Well here goes, the post that’s taken an age to get right, recipe wise and the one full of controversy and some lighthearted humour and can be made nut free before you scroll past 😂
Cookies………………………….. really, or biscuit, the long awaited saga that was known in some baking circles as my #internationalbiscuitdebate.
So for international diplomacy and not wanting to cause an international incident of mammoth proportion I’ve made this recipe so it covers us all.
Its all in THE BAKE TIME 😂😂😂😂😂😂
I’m sorry , I’m British these are biscuits, I want to dunk them in my tea ( or any other beverage is allowed ) without the the worry of floaters or even worse, snappage 😱
For you lot that want a ‘cookie ‘ you can have it too, the crispy edges and the soft and chewy in the centre it works for you too………….if you must 🙊😂😂
And hush no mention of your ‘soft scones ‘ aka American biscuits on this post 😂😂😂😂🙊
But we also have another issue other than ‘what it’s called ‘ the great vegan butter issue’…………..not all are equal, differing amounts of water and fat content for a start and well we don’t want over spread, please god NOOOOOOOO
So today we are using oil, oh yes not shortening, not nut butters, oil.
Even though I have used nuts in these for my pleasure, it can easily be subbed out to chocolate alone, you will in fact get a more ‘cookie’ looking biscuit 😂😂😂😂😂😂 and I will post those in the post too ( they are just GF and Egg Free as I used some Salted Caramel Chips in a trial batch )
My choice of egg replacer is Freely Vegan Egg, not readily available in the UK so a lovely International Baking Friend Cindy ( of the ropes 😂😂 ) shipped for me. Reason, im nor and never have been a toal flax lover and this although it has it in is an allround replacer so I cant taste it, for me I can taste flax, so its always been a no go. But I’m still experimenting with it but so far its looking great. I will only be using minimally though on the odd bake, but as I say in the post you can of course use flax egg as your sub
Here’s the link to their site and as you will see my favourite vegan baker Gretchen Price is involved hence my desire to get my hands on the stuff https://freelyvegan.com/the-plant-based-egg/
On a slight detour, it has to be mentioned that yet more international baking input was sought on this, I’m no Cookie expert I usually make British Biscuits far more successfully
So Kerry thanks for the you need ‘cookies on the blog’ moment 🙈, and Molly for checking my edges 😜……………..I do like to get things right even though folk are 1000 of miles away.
Right time to crack on you have had your lecture, lets BAKE
The Intolerance Pistachio and Chocolate Cookie / Biscuit GF, DF V
A Dunker or a Softie, you decide, a Cookie Filled with creamy Pistachio pieces and oh so Dark Chocolate
- 200 g Plain Gluten Free Flour Blend ( I recommend Pilsbury Cup for Cup US or Dove Farm UK)
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your flour blend has it in )
- 100 g White Sugar ( I used Caster / Superfine)
- 50g Brown Sugar
- 50ml Oil ( I find Sunflower best but any neutral oil)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 egg replacer portion, I used Freely Vegan egg Replacer, 2 tsp to 3 tablespoons of water, but you can use flax egg, 1 tbsp to 3 tbsps of water
- 2 tbsps of Non dairy Milk ( i used Soya )
- 30 g Shelled and Chopped Pistachios ( can be omitted for a nut free version just double the chocolate )
- 30 g Chopped Dark Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate
- Preheat Oven to 160C Convection / 180C Standard / 350 F
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper ( not grease-proof paper ) or a slip mat if you prefer but I don’t like them 🙊😂😂
- Mix your egg sub and set aside
- Mix together the Flour, Xanthan Gum and Bicarb with a whisk
- Mix the Oil, Vanilla and egg substitute
- Chop the Pistachios and the Chocolate
- Add the Wet ingredients to the flour mix and get your hands in, oh yes hands😜😜 to combine it It may seem dry but it will start to come together.
- Add the pistachios and chocolate and drizzle over the milk. Mix and then form the dough into a ball
- Divide the dough into 14 portions, mine weighed in at 34g to 36g ( I’m not that fussy 😂😂😂😂😂)
- Roll into balls and place on the baking sheet and cook for 16 minutes
- If you find they don’t spread as much as you want when still warm lightly press down with a spoon, this can be due to the weather and I really dont want you to be adding anymore oil or milk, you will get miffed when they sprea’d
- If you choose the nut free option these cookies will spread a little more so that will not be necessary
- Leave to cool on the tray for 15 minutes as they will be soft
- Transfer onto a wire rack to cool
Well there you go, the universal, snack item😂😂😂😂
I’ve tried every which way possible to get these right, slight variations can lead to needing a little squish with the back of a spoon, and to be honest, I don’t care. I want a universal recipe, leave out the nuts you get more spread, but please don’t add any more additions than the recipe states.
Yes the balls freeze fine and currently there and 6 left in the biscuit tin and still dunkable 😂 and the non nut ones are still not over soft, 5 days later
Right pictures and yes actual crumbporn
On a small side note, I would like to thank my International Baking Compatriot Amanda for pushing these to a realm I couldn’t do. The picture below is Wholewheat (Gluten filled 😂), dairy free and vegan and came out just as well. Its always a fantastic achievement to think you know you can sub into gluten, unlike the other way round which depending on what you want to achieve is never a straight swap for fantastic baking , of course you can argue the toss, but been there read the book and worn the T shirt so I do know. 🙊😜😎
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week