Summer Fruits are in full swing so a fruity bake is required this week
Though for some the thought of dealing with any type of frosting this time of year, with humidity and no air con its a challenge that wont be on their baking list , unless absolute necessary !!!
I try to keep the blog to a level that makes you feel at ease and comfortable, to at least try to achieve a decent bake no matter what the weather
Allergy baking ( as some may call it ) is never in my book a reason to have substandard and pumped full of unnecessary chemicals to give longevity items !!!
Whatever your dietary issues there is always a way, if you are stuck please give me a shout because if there is a need for something by one person I’m more than happy to give it a go……at least once 😂😂😂
So with that little statement of intent today lets talk CAKE !!!!!
A beautifully moist cake , packed with fruit and crumble on the top !!!
Whats not to like ???? Absolutely nothing unless you don’t like rhubarb or blackberries or even cake 😱😱😱😱
(Should you be reading this ????😂😂😂)
So lets bake some elevenses, just what its needed this week and this cake freezes beautifully so double the recipe make two and bang one in the freezer for laters 😍😍😍
Blackberry and Rhubarb Crumble Loaf GF, DF V
A Summer Bake to tantalise the taste buds in a comforting way
- 50 g Sliced Fresh Rhubarb
- 90 g Blackberries
- 75 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Soya )
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 160 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( If not using your own I recommend dove farms freee Plain flour blend or Pilsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 125 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 30 ml Oil ( I used vegetable )
- 2 tsp Chickpea ( Besan ) Flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 90 g Dairy Free Yogurt ( I used Alpro Plain Soya )
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- FOR THE CRUMBLE TOP
- 50 g Demerara Sugar
- 50 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend
- 50 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork Block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 25 g Whole Oats ( Make sure they are GF Certified if needed , I use Morrison Free From )
- Pre heat your oven to 160 C fan /180 C standard / 350 F
- Grease and line a loaf tin with a strip of parchment
- Clean and slice the rhubarb add the blackberries and set aside
- Add the Apple cider Vinegar to the milk in a small bowl and put to one side ( This will thicken and become buttermilk )
- In a medium size bowl place the GF flour blend, Xanthan (if using )baking powder and cinnamon and whisk together
- Then add the water to the chickpea flour and whisk til smooth
- In a large bowl place the brown sugar , yogurt , curdled milk chickpea flour slop, oil and vanilla and whisk until combined
- Sieve the dry mixed flour etc into the wet combination
- Stir until nearly fully combined a few streaks of flour dont matter
- Add the fruit to the batter
- Stir in gently until combined
- Transfer to loaf tin and smooth surface as best you can
- Make the crumble by adding the Demerara Sugar , oats flour ( no xanthan needed ) and butter and rub in with your fingers until full combined and rugged looking ….like the picture below
- Place on the top of the loaf
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 55 minutes test by inserting a cocktail stick or cake tester into the centre , only a few crumbs should stick
- Take out of the oven, cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool complelety
So there you go, a nice bake for everyday !!
It may not be a winner in the fancy pants stakes ( I can oblige that one but I’m sure one highly decorated cake every few months is enough for most folks to try is enough ), after all majority of us are just ‘good ole’ homebakers !!
So will leave you with some pictures to wet your appetite enjoy
My baking is not everyone’s cup of tea, I’m more than aware of that but I am still grateful for the loyalty show by my followers, true friend and family of course, over my baking journey.
They are in it for the long haul and well you all know who you are …..
Loyalty is key to keeping this journey going …its time consuming and takes up more time than folk imagine unless you live in it !!!
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures
Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear.
Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hashtag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!