This week I’m bring the summer holidays to you with my version of a Tropical Fruit Tart
Gluten Free and Vegan, Pate Sucree ( French Sweet Pastry ) and Coconut Pastry Cream
Reason…… I set a challenge that entailed mutilating the ‘ Queen of Layered Cakes’ Tessa Huffs Tropical Tart from The Icing on The Cake Book
Someone help me if Tessa ever reads the blog 🙈🙈🙈🙈 I’ve mutilated so many its been an absolute revelation and a journey I am thoroughly enjoying, so there will be more to come I’m sure !!!!
I’ve not made this particular type of pastry before and oh my did it work a treat
And I usually stay away from coconut unless its an obvious choice……this one is , tropical holidays mean its there and compliments the bake
Obvious straight away from the title , near enough so if you have an allergy or loathing of it I would walk away from the post now 😜😜😜😜
So we have a crisp but crumbly pastry shell, creamy coconut cream, stable enough to with stand a knife and oodles and oodles of fresh fruit !!!!
My idea of holiday on a plate 😍😍😍
Its quite a long recipe and may seem a little daunting, I did make this over a couple of days ( because of the day job etc etc ) but it could easily be made in an evening left to firm over night and dressed for next day
Its a real show stopper and there’s no limit on the fruits you can use , I stop purely with tropical fruits except a few blueberries to add a contrast in colour
But the only reason was for my own and to fit the tropical theme !!!
So lets bake a tart and bring the summer to your home and the dream of beaches and warm sunshine ☀️🌅
Tropical Tart GF, DF V
A Tropical Fruit Tart with a Coconut Pastry Cream and Pate Sucree inspired Pastry
- 100 g Vegan Block Butter ( I used Stock block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 40 g Icing / Confectioners Sugar
- 25 g Apple Sauce ( Unsweetened I use Bramley Apples )
- 1/2 Vanilla pod spilt and seeds removed
- 1/2 lemon Finely zested
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 170 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( if not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms Freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder – For the Pastry Cream
- 100 g Silken Tofu
- 240 ml Coconut cream Full Fat ( I use Biona but you but you can use full fat coconut milk leave in fridge overnight as skim cream off top )
- 240 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Soya )
- 100 g Granulated white Sugar
- 85 g Cornflour
- 18 g Gluten free Flour blend
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 25 g vegan butter
- Coconut extract to taste ( I use Foodie Flavours ) optional – –
- Variety of tropical fruits ( or what takes your fancy
- 1 tbsp Flaked Coconut
-For The Pastry
- Combine the Gluten Free Flour blend , xanthan gum ( if using ) and baking powder in a bowl, whisk together and the sieve. Set aside
- Using as Stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer , beat the butter for 2 minutes until smooth
- Scrap down the bowl, add the icing sugar and mix on medium until smooth and creamy
- Add the applesauce and mix until combined
- With the mixer set to low, add the vanilla seeds and lemon zest and juice , mix again til just incorporated
- With a spatula or wooden spoon add the flour blend and mix gently until the flour has just Incorporated, do not over mix
- Press the dough together, turn out onto some cling film and wrap in a disc
- Place in the fridge for minimum of one hour, if extremely warm I would suggest leaving it overnight
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and rest at room temperature for 10 minutes
- Roll out between two pieces of clingfilm to a size 2in bigger than your tin
- Remove the top layer of clingfilm and flip the pastry over into the tin, CAREFULLY and remove clingfilm
- Press lightly into the sides
- With a sharp knife run it round the top of the tin to trim off excess
- Wrap loosely and place back in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 160 C Fan / 175 C Standard / 350 F
- Line the tart dough in the tin with foil and fill with baking beans or rice ( in my case dried peas I’ve used for years …..must get more I’ve lost some !!! )
- Place the tart tin on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove the tart from the oven and carefully remove the foil and beans
- Return the pastry case to the oven and bake for another 7 minutes until lightly browned
- Weigh out the cornflour and gluten free pastry into a small bowl, remove 5 tablespoons of with coconut cream or soya milk from tour allowance and mix until smooth
- Add The Coconut cream, Dairy Free Cream and sugar to a pan and place on a low heat
- Once it starts to warm add the cornflour mix and whisk continually until it starts to thicken
- Continue to cook and whisk on a low heat for another 3 minutes it will be thick and blobby
- Remove from heat and add the vegan butter ( Whisk in ……I FORGOT THE PIC !!!! ) ransfer into a bowl covered in clingfilm so it is touching the the surface to stop a skin forming
- In a food processor blend the tofu until smooth
- Add Coconut extract to taste as required
- Add the pastry cream to the tart shell and transfer to the fridge to ‘ firm up ‘ a little ( an hour will be enough )
- Decorate as desired
- If toasting coconut , I just do mine in a dry frying pan on low and watch it carefully, as soon as its done remove from heat AND the pan
Don’t worry if you need to patch anywhere that’s fine
REMEMBER THE BASE IS LOOSE DONT POP THE PASTRY OUT !!! ( yep been there and cried 🙈🙈)
FOR THE PASTRY CREAM
25 . Leave at room temperature cool for an hour
27 Add the base cream to the tofu with the vanilla extract and whisk til smooth
I really hope you enjoy the process of making this tart……Im so delighted how it turned out !!
Even the other half who has no intolerance’s whatsoever enjoyed this thoroughly.
Luckily Coconut Hating Cauldron Apprentice is on post delivery weight loss, so no need for a taste tester 😂😂😂
And The cauldron Apprentice Apprentice still isn’t on solids, but enjoyed the sniff test 😜😜😜
So here’s some more pics and I’m now moving onto a new level of photography, I’m sure I’m not always going to get it right but thanks to Kayla for giving me the confidence to move onto RAW format ……its always a leap of faith to try something new
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures
Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear.
Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hashtag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!