Well where do I start this week !!!
Its just a Swiss Roll , but we all know in the UK the hassle that its causing at the the moment because of a cake dressed as a Caterpillar !!
Every Granny from the 1970 s will be having a chuckle at their easy invention (even before mass production !!!) causing such a stir !!
And then ‘the call came ‘ from my Trusty Plamil Chocolate Folk
Want a challenge Clare ?? Do you want to make a vegan Caterpillar Cake !!!
Ermmm no that’s been done by Vecreations and I don’t use wheat!
But I can do you a Gluten Free and Vegan Caterpillar Cake ( and I think that’s a world first 😍)
So I set to work making my usual Swiss roll and then decided to challenge myself and use Crack’d egg replacement 😂😂😂
Best impromptu move I’ve made in a while , so much so this post is doubling as a triple whammy post
A Caterpillar, A Naked , and A Naked Bling
This replacer is amazing for this , I have however included my base recipe in the notes of what to use should you not be able to purchase any
Because Chocolate Swiss Rolls are not Just for Caterpillars they are for life !!!
So theres an eclectic mix of pictures ( to many probably) but theres so much to shown !!
I’ve tried to include all the elements you will need for your Caterpilar Cake , but I’ve made a grown up version too 😜😜
Chocolate Swiss Roll GF, DF V
A light chocolate sponge cake roll, filled with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and topped with either Cream on Chocolate
I use Crack’d Egg Replacement as my Egg replacer of choice You can use 30 g Chickpea Flour with 200 g Water instead ( Omit the water in the recipe but you will not get the ribbon effect on whisking , but the instructions remain the same You will require A 23 x 33cm/9 x 13” baking tray
I will cover A Naked , Decorated and Caterpillar Cake in this post
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp Boiling Water
- 120 ml Crack’d Egg Replacer ( See Notes for Alternative )
- 6 g Baking powder
- 60 ml Tap Water
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 125 g Caster Sugar
- 125 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( I recommend Dove Farms Freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( Omit if your blend contains it )
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar ———-For the Whipped Ganache
- 200 g Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate ( I used Plamil 53 % Cocoa Chocolate Drops )
- 130 g vegan whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract ———–For The Ganache Coating
- 200 g Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate chocolate I used Plamil 72% Cocoa Chocolate Drops
- 100 ml Non Dairy Milk , I used Mighty Pea milk ———-For Coloured Buttons ( OPTIONAL )
- 50 g Gluten Free Vegan White Chocolate ( I used Plamil )
- 2 tsp Plant Based Milk ( i used Mightly Pea Milk )
- Colour Gels or Powders ( Check they are Gluten Free and Vegan ) ———-For The Caterpillar Face ( OPTIONAL )
- 50 g of Fondant / Gum Paste ( Home made or shop bought )
- 1 tsp Tylose Powder
- 10 g Gluten Free White Chocolate ( I used Plamil )
- Food Gel Colours ( Gluten Free and Vegan )
- 8 So Free Cocoa Bites For Feet ——-Cream and Fruit Decoration
- 60 g Vegan Whipping cream
- 6 Cherries
- 60 g Gluten Free and Vegan
- Pre heat your oven to 150°C, /300 F ( I do not advise Fan for this recipe )
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 23 x 33cm/9 x 13” baking tray and line with a sheet of baking parchment
- Put the cocoa powder and boiling water into a small bowl, mix into a paste and set aside.
- Add Crackd egg , the cold water, oil and caster sugar to a stand mixer or hand whisk and on high with a whisk attachment whisk for 5 minutes on high until you achieve a ribbon effect when you trace the mixture in the bowl ( I using chickpea flour whisk until combined only )
- Add the prepared cocoa mixture and beat until smooth.
- Sieve the baking Powder, xanthan gum if using and GF Flour into a the fluffy mixture and with a rubber spatula fold them gently into the fluffy chocolate mixture, until no flour clumps remain.
- Transfer to the lined baking sheet and smooth
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until an inserted cocktail stick or cake tester comes out clean
- Once baked, leave the sponge in the baking tray for 2 minutes, then turn it out of the baking tray onto a clean tea towel generously dusted with caster sugar
- Peel away the top layer of baking paper, and roll up the sponge ( sort end rolling ). Leave it cool completely. Trim the sides with a sharp knife and score the short edge nearest to you about 2 cm / 1 in from the edge ( See Picture )
- Meanwhile make the whipped chocolate ganache filling.
- Heat up the plant-based cream in a saucepan on the hob until it starts to steam and then pour over the chocolate. Add the vanilla then leave it for 2 minutes and then stir together until fully incorporated. Place into a bowl and leave it to cool to room temperature. The Whip For 5 Minutes Before use on High
- If making white chocolate ganache melt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water ( Making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom and stir to until melted , add colour and spoon teaspoons of the mixture onto parchment and set in fridge
- Unroll the sponge carefully and spread the whipped ganache over the the centre and spread evenly
- Roll the swiss roll back up again using the tea towel as an aid to roll
- For the Face if add the tylose to the fondant and knead in for 2 minutes until combined
- Melt the white chocolate and add to the fondant and knead in til combined ( Leave to go cool )
- mould the shape into a face shape as desired !!!
- If covering with Ganache Heat up the plant-based milk in a saucepan on the hob until it starts to steam and then pour over the chocolate. Add the vanilla then leave it for 2 minutes and then stir together until fully incorporated.
- Place the unwrapped roll on a cooling rack over a baking tray and pour or smooth the ganche on
- Place in the fridge to set
- Whip Cream , Melt chocolate and dip Cherries
- Decorate as desired
15.Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes
Well there you go, it can be as simple or easy as you want it to be !!!
As a child i can remember eating these just naked out of the plastic wrapper they came , with a sickly buttercream centre
Things have now grown up…. big time !!!
So without futher ado lets get naked, lets get silly and lets get to the inside !!!
So with that is Marks and Spencers ….. Aldi or any other leading Supermarket want to use this recipe for my roll I cant stop you , recipes have no copyright
But I will Know from the ingredient list !!! So cut out the middle man name her Clara The Caterpillar and you are acknowledging your nod to the first GF , V and NUT Free the need is REAL !!!!!
Hope you enjoyed the post and I hope it made sense
If not drop me message
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family and friends, especially the intolerant ones 💜💜