Tomorrow is ‘ Stir up Sunday ‘……
A Centuries old tradition where home cooks spend the last Sunday before Advent ‘stirring up’ their Christmas puddings
In the years since the tradition started, cooks now use the occasion to make their Christmas Puddings , Christmas Cakes or Sweet Mincemeat
I’ve a traditional Christmas Cake and pudding already on the blog…..
But this year we need a real treat !!!
So I’m here to fulfil your wishes……
A Chocolate Fruit Cake 😜😜😜😜 Full of Christmas Spirit 😂😂😂
There is only one person to blame for this and this is Anne !!!
Friendship through baking ……..no better kind 😍😍😍
Its time for me to reciprocate in mutilating Anne’s Fully loaded Cake to one that is a ‘ Pile of Dust ‘🙊🙊🙊…….as Anne has mutilated many for mine from piles of dust to actual bakes 😂😂
We are going full blown luxury this year 😍😍
The blog is written in real time so this is a cake recipe…..decoration is up to you !
Mine will not be done til the weekend before Christmas
This cake can be traditionally fed with alcohol ( other alternatives are in the recipe notes ) weekly up to Christmas , but if you are late to the party fear not it is a great cake in is non fed form 😍😍
So lets get going ……. Stir up Sunday here we come
Chocolate Christmas Fruit Cake GF, DF V
A Twist on the Traditional Rich Boiled Fruit Cake , Loaded with Chocolate and Rum
- 600 g Mixed Dried Fruit ( I used the following )
- 130 g Raisins
- 100 g Sultanas
- 100 g Currants
- 70 g Apricots ( Chopped finely )
- 70 g Prunes ( Chopped finely )
- 70 g Cranberries
- 60 g Cherries
- 100 g 55% Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate ( I use Plamil )
- 130 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork Block , Earth Balance is the alternative in the US )
- 175 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 175 g Golden Syrup , Maple Syrup, or Agave Syrup
- 100 ml Pure Orange Juice
- 125 ml Dark Rum ( Extra Orange Juice or Cold Black Coffee if Alcohol Free )
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice / Pumpkin Spice
- 20 g Gluten Free Vegan Cocoa Powder ( I used Green and Blacks )
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 6 tbsp Water
- 3 tbsp Chickpea/ Besan Flour
- 3 tbs Water
- LAST 4 INGREDIENTS ABOVE CAN BE SUBBED FOR 3 LARGE EGGS
- 150 g Gluten Free Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms Freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 75 g Fine Ground Polenta /Cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- Prepare your dried fruit , chop where necessary and place in a large pan ready for the hob
- Add the Chocolate, butter , sugar, golden syrup ,orange juice , rum , mixed spice , cocoa powder
- Slowly melt on a low heat, on the hob until the butter has melted
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for to minutes until fruit has plumped
- Take off the heat and let stand for 30 minutes to cool
- Turn on the oven to 150 C/ 300 F ( I didn’t cook on convection with this recipe )
- Add the 6 tbsp of water to the chia seeds and leave to turn gloppy
- Add the Flour, Polenta , Baking Powder, Xanthan Gum , Bicarbonate of Soda to a bowl, whisk and then sieve
- Double line the baking tin with two layers of baking parchment
- After 30 minutes mix the chickpea flour and 3 tbsp water to form a smooth paste
- Add that and the chia seed glop to the cooled pan mixture and using a wooden spoon mix in
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in the pan and mix until it is all combined
- Transfer into the prepared tin
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 2 hours , until the top is set and a cocktail stick or cake tester comes out clean from the centre
- Place on a wire rack in tin
- After an hour remove from tin and leave to cool complete
- Feeding the cake weekly is optional with this cake ( a weekly dose of a tbsp alcohol or tea )
- Wrap in parchment and tin foil tighly
- Can be stored for ……. lets say 2 months ( Anne leaves hers ages !!! 😂😂😂)
- Decorate as desired / or not 😂😂
Good thing some to those who wait !!!
Or not if you can’t . But the smell emanating through the house whilst making this cake brings that warm and comforting fuzzy feeling of Christmas
This year we all need some early festive cheer and this one way to give it !!
I leave you just with CAKE, what and how you wish to dress it up and when is your decision……glace fruits, or marzipan and royal or fondant icing ……the choices are never ending
Now for some festive pics ( in November !!!!! )
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family and friends, especially the intolerant ones 💜💜