Convection / 194 F
- Strain the chickpeas to retrieve the Aquafaba
- Save the Chickpeas in Plastic container to use for another bake or a curry , store in the fridge
- In a large pan boil slowly the Aquafaba for 5 minutes being careful not to let it boil over ( it can be volcanic a friend told me, shes very very wise 🙊)
- When done, immerse the bottom of the pan in a bowl or sink of cold water, I do this in the sink, make sure its slightly weighed down with a ladle if necessary so it doesn’t float off or tip up, yep that happened too …ONCE
- When the Aquafaba is cold transfer into a smaller bowl and place into the freezer for 15 minutes
- Place the Bean Juice into the mixer with a whisk attachment attached
- Whisk until foamy, about 2 minutes
- Add the Cream of Tartar and whisk on high,( I’m on a kitchen aid its number 8/9 of 10 ) for 5 minutes until soft peaks form
- Add the the sugar a tablespoon at a time SLOWLY until all is added, yes its boring but necessary 🙊
- Whisk until smooth and glossy, this takes me 10 minutes to achieve the below pictures
- Whilst that’s happening line 2 baking sheets with Parchment, I DO NOT USE SLIPMATS so I cant comment but feel free to try
- Add the vanilla last and whisk for a minute
- Using an 1/2 in round Piping nozzle ( I believe you can just cut a freezer bag corner off but never tired it ) Paint your piping bags as required see pictures below to see how
- Fill bag , put a small shell in each corner of the baking tray to attach the parchment. Pipe the shells, my smaller shells are a count of 3 secs my larger ones are a count of 5………STEADY COUNTS 😜😜😜
- Place in the oven for 90 minutes
- Rotate pans after 45 minutes
- Switch off oven and leave shells in for 15 minutes
- Whilst the Meringues are cooking and cooling make the Ganache if required
- Whip the Dairy free Cream Cream til thick
- Add to the chocolate melted chocolate, melt in the microwave at 10 sec increments, stir in.
- Leave to set at room temperature
- Take out the Meringues and leave to cool on the baking tray….will take about 15 minutes
- Fill half the shells with either a teaspoon of the ganache or pipe on
- Match the shells for size is pretty
So there you go they are not as difficult or trick as folk make out they are vegan, I’ve done the donkey work for you 😂😂
So lets get some pretty pictures and maybe if you are really good a cupcake 😜
Warning…………if you are of sensitive disposition .do not read the descriptions just look at the pictures ( mind if you actually follow my blog you already know I’m on the wicked side )😂😂😂😂
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week
4 thoughts on “Aquafaba Meringue Kisses”
Love these perfect little (naked 😉 meringues! I’ll be making these for my GF company for sure! ♥️
Thank you Kim. They are certainly worth the effort and something a little different 💜
Hi Clare. Do you know if these will freeze ok?
LikeLiked by 1 person
You can. But need to be careful defrosting, over night in the fridge in a sealed container so they do not attract futher moisture .. make sure they dont touch when freezing layer with parchment 💜