Well with many of us leading a very strange carry on at the moment, with social distancing and self isolation I like my weekly blog to overcome some of the issues we may face ……as they occur !!
So with minimal shopping trips on the cards for me for a while I’m looking for something to inspire you that you may have forgot or not even know about .
Lets talk commercial Gluten free bread……or rather lets not 😜😜
Lets talk 2 day old gluten free bread !!!! Yep the type that is only good for toast…..at a push slathered in something wet to help it 🙈🙈🙈🙈
Yes we can make breadcrumbs to make the expense of the purchase worth it, but I wanted a minimal fuss easy bake, whats available and needs using up, that’s will be comfort food in one
You may even have 10 tonne of breadcrumbs in the freezer if you are lucky and canny 🙊🙊🙊 ( i do but actually had a small loaf due to a baking challenge of at treacle tart this week that I had in the freezer stash )
Now Brown Betty is an American Dessert from 1846 !!! So I’ve done some reading and come up with my version!! ( Thank you for your patience over the pond I got round to a recipe eventually )
And I will tell you something its totally surprised everyone, its lighter than crumble and makes a lovely change especially with spring here.
You can use what ever fruit you have at hand and needs using up….you just wont regret it and means fresh fruit doesn’t go to waste at this time and we are all after making shopping go along way
You can half this recipe and put it in ramekins or a small pie dish it will serve 3/4 or maybe one on a bad day 😜😜😜😜
Right lets get baking and enjoying our food as we should do, getting the most out of everything we have at hand……its time to fall in love with it again and actually have time to do it !! ( I’m obviously working but everyone else is at home so I have ‘chiefwasheruppers ‘😂😂😂
Fruit Brown Betty GF, DF V
Fresh Fruit combined with Leftover Bread , makes a delicious alternative to crumble
It has only been tested with fresh fruit but feel free to use frozen but defrost before use and discard fluid
- 200 g Gluten Free Bread
- 95 g of Vegan Butter I used Stork block ( UK ) or Earth Balance US )
- 1 kg of mixed fruit
- 2 tbsp of Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornflour / Cornstarch
- 150 ml Water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- zest of one small lemon
- 80 g demerara sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Whizz bread to chunky crumbs in a food processor.
- Spread over a large baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins, stirring now and then until evenly crisp
- Place the breadcrumbs into a large bowl and stir in the melted butter, demerara sugar and cinnamon
- Put the plums, caster sugar and cornflour into a large lidded pan, stir til combined
- Add Lemon zest and stir til combined
- Add 150 ml water, cover and simmer on LOW with lid on for 15-20 mins.
- Place half the fruit in the dish and layer with half the breadcrumb mix
- Cover that with more fruit and top with the remaining breadcrumbs
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool a little its hot and may burn your mouth serve with cream custard yogurt or ice cream !!!
So there you go……so easy and a new one for my repertoire…… it is the first but will certainly not be the last !!!
Feel free to peel your fruit but I prefer to wash and keep the skin on for extra bite and fibre….. that’s just my preference
By all means use your fancy breads if you can get then they will work too
Now for some ~breadcrumb porn 🙈🙊😂😂
Just look at that Juicy little number 😜😜
Are You Ready ????
Pour on the cream😍😍😍
Look longingly at it for a moment 😍😜🙊🙊😂
Whoopsie All Gone 😜😜😜😜
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!