Well its’s Spring here in the UK and Easter as well, so seeing you got a Chocolate Tart for your ‘intolerance lot’ last week, I thought I best give you the Spring Bake that first came to my mind.
Lemon and Blueberry, the traditional combination . Now Blueberries are not in season here, but frozen are all year round, and in my humble opinion work just as well as fresh in this bake. I used frozen here and you just need to make sure you don’t go mad when folding in to avoid to many streaks and a grey mess ( yep we’ve all been there, but we are all capable of learning from our mistakes 🙈)
Its also time to talk Ermine Frosting !!!! If you’re anywhere but the US your going to say, I thought this was a Vegan dish, shes using a Stoat 😜😂 and yes I’ve been there too. ( As in what I thought not that I’ve used a stoat 😂)
Ermine frosting is actually the frosting that was traditionally used for Red Velvet Cake before the Cream Cheese revolution.
I cannot that my International Baking Friend Anna enough for introducing me to it and the recipe that I’ve adapted. Finding the best ingredients have been a challenge for stabilising and taste, but I’ve got there in the end.
I use this recipe for adapting https://thetoughcookie.com/2017/03/10/less-sweet-flour-buttercream-aka-ermine-buttercream/
I haven’t invented it ,I’ve just Cauldron manipulated it 🙊
My key for taste is Rice Milk, No nut after taste and a lovely creamy taste, and that is always the way I now choose to make it, of course everyone’s tastes are different, but nut milks just leave a nut taste to me and Oat Milk is not always GF.
However with all my bakes they are transferable to non GF, just use regular AP/ Plain Flour, as most before development start from a standard recipe. Most bear no resemblance when I’ve finished though
Right Waffle done, Lets Bake A Cake !!!!
Lemon and Blueberry Sponge Cake with Lemon Ermine Frosting
Light Moist Lemon Sponge , Bursting with Blueberries and Soft and Velvety Ermine Frosting GF, DF V
********The Ermine Pudding base will need to be made in advance***********
- 400ml Dairy free milk ( I used Soya )
- 120ml Oil of choice ( sunflower oil or rapeseed are my first choices )
- 250g Granulated Sugar of choice ( not brown)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp of lemon zest
- 2 tbsp of agave syrup or golden syrup
- 400g Gluten Free Flour ( Dove Farms UK or Pilsbury US Cup for Cup )
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 4 tsp of Baking powder
- 200g of blueberries, either fresh or frozen
- ? do you want extra for decoration think on 🙊
- 70g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 220g Granulated sugar
- 280g Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 220g Vegan Butter, I use Pure Dairy Free or Stork Block depending on what I have in . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 180g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 400g of Non dairy in total
For the Ermine Frosting
- To Make the Ermine Pudding base
- Combine the flour, sugar, milk and lemon zest in a pan and whisk until combined
- On a low heat, dont rush it it will scorch, and whisking continually bring the pudding to a boil
- Once boiling using a spatula continue to stir the pudding round the sides and the bottom using a folding motion.
- Once the pudding starts to freely come away from the sides, about 2 minutes, transfer to a plate and cover clingfilm to prevent a skin and leave to cool at room temperature
- You can sieve onto a plate if you want to remove the zest or feel you have any lumps, but this needs to be done quickly Making the Cake
- Preheat oven to 160 C convection/ 180 C standard /350 F
- Grease and line your selected pans
- Combine the flour, bicarb, xanthan ( if using) sugar and baking powder into a large bowl with a whisk
- Combine the soy milk with the lemon zest and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or warmed through on the hob, do not boil
- Add the oil, golden syrup and vanilla to the lemon milk and whisk until combined
- Then sift the flour mixture into the bowl of fluids and fold in til smooth
- Add the blueberries and carefully fold in
- Pour the batter equally between your pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean, a check at 30 minutes is recommended.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes in pans, then place on wire rack ( I place mine on tea towels to save marking).
- Whisk the fats in a mixer with a paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer until fully combined and fluffy about 3 minutes
- Add the cooled pudding a tablespoon at a time making sure its combined before adding another
- Continue to mix until all the pudding is added
- If for any reason you find your mix splitting, put the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes then take it out and whisk on high speed for 5 minutes, this is usually caused by difference in ingredient temperatures
- If using all butter add a teaspoon of xanthan gum and whisk for at least 2 minutes until fully combined
- Decorate as desired
Finishing the Ermine
Well there you go, Lemon and Blueberry Cake with Lemon Ermine Frosting.
Now to name and shame, yes you Cindy 😜 of the glorious rope cakes on Insta and a like , I keep seeing. Look what you made me do, with my poor hands. Hope I’ve done you proud and thank you so much for the inspiration 😘
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Best give you some pretty pictures now, oh and don’t forget to save some blueberries if your using them for decoration, we’ve all fallen foul of that mistake
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on wordpress or Insta, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this cake or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family, and awkward ones😂😂