Well its Saturday, its Summer and its Wimbledon Finals weekend, and like any good Brit I will be at work 🙈😂😂😂
No really, there still is time of tennis and cake, but what cake………..lets think I could go strawberries and Cream……..( insert Yawn 🙊)
Nah lets ramp it up lets go boozy and lets go Quintessentially British watch the Tennis in the stands on Centre court in all our finery sipping a Pimms ( auto correct is shocking 🙊 )and Lemonade , or as it will sat on the sofa, stuffing our faces with cake and if we are lucky a cup of tea ( well its mid afternoon and well is it an acceptable hour 😂😂😂)
So now to touch on the cross international boundaries, ermmm ‘Shortcake ‘ an American Buttermilk Scone to us Brits that’s not a Scone and the British Scone that the Americans term a biscuit 😂😂😂😂😂
Confused yet……….well you should be I battle hard in my International Baking group to teach them THE PROPER WAYS, but well I can but try they are a tad resistant 😂😂😂😂
Anyway, I have no clue why this cake is actually classed as a shortcake cake, its a single layer flan sponge to me, using a reverse creaming method😜
Look its a cake, its a way to make a cake, a standard method I’ve used in gluten free baking to judge the amount of fluid needed for a while, its nothing new and certainly nothing to be frightened off. I’ve never produced a dense cake yet with it……Gluten Free has its benefits and not over mixing is certainly an art form and you will need a high mix speed to achieve that one… golden rule, less is always more when it comes to cake batter
Now lets talk Pimms or rather lets get them to do it………its a cocktail honest
If your buying a bottle I best give to a recipe so you can at least finish of the bottle in a humane way 😂🙊😂
So back to the cake, it doesn’t take long and its divine even though I say it myself, but if you don’t want to mess with the Pimms just chuck some fruit on the top……. in an artist manner and wow your friends family and difficult guests.
Right lets get busy……….bake, now ,I insist 😜😜😜
Pimms Shortcake Cake GF, DF, V
A twist on the American classic, Strawberry Shortcake, Anglicised to Pimms cake
This recipe will make an 8 in cake or if halved will make a 6 in cake ( enough for 4 )
- 130g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( Doves Farm UK or Pillsbury US)
- 20g Cornflour/Cornstarch
- 130g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 60 g Vegan Margarine ( Pure or stork block UK or Earth Balance US)
- 120 ml Diary Free Milk ( I use Soya )
- 60 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce ( I used Bramleys stewed down )
- 3 Tbsp Aquafaba (liquid out of a can of chickpeas )
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract – – For syrup
- 50 mls Pimms
- 50 g Caster Sugar – – Cream
- 200 mls of Dairy free Whipping Cream ( I use Schlagfix )
- 2 tbsp Icing / Confectioner Sugar – – For Decoration
- 6 ripe Strawberries
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- A small orange
- A 4 in piece of cucumber
- Mint leaves
- Preheat the Oven to 166 C Convection / 177 C Standard / 350 f
- Grease and fully line your baking tin with parchment paper
- Add your cornflour, and xanthan gum to your flour blend and sift 3 times ( Yes 3 , don,t argue 😜 until fully mixed }
- Sift the flour blended, sugar and baking powder into a mixing bowl or stand mixer
- Add the Vegan Butter, Vanilla and 60 mls Milk to the bowl and mix the ingredients on low for about 30 seconds until combined, it doesn’t take long
- Stop the mixer , scrap down the sides add the applesauce and aquafaba and mix until combined, about 20 second on medium speed
- Scrap the bowl again and add the remainder of the milk, mix on medium until combined
- Mix til combined there maybe a few lumps, that’s fine
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean from the centre
- In a small pan add Pimms and sugar and simmer on low until it has reduced by half , takes about 5 minute .
- Leave and set aside to cool
- Test cake and remove from oven .
- Cool cake in the pan for until its cold, its to fragile whilst its warm to be messing with 🙈
- Slice the Strawberries add, the 2 tbsp of sugar and leave so they release their juices at room temperature
- When cake is cooled remove from pan and place onto serving plate or cake stand
- In a bowl or Stand mixer, whisk your dairy free cream with the confectioners sugar until soft peaks
- Plonk onto of the sponge
- Slice your oranges thinly
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice your cucumber lengthwise
- Place the strawberries, cucumber and orange slices onto of the cream…….ARTISTICALLY
- Taking a spoon drizzle THE COOLED syrup over the cream and cake
- Add some mint leaves
- Voila……. Pimms Shortcake Cake……..Enjoy
– – Make syrup
Right got it , know what your doing this weekend now after shopping, cake you need desperately to make this cake, I know you do.
Its light on fat content but that gives it its texture to much fat and it will turn dense
Just in case your not sure I best give you some pictures yet again, promise no stacking just unadulterated crumbporn and cake 😂😂
So there you go, this weeks instalment of #everyoneshouldenjoycake…….
I lay my crumb before you to prove, there is life after intolerance…….no one but no one needs to be without, please believe me, as I have nothing but the passion and the drive to make you believe that yourself…………
I am self motivated and strive to keep this blog at a level that the novice and apprehensive baker needs.
If there is anything you want me to cover then let me know, I’m always open to suggestions, even though I’ve a mountain of things I can show you, there maybe that one thing that you are missing.
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week
Recipe Inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction Baking Blog Strawberry Shortcake Cake