Somethings just come along and cause a little wave on excitement………and this seemed to be the case 10 days ago with my Gluten Free Vegan Scones !!!
I published these little scones within Facebook and Instagram and have had so many requests I’ve had to test test and test again over last 10 days to make sure I’ve covered every possible which way to get the best and most consisitent result
So can I say for now I’m sick of the things 🙈🙊😂. You are welcome to them………
Now for the hardcore……….these Scones are English, they are free standing, less sugar, less fat, and denser than an American Scone AND Either are they a Biscuit…………….for exactly the same reason……….plus they are served as a sweet dish, with clotted cream and jam usually ( unless you are dairy intolerant or vegan, then get cream of choice ), if you want them savoury then make a savoury scone. No dipping them in gravy here 😜😜😜😜
These scones are based on Mary Berry’s Devonshire Scones heres her recipe
Now if you want huge 4in high scones, I suggest you find another recipe.😎
These Scones are 5 cm in diameter and 3 cm high when baked, if you think they are lacking then I suggest you try other GF Vegan scones and compare as there are more blocks of concrete out there than you think
These are not, they are soft and English scone like 🙊 ( you try describing them its impossible. Google told me to put them under pastry ……..erm I think Google needs an Google assistant 😂😂) and if that’s not what you’ve produced then you’ve not followed the instructions……..sorry but that’s the truth
There is a fair bit of baking powder in these but you cant taste it…….just make sure your baking powder is Gluten Free please, it can have wheat in it so be mindful
And shock horror the vegan butter is at room temperature…….oh yes I’ve checked it out , cold butter, room temperature butter, putting in the fridge before cooking and it makes no one dot of difference to an English GF V scone so take a chill pill and live with the dream 😜😜😜
Lets get started lets make some scones 😍😍
Quintessential Intolerant English Scones GF, DF V
A Lightly Sweetened , British Staple. The component of a cream tea
I advise and advocate the use of a food processor
- 225 g Plain Gluten Free Flour Blend ( I recommend Pilsbury Cup for Cup US or Dove Farm UK)
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your flour blend has it in )
- 35 g vegan butter ( Pure or Stork Block UK, Earth Balance Butter US …..Not spread ) ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 25 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 120 g of Dairy Free Milk ( I used Soya )
- 40 g Apple Sauce ( Stewed Bramley Apples (UK ) Unsweetened or ……….or a jar of baby food 🙊), Macintosh or Honeycrisp US
- 2 tbsp Aquafaba ( Chickpea Juice From a Can )
- 2 tbsp Dairy free milk for glaze
- Preheat Oven to 200C Convection / 220C Standard / 425 F
- Line a baking tray with Parchment or Slipmat
- Sift the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into a bowl
- Add to the food processor
- Add small lumps of vegan butter to the flour mix, push them just under the surface
- PULSE for about 8 shots in the processor, to make fine breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar with a spoon……….do not pulse the processor not a clue why but the scones are not as good 🙊🙈
- Whisk the Milk Apple sauce and Aquafaba in a jug until slightly frothy
- Add the Milk mixture one tablespoon at a time pulsing once in between each tablespoon
- When soft dough forms tip onto a floured work surface, your dough should be sticky
- With LIGHTLY floured hands pull the dough together GENTLY until you can form a long rectangle the width of your 5cm (2in ) cutter and 2cm (3/4in for you old fashioned type 😂😂)in height . You will get 5 or 6 out of this process
- Cut out and CAREFULLY transfer to the baking tray
- Gather up the off cuts and push together and repeat step 9
- Brush the tops with milk lightly,
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden
- Cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy on day of making or store in Tupperware at room temperature for 48 hours , but will freeze well for a month, defrost at room temperature.
Hope you enjoyed the post.
If you have any issues with the choice of Apples for the Apples over the pond, I suggest you blame Molly 😂😂😂 she advised from a few 1000 miles away and excellent at causing a storm
The Apples need to be stewed to a smooth puree, no spices just water, they are there to add softness, absolutely nothing else.
Please if you are in the UK don’t think of even using a jar of applesauce its full of sugar and will just cause a spread and no scones for tea
Right time for some pictures, get you in the mood , Cream Tea here you come.
Please feel free to make my jam of the Thumprints recipe, just double it, or by a good brand one…..I dont care
Cream , im sure you have a good dairy free / vegan one, but I favour Schlagfix
Now to Make A Cream Tea………….Jam First then Cream, no arguments if its good for HRH ‘Our Liz’ (wonder if she has a hashtag😝) its good enough for you and me
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me a lot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week