Not every person in the world wants a ‘Traditional Fruit Christmas Cake ‘
its a very British thing to do……..😂😂😂
So here’s a posh alternative and my most favourite cake to date
The cake I could eat everyday if it wasn’t for my expanding waistline 😜😜
A soft pistachio sponge cake , filled with dreamy whipped Ganache Frosting all smothered in silky Pistachio Aqufaba Swiss Meringue Buttercream
WHATS NOT TO LIKE 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
For those who follow me regularly you may guess this is a Tessa Huff adapted cake from The Icing on The Cake Book …….My Cake Queen of Choice
If you don’t follow her ….. take a look at her site shes a whizz on flavour and directions are here to a similar cake too……but have a browse.
There’s some fairly heavy adaptions on this cake from the original but if you want that extra special something then you’ve got it with this cake
Don’t be put off by the ruffles…….Tessa Made me do them 😂
But it was great to see that ASMB stands up so well to vertical icing !!!!
But it would just look as good with a rustic feel and topped with some figs too
The figs for me take it to ‘that posh feel ‘ 😂😂😂
So without further ado …….lets bake a cake !!!
Pistachio Ruffle Cake GF, DF, V
Creamy Velvety Tasting Pistachio Cake with hidden Chocolate Ganache and Vegan Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Pistachio Buttercream
- FOR THE TRUFFLE FILLING
- 200 g Gluten free Vegan Chocolate ( I used Plamil )
- 100 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I use Alpro Soya ) ———–
- FOR THE PISTACHIO CAKE
- 300 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using own flour blend I recommend Dove Farms Freee or Pillsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 140 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork block or Earth Butter US )
- 150 g Pistachio Paste / Butter ( Pure no oils added I used Nutural World Smooth Pistachio Butter )
- 250 g Caster Sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 15 g cornflour /cornstarch
- 4 tsp oil ( I used sunflower oil)
- 3 g baking powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 120 m Dairy Free Milk ( I used Alpro Soya )
- 60 g Dairy free Plain Yogurt ( I used Alpro Plain Soy ) ————
- FOR THE PISTACHIO BUTTERCREAM
- 225 g Aquafaba ( Juice out of a tin of chickpeas or any other legume seed, you will need at least 2 tins )
- 150 g Granulated White Sugar
- 165 g Icing / Confectioners / Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartare
- 225 g Vegan Block Butter ( Stork Block UK , Earth Balance US )
- 165 g Trex ( UK ) or Cristo ( US )
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100g Pistachio Paste / Butter Pure no oils added I used Nutural World Smooth Pistachio Butter
- Make the Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Butter Cream as directed here
- At the end of the process add the pistachio butter and whisk on high until combined set aside in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 160 C fan / 175 standard / 350 F
- Grease and line 3 6 in / 15 cm Cake tins ( I use loose bottomed )
- Sift in a bowl the gluten free flour, xanthan gum , and baking powder and set aside
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer on medium speed beat the butter for 2 minutes until it is light and fluffy
- Add the pistachio paste and the sugar and beat on medium high until it becomes light and fluffy about 3 minutes , scrape down the bowl half way through the process
- Mix the cornflour, oil , 3 g baking powder and 3 tbsp water until frothy
- Add to the mixing bowl with the batter and mix on medium until combined
- Scrape down the mixing bowl
- Mix the Milk and Yogurt together until smooth
- With the mixer on low add the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the Milky yogurt , starting with the flour and finishing with the flour
- Mix until the flour is just combined and stop !!!
- Evenly divide the batter into the 3 tins and smooth
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until a cocktail stick comes out clean
- Let the cakes cool in the tins for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool Wrap in cling film and store in fridge or freezer until ready to use
- Put the Chopped / Pellets of chocolate in an oven proof bowl with the milk over a bowl of simmering water ( a Bain Marie method )
- Stir until combined it may look grainy for a while and clumpy but it will come together and be smooth and silky
- Leave until body temperature and whisk for 2 minutes with a hand mixer or balloon whisk
- If it starts to become to solid re heat over the bain marie again until slightly softened but not to warm to melt your butter cream
- Place one cake layer on a board and fill a piping bag with some of the buttercream, using a round tip Pipe a ring round to make a dam
- Fill the centre using half the ganache and smooth using a spoon
- Repeat with the next layer and then top with the 3rd layer
- Crumb coat your cake and decorate as desired
- For decorating tips see Tessa on u tube she covers the basics to help https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgPtHjUke3qf8ZetJI0tdaQ/featured
- Have Fun and Enjoy
——— Make the Cake
So there you go, take your time , plan your cake and this deliciousness can be all yours !!!
If I could make you all this cake I would ……… but I know not everyone can or wants to eat nuts ………but as I have said before nuts are in the title so if you cant Ive saved you the read
There’s no hidden ingredients in my bakes to disappoint you !!!
My nut butter / paste ( because it has to be 100% pistachio ) was Nutural World
You can get it direct or from Amazon , not cheap but this is a special occasion cake !!!
Right now for some pictures , to get you in the mood
It would be lovely to see this on your tables this festive season
And I personally know you will not regret it 😍😍😍😍
Thank you Tessa for allowing me yet again to publish your recipe mutilated so that #everyoneshouldenjoycake ……… no one should ever miss out !!
Hope you enjoyed the post and hope you enjoy making the cake as much as I did !!
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family and friends, especially the intolerant ones 💜💜