Well this is a bake that I honestly didn’t think I would end up sharing this year !
Mainly because the whole world seems to be going Pumpkin Spice mad at the moment
But YEY we have had our summer extended this week , with a mini heatwave in the UK , so it has given me the opportunity to get this one on The Blog and into the open
An Ice Cream Cake …… I’m not ready quite for Autumn Vibes !!!
Not only does it have Cake and Ice cream, it has Chocolate and Sprinkles !!
And infact this is my very own birthday cake , last month
The recipe is inspired by the cake developed by Sally From Sally’s Baking Addiction and Augusts monthly challenge
So challenge was accepted by myself 😂 to adapt the recipe to Gluten Free and Vegan and was it worth it !!!
It most certainly was !!! Hence why its now here
The photos taken are not extensive , this cake was made on the day I came off a week of night duty ready for ‘ My Day ,
But I’m sure you can tell , this cake will repeated and I may not wait til summer
An Ice cream Cake is actually something I’ve never made so I was excited to see how it turned out
There is in the recipe a link to Sally’s Video so you can check how to construct it , if you are at all unsure
This cake is a two day job so plan ahead and you wont be disappointed
So Lets Crack on
Ice Cream Cake GF, DF V
This ice cream loaf cake with layers of Funfetti cake, strawberry ice cream topped with chocolate ganache and more sprinkles
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 220 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms Free UK or Pillsbury US )
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit of your blend contains it )
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 70 g Unsalted Dairy Free Butter ( Block not spread , I used Flora Plant Based )
- 200 g Caster Sugar
- 80 g Dairy Free Greek Style Yogurt ( I used Alpro )
- 180 g Dairy Free Milk ( I used Plamil Organic Soya )
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 40 g Gluten Free / Vegan Sprinkles ( do not use non pareils I used Sweetapolia )
- GANACHE -180 g Gluten free Vegan Chocolate ( I used Plamil / So Free Chocolate -1 litre of Gluten free Vegan Ice Cream ( I used Morrison Strawberry )
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 160 C Fan/ 177°C Standard .
- Line 9×5 inch loaf pan with a parchment strip
- Add the water to the chia seeds and leave to bloom and go gloopy
- Sieve the flour, xanthan gum ( If using ) baking powder, baking soda, together in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted the butter and leave it to slightly cool
- Add the chia gloop, caster sugar, yogurt , milk, and vanilla together until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then whisk to completely combine.
- Add the sprinkles and mix LIGHTLY trying to ovoid much sprinkle bleed
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake loaf cake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, covering loosely with foil about halfway through to prevent the top from over-browning.
- . Bake loaf cake for 50 minutes , covering loosely with foil about halfway through to prevent the top from going to brown
- Test with a cocktail stick or cake tester if it comes out clean the cake is done
- remove from the oven and place on a wire rack and leave to cool in the pan
- when cool wrap in clingfilm or foil and place in the fridge for at least an hour
- Place the cake on a cutting board and using a very sharp or serrated knife, slowly slice horizontally into 3 even layers.
- Remove ice cream from freezer. Let it soften for 15 minutes or microwave it for about 20-30 seconds.
- Line loaf pan with clingfilm with enough overhang on the sides to lift the ice cream loaf cake out of the pan after freezing.
- Place bottom loaf cake layer into lined pan. Slowly and carefully spread 500 ml of softened ice cream in an even layer on top.
- Top with center loaf cake layer. Slowly and carefully spread 2nd 500ml of ice cream evenly on top.
- Place top loaf cake layer on top, pressing it down gently so it really sticks to the ice cream beneath it.
- Cover assembled loaf cake with aluminum foil or clingfilm and freeze for at least 8 hours and up to 3 days
- With about 15 minutes before finishing off , make the ganache topping:
- Place chopped / buttons of chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer.
- Pour over chocolate, then let it sit for 2-3 minutes to gently soften the chocolate.
- With a spatula, very slowly stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted it may look grainy keep going
- Set aside for 10 minutes to thicken as you complete the next step.
- Remove loaf cake from the freezer and using the cling film overhang on the sides, carefully lift it out of the loaf pan. Remove the cling film from cake and place cake on a serving board.
- Pour and spread Ganache on top.
- Finish with sprinkles if desired.
- The Ganache will set quickly since the loaf is so cold. Let the cake sit for 10 minutes to slightly soften before slicing or you knife may break
- Using a very sharp or serrated knife, cut into slices about 2 cm thick.
- Cake will be hard since it’s frozen, but will defrost and soften
- I prefer to cut the slices and leave a good 5 minutes for it all to soften !! Delicious
- Cake can remain in freezer tightly wrapped for up to one month
- Video Directions can be found on Sally Site for cake cutting if you require
So there you go !!!!
The only thing I didn’t do is press my top down firmly enough at front edge , but my strips of ice cream certainly straightened up as I cut my slices
The Batter is slightly wetter than a ‘ regular loaf cake ‘ and you will get a little more bleed
Sally recommends you use Quinns , but i have yet to find the GF V and defiently not in the UK
I used Sweetapolita Sprinkles here in mine, which is fine for home consumption but they are actually prohibited for baked goods selling due to certain E numbers
You can however buy sprinkles from Baking Time Club in UK that are GF V and those I use if goods go out the door
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures, Follow me on WordPress or Instagram and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!