Let me get my hands on the British institution of a Jaffa cake. The cake that’s caused controversy as its a cake sold in the biscuit aisle
You can read it all here, its on Wiki so it must be true
But I’m going to make it more controversial and make an adult version …
Mulled Wine .. not ‘ Jaffa ‘ Cakes 😂😂😂
I’ve checked the only person to have done something similar is ME !!!! I made a Mulled wine version of my Jaffa Cake Cake for The Wellbeing Lounge a year back…. You can fine it on Instagram
So if you see these in the shops next year you know where you saw them first 😂😂
But of course these are Gluten Free and Vegan …. so thats highly unlikely 😂😂
Just a quick note on Mulled wine, you will find that most Supermarket own brand is vegan, but you can also make your own
Plus there are plenty of non alcoholic versions on the market too
So lets crack on with these delights ……. oh yes lets get festive !!!
Mulled Wine Jaffa Cakes GF, DF V
The Iconic Jaffa Cake with a seasonal twist, sift sponge , mulled wine jelly and chocolate covered top whats not to like !!!
If using agar powder and not premade jelly use add to water and mulled wine and 20 g sugar bring to boiling point then follow directions from
- 100 ml water
- 75 ml mulled wine
- 85 g Vegan Jelly crystals ( I used Just Whole Foods Raspberry )
- 100 g Gluten Free Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms Plain Flour Free UK of Pillsbury US )
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( Omit if your blend contains it )
- 60 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 110 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I Used Alpro Soya )
- 50 mls Neutral Oil ( I used Sunflower oil )
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Fruit Jam
- 150 g Vegan Chocolate ( I used Vegan Chocolat / Plamil Oat M!lk Chocolate 47% )
- Star Sprinkles optional
- Heat the oven on 160 C fan / 180 C standard / 350 F
- Line a baking tray 12′ x 8 x with cling film and set aside
- Add the jelly crystals to a small jug or bowl ( If using agar follow instructions in the notes section above )
- On the hob bring to the boil the water and the mulled wine
- Pour over the crystals and mix until crystals are dissolved
- Pour the Jelly mix on the lined baking sheet and place in the fridge to set
- Spray or grease your tin with oil
- Whisk and sieve the Flour blend, Baking Powder, Xanthan Gum , and caster sugar into a bowl
- In a medium bowl whisk the milk oil and vanilla extract until foamy
- Add to the flour mixed bowl and whisk until smooth and combined
- Divide equally between the 12 tins ( Mine was 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp in each !!! )
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Take on of the oven leave to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to go cold ( I like to place tea towel on top to prevent marking )
- Take your Jelly out of the fridge. Cut 12 discs from the jelly using a 5cm/2in round cutter.
- Place your cake back in the tin and brush a little jam on each one
- Sit one jelly disc on top of each sponge.
- Place the tin in the freezer for 20 minutes to set the cake ready for dipping
- Melt the chocolate in a medium over a bain marie of water or in the microwave in 20 second burst until smooth
- Remove the cakes from the freezer and dip each one jelly side down into the chocolate ( tricky but does work , if you do not feel comfortable with that just cover it by using a spoon )
- When the chocolate has hardened slightly using a hot standard dinner knife , make the criss cross pattern on the top )
- Star Sprinkles optional !!
I hope you enjoyed reading the recipe, because i really enjoyed making these cakes
…The smell in the kichen was so Christmasy it got me in the mood ( For all of 30 minutes😂)
Its a starter cake for Entremets , British style …. simple but effective
Jaffa Cakes are notoriously dry …. these are not !! These are just in a different league !!
Hope you enjoyed the post. Don’t forget you saw it here first !!😂😂😂
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week