What is she up to now !!!!! I can here the exclamation in your mind as you read the title to this post………..shes dabbling in confectionery now 😱
Honestly I’ve not gone totally mad ( well halfway there but like to fool the public 😂)
First and foremost a need…….I bake cakes, I bake cupcakes, its Autumn I would like some bits and tricks for decorating cakes and cupcakes that can be tailormade
Secondly Vegan fudge is not readily available when I go on one of my whims 😂. I want to be able to produce a product at short notice when I feel like it….
I’m a tad organic in my baking style as a rule, I like to start basic with a good solid bake and add to enhance #blingmybake 😜😜
Thirdly Great British Bake Off……..The Nerve, The Audacity DAIRY WEEK !!!!
I repeat DAIRY WEEK !!!!!!!
I blame that Prue cos Paul wouldn’t do that to me 😂😂😂
You can imagine my dismay for all of 30 seconds when I heard that spoiler from the previous week ……….followed by ‘right that’s it I need to show them what can be achieved’ ……..Mishti ……..Indian Milk sweets !!
So out comes Google I’ve to research options…….but because this is a first for me I’m keeping it simple.
I’ve opted for Burfi / Barfi, which comes from the Persian word for Snow ‘Barf ‘……….which is odd as I thought that was Unicorn Vomit 😂😂😂 my good friend Kim told me ………she told me lies 😂😂😂😂😂
So with snow in mind I’m happy on this occasion to go coconut, and thickener…..erm…. Asian subcontinent, Besan Flour is a winner and I do use it for my chapattis so I have that in. You can see where I’m going I hope 😜
Yey I get to use more chickpea products ……..at least I’m consistent 🙈🙈🙈
So I here goes fudge as you’ve never seen it !!
No thermometers no stress and no worry
Can be made nut free, you can make it plain no desiccated coconut, you can shape it how you want and it just improves everyday, but I can assure you it doesn’t last that long
Really you are going to love it……..reason because I do 🙊😂😂😂
Burfi, Indian Fudge GF, DF V
Soft and Flavoursome Indian Milk Sweets.....Well Fudge Really, Flavoured with the classic, Rose and Pistachio
- 100 g Besan / Gram / Chickpea Flour
- 50 g Desiccated Coconut + 2 tbsp
- 50 g Coconut Oil
- 160 g Tinned Coconut milk
- 275 g Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamon
- 1 tsp Rose Water
- Line an 8 in square baking tin with parchment , overlapping at two ends
- Sieve the Besan Flour, this is very important as it can be quite clump forming
- Chop the Pistachios
- In a large frying pan / skillet heat the coconut oil on the hob until melted
- Add the Coconut Milk , Coconut, Besan and Sugar ( don’t forget the sugar my good friend did and it was rank 🙈)
- Stir until combined
- Once it starts to bubble turn the heat down to simmer and stir continuously for 2 minutes and then leave untouched and simmering for 3
- Add the Pistachios, Rose Water and Cardamon and stir, leave to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring every minute to stop it catching
- The mixture will thicken, once you can push it back with a spoon and it rolls back like slow moving lava, then its ready
- Transfer into the 8 in tin, and smooth out , sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of more desiccated coconut
- Leave to cool, about an hour
- Lift out of the tin with the flaps of parchment
- The edges of the parchment will separate from the fudge, knock the edges back to flat with a large knife
- Cut into 16 equal pieces, 4 strips each way
- Now of the hard part 😂
- Take and palate knife and slide it between the fudge and the parchment under each 4 length strip
- With a sharp knife release each piece
- Square off with your fingers
- If you wish to miss the last 3 steps out you can lift each one with a diner knife and roll into balls, that will still work
- Rose Petals if you want to add
- Can be left to air dry for 12 hours if you would like a harder coating
- Will store in an airtight container in the fridge for a month
- Serve at room temperature
So there you go, the easiest way to make vegan fudge…….I’ve put it off for too long and I shouldn’t have its so darn easy
I love the simple flavours of Cardamon, Rose and Pistachio . somethings just pair so well together
Talking Pistachios I need to thank my friend Cindy for these beauties, no shelling and so green, they certainly played their part here
This fudge would finish any meal off and make a treat from the usual chocolate mint based offering and I certainly think they look the part for a celebration
So pictures, I guess you have been good and stuck with the post to the end 😘😘
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week