So its time to balance things up here on The Blog ………..we’ve had S’mores last week, with all its fluffy American vibes 😜😜😜😜
Lets get back to Britain, and especially ‘Up North ‘, where I actually live….Just on the cusp of the Yorkshire Dales National Park and the Dark Satanic Mills of Lancashire ( as written in Jerusalem by William Blake ….not my a words…honest )🙊
So Parkin it is and if you are from ‘Down South’ you probably haven’t a clue either……let alone ‘across the pond’ or ‘down under ‘
So a quick summary…….its a ‘Stick to your ribs’ Cake. Packed with goodness, not for the faint hearted and isn’t in the the slightest bit healthy 😂😂😂
A heady mix of Golden Syrup, Black Treacle , butter/ lard ( okay not in my case obviously ) , flour, oats and a large helping of ground ginger
A good traditional cake, the actual first recipe was 1728……its old it really is
The best part about this cake is its not pretty, it doesn’t have to be !!!
Served around Bonfire Night on the 5th November and Winter its dark….you cant see it 😂😂😂
Or smoother it with custard if you have too….or ice cream if you must !!!! Me I like it plain, with my coffee to savour the flavour…….this is a cake that ‘GIVES YOU A HUG’😍😍😍
So recipes….digging about I found out that Lancashire recipes are eggless and Yorkshire Recipes have egg…….easy you may say…..not if you are from or live in Yorkshire ….we did have a war you know !!!!!
So I consulted The Parkin Guru……Kerry 😂😂😂 who actually in Northern Ireland because she doesn’t care as long as its good Parkin 🙊🙊🙊🙊
Guess what she picked Paul’s 😍😍😍😍😍…….. ‘be still my beating heart ‘
And would you believe this recipe is Yorkshire threw and threw……so off I went on my merry way
This is a cake you want to make…..its there for the taking , reviving a classic bake made in home kitchens for years
Lets talk Golden Syrup and Treacle….i know it can be purchesed overseas on Amazon or in the International section in the stores……it is however not corn syrup dont even go there
https://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com this is the syrup I use
https://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/our-range/our-classic-tin/product-black-treacle this is the Black Treacle
I very rarely use flax egg, I can taste it and hate the speckles…but for this bake, you cant see it and cant taste it !!! It’s more than useful so stuck with that as the egg sub……I learn every time I attempt a new bake to be open minded with egg subs…..not every cake fits one type you have to choose the right one for the job .
Parkin is best left for at least 24 hours, wrapped in parchment and foil ( still in the tin ) ‘to come again’ . Northern speak for getting sticky and luschious….the longer you leave it the better
Yorkshire Parkin GF, DF V
A traditional Northern British Cake, with Oatmeal and Ginger
- 200g g Vegan butter ( I used Pure, UK US equivalent Earth Balance )
- 110 g Golden Syrup
- 110 g Treacle
- 2 flax eggs ( 2 tbps flax meal in 6 tbsp of water )
- 140 ml Dairy free milk ( I used soya )
- 225 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( Doves farm UK or PIlsbury US if you are not using your own blend )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend has it in )
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tablespoon of Ginger ( yes tablespoon )
- 225 g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 225 g Oatmeal, Rolled Oats or steel cut you can use a food processor for the last two ( make sure it is GF certified i used Morrisons Free From )
- Pre heat your oven to 160 C Fan / 170 C standard / 340 F
- Line your tin with Parchment Paper
- Blitz Oats in Food Processor if necessary
- Make up your vegan egg replacer ( flax in this case for me cos I cant taste or see it 😜😜😜 and let it stand for 15 minutes to get gloopy )
- Melt the Vegan butter , Golden syrup and Treacle in a pan on the hob on low until the butter has melted….take off the heat
- Mix the Gluten Free flour, Xanthan gum , Bicarb and ginger in a bowl with a whisk…..yey shes not making me sieve 😂😂😂😂😂
- Add the sugar and the oats to the flour mix and mix it with your hands rubbing the dry ingredients together to remove any stubborn sugar lumps until its all uniform and …… erm well mixed
- Add the Flax gloop to the milk and give it a quick stir
- Add the butter / syrup and the milk egg mix to the dry ingredients
- Stir until combined
- Slop into your baking tin , it will smooth out quickly
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 50 minutes
- Take out of the oven, the top maybe cracked and it may sink in the middle, that doesn’t matter this is farm house cooking at its best
- Leave to cool on a wire rack in the tin
- Wrap in Parchment and foil for at least 24 hours so it ‘ comes again ‘ ( if you haven’t read the post shame on you 🙊🙊🙊…..gets sticky 😂😂 )
So there you go…….the easiest Winter cake you could ever make, the cracks disappear more ‘as it comes ‘ 🙈
If you don’t make this this winter you really are missing out on something special
Now for the all important Crumbporn….. prepare yourself 😜😜😜😜
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜
2 thoughts on “Parkin ‘Its Cold up North’”
Looks great. If I’m ok with eggs could I replace the flax eggs with 1 or 2 eggs? Look alike another great recipe thank you.
Hi becky …. yes 2 medium eggs will do it 💜💜