The time has come to roll out the best chocolate frosting that I can produce…..and let you into the secret ……. shhhhhh don’t tell anyone 😂
A pillow of chocolate loveliness that will see you right whatever the bake
If you follow the blog you will know I’m not a lover of American Type Buttercream Frosting as a rule……..
( Yes I have a recipe and I will share it eventually, there are a couple of tricks to get decent stable vegan buttercream and not ‘ slop. ‘ But that’s not for today and I have to have a need to make it for a start 🙊🙊 )
I love ermine or heritage frosting if you will, and always thank my good friend Anna from over the pond for introducing something to me that in Britain is just ‘not a thing ‘…….but it has revolutionised my cakes and cupcakes and makes them stand out in the crowd
My Standard version is here
But today I give you the chocoholics dream……..frosting you can eat with a spoon….literally, that is stable and pipe able and well just all things a baker requires
Well there is not alot more I can say on frosting, but its here and ready to use , oh I may have thrown it on a cupcake to show you its glory after the recipe ……well there had to be a reason to use it 😂😂😂
The Best Ever Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Soft and Velvety Chocolate Ermine Frosting GF, DF V
I would advise one and half if you want big tops or a 3 tier 8 in/ 9 in cake
The Recipe fully frosting a 6in 3 layer and 1 1/2 for a 8 in fully frosted
Naked cakes as my usual style 3 8in layers and I have some left over for freezing for cupcakes later ……….you can freeze the leftovers !! I always make my pudding base at least a day in advance ‘ it can also be frozen as can the frosting , bring back to room temperature and we risk ( the frosting not the pudding the pudding just needs room temperature 😜😜)
- 65 g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 30 g Cocoa Powder
- 190 g Granulated sugar
- 375 ml Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 250 g Vegan Butter, From fridge I use Stork Block . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 80 g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 330 g of Non dairy in total, not for me though…….
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 225 g Chocolate Chips ( Gluten Free, Vegan I use Plamiil )
- Combine the flour, sugar, milk in a pan and whisk until combined
- On a low heat, dont rush it it will scorch, and whisking continually bring the pudding to a boil
- Once boiling using a spatula continue to stir the pudding round the sides and the bottom using a folding motion.
- Once the pudding starts to freely come away from the sides, about 2 minutes, transfer to a plate and cover clingfilm to prevent a skin and leave to cool at room temperature
- You can sieve onto a plate if you want to remove any lumps, but this needs to be done quickly ( and with all the frosting I’ve done I’ve only ever done this once because I took my eye off the ball….so it will be your fault if you HAVE TO 🙊)
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 10 second bursts or in a basin over simmering water until melted, set aside to cool
- Once pudding is cool and the chocolate is at room temperature whisk the fats in a mixer with a paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer until fully combined and fluffy about 3 minutes
- Add the cooled pudding a tablespoon at a time making sure its combined before adding another ON HIGH
- Continue to mix until all the pudding is added 10 . Add the melted chocolate to the pudding and whisk on high until all Incorporated
- Add the Vanilla for the last bit of mixing
- You can mush the frosting against the side of the bowl to remove some air or as i do pick up dollops with a spatula and flick it back into the bowl to remove the air……….. be careful it may ‘ fart’ back at you 😂😂😂😂
- Keep at room temperature
- If you need to refrigerate it may separate, bring to room temperature and little but just re whip
- Decorate as desired
So there you go, the chocolate ermine frosting stands alone and proud, I do hope you try it !!!!
If you don’t you are seriously missing out 😜😜😜😜
Right done…………Im off to Granny til next week 😂😂
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family, and awkward ones😂😂