Well I’ve had this recipe lurking a while, and seeing we are just entering Autumn I will just about get away with it , because the peaches have cinnamon in them 😂😂😂
American Shortcake isn’t just for strawberries and summer you know…its an all year round make !!! Well I think so so that must be right !!
The similarities to a English scone are there, but these have a higher ratio of butter yielding a totally different texture, more airy and and crumbly , with a crusty top ,but also a little more time consuming in my book !!
Chill factor is more important and with it getting cooler it makes them far more easier to make and enjoy !!
You could think of these as a ‘blown up’ soft biscuit or even a mini cake I suppose , but that’s my British take
But what they are are delicious
Each part of this recipe can be prepared ahead of time. Make the shortcake up to 3 days in advance and store covered tightly at room temperature– or freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw completely before using. Prepare the Peaches up to 1 day in advance.
Prepare the whipped cream up to 1 day in advance. Store both in the refrigerator. Then get ready to dive in
So now I’ve manage to upset everyone over ‘the Pond’ with my whacky non American explanation !! Lets bake
Peaches and Cream Shortcake GF, DF V
All the deliciousness of the American Classic , that is soft tender and delicious , buttery and flaky all at the same time .... but one that anyone can enjoy as it is Gluten Free and Vegan
Keep all ingredients as cold as you can
- 350 g plain gluten free flour blend If not using your own blend Doves Farm Freee plain gluten free flour or Pillsbury US )
- 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp granulated or caster/superfine sugar
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 150 g frozen Unsalted vegan Butter ( I used Flora Plant Based )
- 280 ml Plant Based Milk ( I used Get Mighty Pea M!lk Unsweetened ) COLD FROM FRIDGE
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 2 TBSP Plant Based Milk to brush the tops ( I used Get Mighty )
- FOR THE PEACHES / Nectarines
- 4 large Peaches / Nectarines
- 2 tbsp Caster / Superfine sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- FOR THE CREAM
- 220 ml Dairy Free Double Cream ( I used Coconut Collab Whipping Cream )
- 2 tbsp Icing / confectioners sugar
- Heat oven to 190C / 375 F I do not advise fan for these
- Add your Apple Cider Vinegar to your Plant Based Milk and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to curdle
- In a large bowl add the Gluten Free Flour blend , xanthan gum , bicarbonate of soda , baking powder, salt and sugar
- Whisk together until combined
- Grate the frozen butter
- Then add to the dry ingredients
- Toss the butter lightly in the flour using a folk until it is all covered
- In a well in the middle of the butter / flour mix add the Curdled Milk
- Mix with a fork until it starts to come together
- Tip out onto a lightly floured board and bring together into a disc
- Roll out ( placing a piece of clingfilm over the top ) to a square 2cm thick
- Using a bench scraper or sharp knife cut into quarters
- Place the quarters on top of each other , place the cling film over the top again and squash down with your hand
- Roll out again to 2 cm thick
- Using a 7 cm round cutter , floured between each cut cut out your Shortcakes , Don’t twist the cookie cutter while cutting make sure to just press it straight down you will get a better fake and rise
- Lift the rounds gently onto a baking tray , covered in parchment
- Gather the scraps and repeat the process
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Remove from Freezer and arrange the discs so they are all just touching
- Brush with Plant based milk and sprinkle with Granulated Sugar
- Bake for about 20 minutes in middle oven, until they’re well risen and golden brown on top 21, Allow to cool on the baking sheet until warm or completely cool before assembling the shortcake.
- In a large bowl, add peaches that you de stoned and sliced , add the sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon . Mix well until the peaches are evenly coated
- Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 60 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine the cold vegan double cream with confectioners /icing sugar
- Whisk them together until soft peaks form. You can do this by hand using a large balloon whisk, or or a hand mixer
- Slice the Shortcakes in half fill with cream and peaches
Here’s the method… it really is a lot easier than you think !!
You really do not want to miss out on these beauties , and whilst we all enjoy our autumnal flavours , a little bit of fruitiness doesn’t go a miss !!
So here are some more pictures to tempt you to my idea of the ultimate palette liven-er during the spice feast of Autum and Winter !!
Now do you want some !!!!
The recipe I should have posted and didst !!! But Don’t Forget you could add any fruit you like to this combo…. don’t be s Strawberry Purist it gets you no where😂😂
Hope you enjoyed this weeks post. 😍😍😍
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow me on WordPress or Instagram and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear.
Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜
2 thoughts on “Gluten Free and Vegan Peaches and Cream Shortcake”
Those will be super yummy. Nectarines are so reliable and I would choose them over the fickle peaches who always promise so much but rarely deliver.
I’m still sitting on cloud 9 after all the kudos I got from making your Brattenberg cake. It feels great!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awe that’s lovely to hear … made my day 😍 … totally agree on the peaches I usually use canned cheaper too if I can’t get decent nectarines 🙊