The week has come round so quickly and its time to look at a bake for lunchboxes, your quick cuppa.
Or even if we dare think picnic boxes when the weather improves ( yes a distant dream ) !!
So I give you Flapjack, the easiest of simple bakes …… NOT
Reason you can make them into shards of inedible teeth shattering bin waste very easily.
My very good and personal friend has on many occasion and one of the very reasons I wanted to get this on the blog
Now your going to say and pick hairs whether this is an oat bar, a muesli . or granola bar ……..well the 3 latter ones scream healthy to me and this certainly isnt 😜
And before you over the water start is certainly isn’t a pancake…….so Ive covered all your moaning already !!!
There is another reason !!!
The Yorkshire Flapjack Company and their inspiration from my Coconut Hatting Daughters favourite Flapjack
(sorry there web page would actually allow me to post the link !! But you can get it from here)
Anyway they don’t do GF so it was up to me to look at, and luckily there is always a way I can look at the ingredients list 🙈
Now one diffrence to what I know as standard is the use of Maize flakes !!! ( erm Cornflakes ) and I can get them relatively easily now and use these
Actually I believe there is an old recipe from the Bero ( flour company ) in one of there older cookbooks that uses cornflakes too, but its now no longer published at source
One word of warning please make sure if you are making these for their GF properties make sure your Oats are Gluten Free !!! They are one of the most easily cross contaminated produce that you can find !!
Check out your brands I use Dove farms Freee Porridge Oats
Right lets bake , i will discuss after the recipe a few other pointers and facts !!!
Oat and Maize Flake Flapjack GF, DF V
The British Institution of the Flapjack, with added extras
- 100 g Vegan Butter ( I used stork block or use Earth balance US )
- 100g Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Golden syrup / Maple Syrup
- 50 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( if not using your own blend I recommend Doves Farm UK or Pilsbury US
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 to 2 tsp of Cinnamon dependent on taste ( I used 2 )
- 50 g Porridge Oats ( make sure they are GF I used Dove Farm )
- 75 g Gluten Free Maize flakes ( I used Nestle Go Free Cornflakes )
- 30 g Pumpkin Seeds
- Pre heat your oven to 130 C convection / 150 C Standard / 300 F
- Line and grease an 8 in square baking tin with parchment
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a pan in low, until sugar is dissolved
- In a medium sizes bowl add the flour and baking powder and whisk together
- Add the cinnamon mix in
- Add The oats and mix in
- Weigh the Maize flakes
- Place in a plastic bag and crush
- Add to the flour mix and mix in
- Add the butter mix to the flour maize flake mix and stir in until all is fully covered
- Add the Pumpkin Seeds and stir in
- Tip into the prepared baking tray and press down firmly until packed down and smooth
- Place in oven and bake for 13 minutes ( EXACTLY !!!!!!) They will be soft and wet wtill
- Take out of oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes and then slice with a sharp knife in the tin
- Leave to cool completely and they will ‘soild up’
Now I promised a couple of pointers
Firstly these are thinner than shop bought. I discussed with the Coconut Hater and gram for gram of sugar per flapjack I just couldn’t bring myself not to be responsible. I know this is an easy bake for kids to enjoy and I just needed to be mindful !!!
So if you wish to double the recipe and make them chunky that’s up to you but at your own risk 😈😈😈
Now to oven time, this is with my oven not yours. I am calibrated and regularly check with an oven thermometer but ovens are personal 😜
I have a pic of just what 10 degrees difference and 5 minutes make, the one on the left hit the bin ( and maybe the back of my photos first ) and the right is the correct colour….in this instance golden brown is not what you need !!
So there you go, flapjack…..pimped of course and I need to just say these disappeared in no time
The far cheaper version of the free from bars available by far…..and at last my friend can enjoy without breaking the bank and her teeth 🙊🙊🙊
Can be stored in an air tight container for a week…..but wont last that long !!!
Right now for some flapjack porn 🙈
ope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week