Autumn is on the way and the thoughts of comfort food is first and foremost
As i look back at whats on The Blog last year there is a glaring hole !!!🙈
Where’s ‘The Crumble ‘ the national dish of Autumn and Winter ( Spring and Summer too ) , the home bakers quick fix to keep the family happy
And frugal to, using up what ever is there in the fruit bowl 😍😍
So Im here this week to rectify it with my crumble version
The key to a good crumble is Demerara sugar , I believe this is Turbinado Sugar over the pond….the bigger sugar crystal and light caramel flavour , give the crumble a beautiful texture and smooth flavour
Demerara suagr is available in any major supermarket in the baking Aisle near the soft brown type
For me Crumble has part Oats, it stops the Gluten Free element soaking up everything and sinking into your fruit !!
I am a believer of the earlier the better, I don’t precook my fruit, I cut it to an appropriate size, that being said depending on the level of ‘bite ‘ you want left in your fruit and the type and ripeness 10 minutes more may be needed……
So 30 minutes minimum and then cover it for the rest of the time with foil
Did you know crumble originates from World War 2 when there wasn’t enough ingredients to make a pie !!!!
There goes your history lesson for the week 😜
I’ve even given a quick recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Custard, not the posh version just the every day homemakers version, no expensive vanilla pods, just some extract, but feel free to add a little vegan cream and vanilla seeds and pods if you have the urge to be posh !!!
Right lets crack on
Pear Plum and Chocolate Crumble with Vanilla Custard......... GF, DF V
All the comfort of a homely crumble, with autumnal fruits , the luxury of chocolate and crispy but soft crumble cinnamon topping
- 5 ripe Pears ( I used Conference )
- 4 Plums
- 50 g Gluten Free Dairy Free Chocolate ( I use Plamil ) OPTIONAL
- 50 g Soft Brown Sugar – – –
- For The Crumble
- 100 g Demerera Sugar
- 100 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove farms Freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 70 g Gluten Free Oats ( Make sure they are GF Certified if needed I use Morrisons Free Whole Oats )
- 100 g Vegan Block Butter ( i Used Pure Sunflower or Earth Balance US)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 50 g Gluten Free / Vegan Chocolate ( I use Plamil ) OPTIONAL – – –
- For The Custard
- 600 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Alpro Soya )
- 25 g Cornflour /Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 40 g Granulated White Sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 160 C Fan / 180 C standard / 320 F
- Measure the flour, vegan butter , oats , cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and rub the fat into the dry ingredients with your fingers until it resembles chunky bread crumbs
- Add the demerara sugar and stir in
- Add 50 g chocolate and stir in , set aside
- Peel the Pears and cut into 1 in pieces
- Stone and quarter the Plums
- Arrange in your dish, added the lemon zest
- Top with Brown Sugar and the the 50 g Chocolate
- Place the premade crumble on the top and lightly press in
- Place on a baking tray and cook in the middle shelf of the oven
- Bake for 30/40 minutes depending how soft you require your fruit ( I like a slight bite left in mine ) 12.If baking for 40 minutes tent the crumble on the top with foil to prevent burning
- Remove from oven and leave to stand – – – Make the Custard
- Measure the milk into a saucepan then remove 4 tablespoons of the milk to a bowl.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract to the saucepan.
- On a low heat , heat the milk, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the milk almost to the boil then take it off the heat.
- Add the cornflour to the cold milk stirring to make a smooth paste.
- Poor half of the hot milk onto the paste stirring as you do this.
- Tip the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Return the pan to the heat on a low heat and stir as the custard thickens.
- Allow the custard to bubble gently and cook for a minute while stirring.
- Pour the custard into a jug and serve.
- Custard needs to be served fresh , crumble will last 3 days in the fridge covered , microwave to reheat or 10 minutes in a warm oven
There’s little can be said about A Crumble, it does what it says on the tin, but I’ve opted to jazz it up with chocolate, it really takes it to another level
The variations are endless and I’m sure other recipes will hot the blog over time , crumble based 😜😜😜
So will give you some quick pics to tempt you further
Nothing beats a GOOD Crumble !!!!!
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on Word Press or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜