Now before we start I need to say, this maybe binged up to high heaven,
( mainly to draw you in …..because Im devious like that ).
But it is still about the bake and you certainly don’t have to go to these lengths…..but of course you can if you desire 😍😍😍😍
This is a beautiful moist, tender Lemon and Poppy Seed cake with dreamy Lemon Frosting
I bring you this bake to welcome in Spring and to Celebrate Mothers Day on the 22th March . So you have nearly two weeks to get your bake on if you are celebrating !!
The bake is nice and straightforward. I’m no decorating pro and have learnt my decorating skill by watching YouTube and some practice
Mind I’m still the advocate of naked and semi naked cake, but sometimes you need that little bit extra or like me just want to try something new !!
For those a little unsure of where to start I will point you in the right direction……
You cant go wrong with Tessa Huff at Style Sweet for her basic decorating tutorials
Of course I’ve gone step further today and tried my hand at ‘buttercream’ palette knife painting.
‘Buttercream’ is not my usual frosting of choice but for this I decide it was a better option for the moment whilst I learn
So I have included a small batch non butter recipe below
Here’s one of the easier tutorials Ive looked at
Anyway I’ve pimped enough folk, time to crack on with the cake, lets make it special , or lets just make it for you !!!!
Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Ermine Frosting GF, DF V
Decorate in style suitable for your need and skill
Please do not be alarmed at the 20 g of Baking Powder, here in the UK we use Self Raising Flour as a rule for cakes ,and that is 5% of the flour mix here and its a new method of me making sure you get the correct amount
Link for the Frosting Full Method will be given in the recipe to my frosting recipe
Links for cake decorating pointers will be given in the blog post
Cake can be kept in fridge for 7 days covered, bring to room temperature before serving
- -THE CAKE
- 380 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( if not using your own blend I recommend Dove farms UK or Pilsbury US)
- 20 g Baking powder yes 20 g !!
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 1 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200 g Dairy free Milk ( I use Alpro Soya ) room temperature
- 200 g Dairy Free Yogurt ( I used Alpro Soy Plain ) room temperature
- 120 g Oil ( I used Sunflower oil )
- 250 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp Poppy Seeds (can be omitted if required ) – – – THE LEMON FROSTING
- 70 g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 220 g Granulated sugar
- 400 ml / g Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 50 ml Lemon Juice
- 220 g Vegan Butter, I use Pure Dairy Free or Stork Block depending on what I have in . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 180 g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 400 g of Non dairy in total, not for me though…….
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract – – – – -DECORATIVE BUTTERCREAM
- 110 g Dairy free Butter or Shortening ( I used Trex )
- 280 g Icing / Confectioners Sugar SIFTED
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 / 3 tbps of dairy free milk
- Gel Colours of Choice
- Pre heat your oven to 160 c convention / 180 C standard / 350 F
- Grease and line your pans of choice
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour blend , baking powder , bi carb and xanthan gum if using
- Whisk together until combined
- Add the sugar , mix in
- Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bowl
- In a medium bowl measure out the milk and zest the lemons
- Warm the milk and lemon in the microwave for 20 seconds or in a small pan on the hob til body temperature
- Add the Yogurt to the milk and whisk til combined
- Add the golden syrup and vanilla essence to the milk and stir until combined
- Add the oil to the milk mixture and whisk til combined
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the milk concoction
- With a hand whisk mix until combined and lump free, batter is quite thick
- Add Poppy Seeds and mix through until evenly distributed
- Place even amounts of the batter into each pan ( I find this easiest to weigh each one as my pans are the same weight )
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 25 minutes
- Test with a cocktail stick or cake tester in the middle to check for doneness and that it comes out clean
- Remove cakes, leave to cool in pans for 15 minutes then take out of pans and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remember slight cracking doesn’t matter you will be trimming the cakes or even naked it shows a well hydrated non dry bake !!!!!
- If fully decorating I advise to wrap in cling film after this time and place in freezer for an minimum of one hour before trimming and stacking – – – –
- As directed in recipe below with lemon juice sub as in recipe above
- Beat the Vegan Butter /Trex in a large bowl until soft with a hand mixer or stand mixer
- Sift the icing sugar
- Gradually add the icing sugar in 2 batches and cream until smooth.
- Add the milk and beat until smooth.
- Portion out into small bowls and add food colouring as desired
- Decorate as required
MAKE THE ERMINE
You can decorate your cake either fully naked or semi naked please feel free to make you choice . Maybe top with some soft fruit ??????
MAKE BUTTERCREAM IF REQUIRED
Please do not be alarmed at the 20 g of Baking Powder, here in the UK we use Self Raising Flour as a rule for cakes ,and that is 5% of the flour mix here and its a new method of me making sure you get the correct amount!!!!!
So there you go. Of course I went a little further, its all new to me too, but we can share our journey together, anything new I come up with I’m always willing to share
It is not perfect, I’ve a lot to learn, but what its is is the best i could do on the day with a limited knowledge……a starting block to show you that in such a short time ( I’ve only had successful bakes for 3 1/2 years so decorating even less time, maybe 2 years if I’m lucky ).
You can with practice and even physical issues always make something that tastes great and can look pretty even if it should be a pile of dust !!!!!
So as you can guess there are a few pics of this and I was hard pressed to know which ones to include….so Im sorry there are a few
But as is customary the crumbporn will be at the end, it is after all what I am really all about…….the taste the texture and the bake
Oh if you want to fill it with lemon curd don’t forget my curd recipe
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!