It would be very very amiss of me to not address the issue of pumpkin in a bake in this season of the year !!
Although its not in the past been a UK thing, its now spreading at a rate of knots !!
When SJ at the Wellbeing Lounge asked me to devise some sweet treats for an Autumnal Afternoon Tea , then of course Pumpkin had to be included 🙈
So Afternoon tea has to include scones so its time to have my version,with an English Twist !!……
Not quite as sweet as the over the pond variety and our customary rounds, so they can be served with jam and cream if desired …… as you would with your best china 😂😂😂
Soft and light and seasonally spiced with all the Autumn Flavours 😍
We chose to serve ours with St. Dalfours Orange and Ginger Preserve with Vegan Cream
But of course you use what you jolly well like 😂😂
So lets crack on…..i know tinned pumpkin is hard to get hold of in the UK for some but I’ve included how to make your own too, just so you have no excuse 😜
Pumpkin Scones GF, DF V
All the characteristics of an English Scones with an Autumnal Feel with the Spices of the season
- 500 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed spice or Pumpkin Spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 70 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork Block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 80 g Golden Syrup ( Approx 4 tbsp ) or Maple Syrup
- 80 g Pumpkin Puree
- 4 tbsp Aquafaba ( Chickpea juice out of a tin on chickpeas )
- 250 mls Non Dairy Milk ( I used Soya )
- 2 tbsp Demerara or Turbinado Brown Sugar – – – To Dress Scones
- 200 mls Dairy Free Double/ Heavy Cream Alternative ( I used Shalagfix )
- Compote, or Jam of choice
- Preheat Oven to 200 C Convection / 220 C Standard / 425 F
- Line a baking tray with Parchment or Slipmat
- Whisk and then Sift the flour, Bicarb, Cream of Tartar ,xanthan gum, Cinnamon and mixed spice into a bowl
- Add small lumps of vegan butter to the flour mix, push them just under the surface and using your finger tips rub the fat in until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Whisk the milk ,pumpkin puree , golden syrup and Aquafaba in a jug until slightly frothy
- Add half the the Milk mixture to the flour and with a metal spoon pull the flour from the outside to the inside on the centre of the bowl until it is combined
- Add the rest of the milk and continue until the dough looks like below , mix until the last streaks of flour are gone, but do not over mix , lightly pull the dough into a ball with your hands
- When soft dough forms tip onto a lightly floured work surface , your dough should be slightly sticky divide into two equal lumps
- With LIGHTLY floured hands pull the dough together GENTLY until you can form a long rectangle the width of your 5cm (2in ) cutter and 3cm (3/4in for you old fashioned type 😂😂)in height and 27 cm long . You will get 5 out of this process
- Cut out and CAREFULLY transfer to the baking tray
- Repeat Step 9 with the second piece of dough
- Gather up the scraps and cut out one more if possible
- Brush the tops with milk lightly,
- Sprinkle with Demerara Sugar 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈GUESS WHO FORGOT THE PIC 🙈🙈🙈🙈
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden
- Cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy on day of making or store in Tupperware at room temperature for 48 hours , but will freeze well for a month, defrost at room temperature.
- Place Oven on at 200 c / 395f
- Cut Pumpkin an half….carefully and scoop out the seeds
- Place flesh side down onto lined baking tray
- Roast for 30/ 40 minutes until soft
- Leave to Cool
- Scoop put flesh and blitz in a food processor or with a hand blender or potato masher until smooth
THE PUMPKIN PUREE
I am so happy how these have turned out 😍😍
Over the last year I’ve been converted to the benefits of pumpkin in Gluten Free baking….. it adds a texture and structure that is only of benefit
These scones and soft and light and last without drying out in 24 hours , best eaten on the day but they will stand up well 2 days in an air tight container , and freeze well too
If you don’t make anything new this season bar these, you wont regret it !!
In fact I can see you making them way after Autumn has gone 😍
Right as is customary, lets give you some pictures to make you want to crack up your own cauldron and make it happen😜😜
Right done…………Im off to be Granny til next week 😂😂
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst the awkward ones !!!!