Well Whoopie Pies !!! Up to two years ago all I thought Whoopie was was a crude joke cushion or something a flapper girl did in the in the 1920 🙈😜😂
But was I wrong, questions still need to be asked if this is a cookie or a cake and I still cant find a definitive answer.
But I have done my research, Whoopie pies are the National Treat of Maine in the US, so I knew a man that could enlighten this poor British Soul……….. so I messaged the Whoopie Pie Authority in my baking circle Darryl, so we can all blame him on this one 😂
God forbid if I ever called this a ‘Classic ‘ Whoopie Pie, as it isn’t, mine being Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan it certainly wasn’t going to enter that competition 😂
So what I’m giving you is a cake/ cookie from a description I found online that basically stated that it should be a sticky sweet offering that leaves you licking your fingers…………..so we have no dry cakey cookie here, we have a delicious moist two layered offering with a sticky marshmallow centre and a little fruit as a health option 😜😜😜
Now for the advise, don’t touch the top to see if they are done in the oven, ( my awesome mate again !!!!!! ) Don’t try and stack them, ( unless your doing photography 😂😂) they stick together quickly and eat them with 24 hour…………. store in the fridge in air tight and then just take out for 15 minutes to warm up.
They are fragile beasts and the Aquafaba Meringue can either stand up days or last only 36 hours, I’m guessing that’s a humidity thing and it was raining a lot the weekend I did these.
I have had other meringue last days in the fridge but I can only tell you what happened that weekend to be truthful.
I tried various ways to do these, including subbing in fruit puree, gave a nice dome but very dense on this occasion, so this is my preferred version.
So lets make ‘Whoopie’ !!!!!!!! ( Ohhhh I’ve always wanted to say that 😂) and no CANDY thermometer needed too boot
Lemon Whoopie Pies with Aquafaba Marshmallow Fluff. GF, DF V
Lemony and Sticky Whoopie Pies, Finger licking good
- 95 g Plain Gluten Free Flour Blend ( I recommend Pilsbury Cup for Cup US or Dove Farm UK)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your flour blend has it in )
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8th tsp Salt
- 60 mls Non Dairy Milk, I used Soya
- 30 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Neutral Oil ( I used sunflower )
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Vanilla Extract
- Zest of one lemon, about a 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 tbsp Icing / Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tbsp freeze dried fruit powder
- 120 mls of Aquafaba ( Chickpea Brine out of the tin)
- 100 g White sugar ( used Caster / Superfine )
- 110 g Icing Sugar / Confectioners Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For The Pies
For the Fluff
- Preheat Oven to 170 Convection / 190 Standard / 375 F
- Cover to baking trays with Parchment or a slip mat ( I prefer parchment)
- Mix together the Flour, Xanthan Gum, Baking Powder, Baking soda, sugar and salt with a whisk and then sieve to aerate
- Measure the milk and grate in the lemon zest and warm in the microwave for 20 second ( can be done over a pan of simmering water )
- Add the applesauce , oil , water , vinegar and vanilla to the lemon milk
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold with a spatula until smooth ( you cant over mix you’ve no gluten but calm your passion no need to go to mad 😜)
- Using a Tablespoon or Small Cookie Scoop place 16 mounds of batter onto the parchment, spaced out about an 3cm / 1in apart. I find just tipping the scoop to let it fall off is easiest .
- Bake for 8 minutes until they have puffed up and starting to go light brown at the edges DO NOT TOUCH THE TOPS 🙊🙈🙈
- Remove from the oven, leave on a baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool
- Heat the Aquafaba and Sugar in a pan over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, simmering for 5 minutes for caster and 7 for granulated and i said simmer not boil to death 😜😜😜😜 There should be no feeling of grittiness at the pan then you scrape it with a spoon
- Leave to cool completely , I tend to stand mine in the sink in cold water, remember to leave a spoon in you don’t want it floating over and losing your hard work
- Once cool transfer to a mixer with a whisk attachment and whip on high until it increases in volume and starts to leave a trail when you lift the whisk
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tps of icing sugar, the cream, of tartar and the xanthan gum
- Then a teaspoon at a time add it to the Aquafaba whilst whisking
- Once the Aquafaba has increased in volume and strength, you will see it happen it becomes thicker add the rest of the sugar a tbsp at a time. This whole process can take a good 10 minutes or more, don’t fret it will whisk
- Add the vanilla extract
- Transfer your Marshmallow into a piping bag, or using a spoon, place it on half of the pies
- Sprinkle with Freeze dried fruit, and top with a lid
- Sprinkle with Icing sugar and now get sticky
PEEL THE PAPER FROM THE COOKIE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO JUST PICK THEM OFF……………………..
Make the Fluff
Hope you enjoyed the recipe!!!!!!
So there you go, I’ve introduced you to Aquafaba Marshmallow fluff which is the same principles for any meringue type aquafaba , my recipe for this is based on a recipe out of Gretchen Prices Modern Vegan Baking Book, here’s the link to her site and you can see the book there, well worth the investment if you are dairy free, she doesn’t cover gluten dairy free but her recipe modifications can shed some light on the way I need to go https://www.gretchensveganbakery.com/about-me/
Best give you some nice picks, some crumbporn and some general stickiness
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜