Saturdays are for experiments !!!!…..Right !!!
For all my use of alternative ingredients I’m not a Tea Drinker ( am I really English ??)
So add Matcha into the mix and you will see me turning the shade of the powder 🤣
But in for a penny in for a pound and well it is yet another adaption of a cake by the Queen of Cake Flavour …..Tessa Huff ( Out of her Icing on the cake book )
Now I’m not professing that this is a carbon copy or carbon ‘adaption’
There’s no way I’m going to attempt a Genoise Gluten Free Vegan Sponge at the moment, but I’ve ramped up the fluid with milk and yogurt so classing that as a egg replacement win !!
I’ve never tasted Matcha before…….will I taste it again ???
Hell in cake form this is a winner for me, but don’t expect me to be drinking anything green I have my limits 🤣
I will talk a little later after the recipe about the decorating !!
I don’t want or expect you to try this style , unless you want too
This is the first time I’ve even attempted it myself !!
But theres a cake to publicizes
But Im pleased with how it looks…..but lets be fair it has to taste fabulous too 😍
This cake was part of one of my monthly challenges on My Baking Group, so of course I ramped it up to stripes and Buttercream Roses…… just as you do !!
But of course you just do your own thing all the componenets are here for you to try……so lets bake a Match Cake ( and make some Frosting !!! )
Matcha Cake with White Chocolate Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Butter Cream GF, DF V
Decorate in style suitable for your need and skill
Please do not be alarmed at the 20 g of Baking Powder, here in the UK we use Self Raising Flour as a rule for cakes ,and that is 5% of the flour mix here and its a new method of me making sure you get the correct amount
Link for the Frosting Full Method will be given in the recipe to my frosting recipe
Links for cake decorating pointers will be given in the blog post
Cake can be kept in fridge for 7 days covered, bring to room temperature before serving
- THE CAKE
- 380 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( if not using your own blend I recommend Dove farms UK or Pilsbury US)
- 20 g Baking powder yes 20 g !!
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 1 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200 g Dairy free Milk ( I use Alpro Soya ) room temperature
- 200 g Dairy Free Yogurt ( I used Alpro Soy Plain ) room temperature
- 120 g Oil ( I used Sunflower oil )
- 250 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2 1/2 tsp Matcha Powder – SUGAR SYRUP
- 100 g Granulated Sugar
- 150 ml Water
- 1tsp Matcha Powder WHITE CHOCOLATE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM –
- 225 g Aquafaba ( Juice out of a tin of chickpeas or any other legume seed, you will need at least 2 tins )
- 150 g Granulated White Sugar
- 165 g Icing / Confectioners / Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartare
- 225 g Vegan Block Butter ( Stork Block UK , Earth Balance US )
- 165 g Trex ( UK ) or Cristo ( US )
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 140g White GF DF White Chocolate ( I used Plamil )
- 1 tsp Matcha Powder ( optional ) – -DECORATIVE BUTTERCREAM For Flowers
- 110 g Dairy free Butter or Shortening ( I used Trex )
- 280 g Icing / Confectioners Sugar SIFTED
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2/3 tbps of dairy free milk -Gel Colours of Choice
- Pre heat your oven to 160 c convention / 180 C standard / 350 F
- Grease and line your pans of choice
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour blend , baking powder , bi carb and xanthan gum if using
- Whisk together until combined
- Add the sugar , mix in
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bowl including the Matcha
- In a medium bowl measure out the milk
- Add the Yogurt to the milk and whisk til combined
- Add the golden syrup and vanilla essence to the milk and stir until combined
- Add the oil to the milk mixture and whisk til combined
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the milk concoction
- With a hand whisk mix until combined and lump free, batter is quite thick
- Place even amounts of the batter into each pan ( I find this easiest to weigh each one as my pans are the same weight )
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 25 minutes
- Test with a cocktail stick or cake tester in the middle to check for doneness and that it comes out clean
- Remove cakes, leave to cool in pans for 15 minutes then take out of pans and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- If fully decorating I advise to wrap in cling film after this time and place in freezer for an minimum of one hour before trimming and stacking
- Combine water and sugar in small pan and bring to a simmer, simmer for 5 minutes add a teaspoon of Matcha powder and leave to cool ( it will look the colour of pond water !!! don’t worry it adds to the effect of the sliced shot of the cake
- Make Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Buttercream from this Blog Post as directed
- When directions complete add melted white chocolate and stir in and leave in fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to stabilize and solid up if needed
- Unwrap cakes and spoon over the cooled Matcha Sugar Syrup equally between the tops of the cakes
- Stack cakes equally using 40 g of ASMB between each layer
- Decorate as desired add a small amount of Matcha powder to some of the ASMB if you require a flavour match option –
- Beat the Vegan Butter /Trex in a large bowl until soft with a hand mixer or stand mixer
- Sift the icing sugar
- Gradually add the icing sugar in 2 batches and cream until smooth.
- Add the milk and beat until smooth.
- Portion out into small bowls and add food colouring as desired
- Decorate as required
Remember slight cracking doesn’t matter you will be trimming the cakes or even naked it shows a well hydrated non dry bake !!!!!
MAKE BUTTERCREAM IF REQUIRED ( for flowers )
So I need to keep you interested for a little longer
So you need to bear with me a little longer for the crumbporn🤣
Lets talk decorating !!!!
There are a few techniques here that Ive not tried before!!
Stripes !!!! Who would have thought stripes where possible with ASMB !!!
But The Cauldron Apprentice , did treat me to a couple of Posh Scrappers from
Finch Bakery !! ( The UK equivalent of Ester Scrapers !! )
Oh my what a dream, these and the freezer being my friend I never thought i would ever be able be able to achieve this as a creation !!
I can see more purchases in the future….. I’m in love , smooth as
The Cauldron Apprentice Apprentices Bum 🤣
As for the buttercream flowers……I’m a novice so I’ve looked a YouTube and read around. There’s little point me doing videos as well there are far better out there….but what I can tell you is this is my first set done on a flower nail and frozen…..
I will get better with practice, but not too shabby for a first attempt taking into account my hands dont work , so there is a lot of concentration and a far bit of tongue popping out……
YOU DONT KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY !!!
I have obviously given you the recipes that work but I can’t do it for you, but a naked cake will work just fine…..just enjoy the cake that’s all I ask !!
Sorry ive muttered on, I best crack on with some picture !!
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your