When is it time for Coconut Cake ???
Anytime really , but when it gets a tad warmer we like the taste of summer on a plate and this coconut and lemony loaf cake fits the bill…….well I think so 😜
The combination of soft cake textured with desiccated coconut and topped with toasted coconut flakes adds the right amount of coconut in my book
If you want coconut extreme i advise adding Coconut Flavouring or extract for that power punch, depending on how much of a coconut fiend you are
Me I can take it either way 😜😜😜
The cake itself is not overly sweet the iced topping balances this out superbly
It can be served warm , cold. with our without custard ( In case the custard contingent ask ) and will transport you to summer climbs ( without quarantine ) or hug in a bowl smothered in custard 😂
Comfort , easy and traditional bakes seem to be all the rage at the moment and coconut cake cover that !!!
We love the use of desiccated coconut in the UK its slightly different to the flaked variety
Basically its finer and has more moisture removed and is unsweetened
Anyway lets crack on , I’ve birthday cakes and smash cake to sort !!!
The Cauldron Apprentice Apprentice is One this week and Granny has to work her magic
Hopefully next week there will be a quick blog post of whatever I need to bake to keep me going , in between party chaos 🤪🤪
Coconut and Lemon Loaf, GF, DF V
All The Tastes of the tropical in this moist loaf cake......coconut overload
- 150g unsalted vegan butter, at room temperature ( I used flora plant based )
- 200g caster/superfine sugar
- Zest of 2 medium lemons
- 120 g Dairy Free Coconut Yogurt ( I used Coconut Collabarative )
- 350g Gluten Free plain blend ( If not using your own I recommend Dove Farms Free UK or Pilsbury US )
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 45g desiccated coconut
- 150 ml coconut milk full fat ( Tesco )
- 1/2 tsp /10 drops Coconut Extract / flavouring ( optional ) I used Foodie Flavours For the top:
- 150g icing/powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 50 g flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F and spray a 2lb loaf tin with cooking spray. Place a thin strip of grease proof paper along the centre to lift the cake out.
- Place the butter, sugar and lemon zest into a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, around 2 minutes.
- Add in the coconut yogurt a little at a time , scraping down the sides as necessary and mix on medium speed for 1 minute, or until well combined and smooth.
- Sift he flour, baking powder, bicarb, and xanthan gum
- Add to the creamed mixture a little at at a time mix on low until the mixture starts to come together,
- Add The desiccated coconut to the the coconut milk, coconut extract / flavouring and add to the batter . Turn the speed up to medium-high and mix until everything is light, smooth and well combined.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared loaf cake and spread into an even layer. Place in the oven for 50 minutes minutes, until risen, golden and an inserted cocktail stick or cake tester into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before transferring the cake to a cutting board.
- Place the flaked coconut into a frying pan over a low heat and stir frequently until all the coconut is golden brown in colour Watch it like a hawk , as soon as you get the desired colour take it out the pan so it doesnt carry on cooking !!!!Leave to cool.
- Sift the the icing/powdered sugar into a medium sized bowl and add in the coconut milk, whisk until smooth and thick. You want a thick paste that you can spread, but won’t run everywhere when you place it on the cake.
- Spoon the icing onto the top of the cake and spread with a small spatula until you’ve covered the top in an even layer of icing.
- Spoon the toasted coconut onto the icing; you should have enough to completely cover the icing.
- The icing will set a little if you leave it out, you can wait for this to happen before serving or serve straight away. Cut into 10-12 slices
- Enjoy . Cake will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 4 days.
So there you go summer on a plate , some more pics now and I’m off to get busy and hopefully will see you next week
Im hoping to take the month of June off the blog its time to rest, actually have a holiday away from home but in the UK , the first in a long time
So next week will be the last post for 4 weeks
I’ve travelled a baking journey and tried to inspire you through a pandemic to keep you entertained and expand you knowledge
Its time to rest , regenerate , decide my direction for the coming months and not risk baking burn out , there’s be alot of content the last 18 months and only a couple of weeks off last October
I may only be small fry in the world of baking blogging and recipe development but it takes time and though and I must admit Im tired
If you read my About me on the page you will understand well !!
However theres a post I’m going to need to address an update on that page, time moves on but the basics are the same 🙈
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜
6 thoughts on “Give Me All The Coconut !!”
This looks delicious! Can we replace the vegan butter with coconut oil? Thanks.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Im afriad ive not tested that method i guessing yes but the texture will not be the same and i would reduce the amount of fat by 20% as coconut oil has less water in it 💜
Reblogged this on Love and Love Alone.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much 💜💜
This sounds delicious…I am so glad that you will be taking a well deserved break. You’ve kept us in lovely GF/DF recipes each and every week—now it’s time for a little R&R! I’ll be waiting for you to return to The Cauldron; mean time, enjoy! ♥️
LikeLiked by 1 person
You cant get rid of me that easily 😂😂 one more week to entertain 😂