Sometimes , just sometimes I get a little excited about a recipe that I am going to share with you
And this is one of those times 😜😜
When SJ at The Wellbeing Lounge enlightened me that she wanted ‘to do ‘ a Harry Potter Gluten Free and Vegan Afternoon Tea , Treacle Scones where mentioned !!!
Did I have these in my armoury ????
Nope but sure as eggs are eggs ( or rather no eggs 🙈🙈🙈) these where going to happen somehow !!
So I set to work reading around standard Treacle Scones …..The Scots lay claim to these apparently ( Sorry Kerry and Ann )
Most seem to say they are dry and best eaten on the day !!!
Could I combat this ?? OOOOOOOHHHHHH YESSSSS!!!!
So here I give you Treacle Scones, with the twist of a aome chunky Apple compote, more treacle and lashings of dairy free cream
If Harry Potter and Hogwarts are not happy with this they can ‘Obliviate ‘😂
These scones though fit for Harry Potter .W
ill see you through the Autumnal Vibes, The Halloween Season and all the way through Winter ……a scone with many talents 😂😂😂
Its far easier than you think, nothing to fancy
Of course I use Tate and Lyle Black Treacle and its Ionic Red Tin , but you can use any Dark Molasses Syrup to seal the deal
I cant shout loud enough, ~everyoneshouldenjoycake ……..or in this case Scones
Do not miss out and wow your family and friends with this one, a twist they will surely love on the standard cream tea
Lets Bake !!!!
Treacle Scones with Apple Compote GF, DF V
All the characteristics of an English Scones with an Autumnal Feel and fit for Harry Potter
- 500 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms freee UK or Pilsbury US )
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed spice or Pumpkin Spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 70 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork Block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 80 g Black Treacle ( Approx 4 tbsp ) Black Treacle or Thick Molasses
- 80 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce ( I used Bramley apples but you can use baby food )
- 4 tbsp Aquafaba ( Chickpea juice out of a tin on chickpeas )
- 250 mls Non Dairy Milk ( I used Soya )
- 2 tbsp Demerara or Turbinado Brown Sugar – – – For the Apple Compote
- 400 g Apples Peeled and Cored ( I used Granny Smiths )
- 50 mls Water -1 tsp Cinnamon
- 50 g Soft Brown Sugar – To Dress Scones
- 200 mls Dairy Free Double/ Heavy Cream Alternative ( I used Shalagfix )
- Preheat Oven to 200 C Convection / 220 C Standard / 425 F
- Line a baking tray with Parchment or Slipmat
- Whisk and then Sift the flour, Bicarb, Cream of Tartar ,xanthan gum, Cinnamon and mixed spice into a bowl
- Add small lumps of vegan butter to the flour mix, push them just under the surface and using your finger tips rub the fat in until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Whisk the Milk Apple sauce, Treacle and Aquafaba in a jug until slightly frothy
- Add half the the Milk mixture to the flour and with a metal spoon pull the flour from the outside to the inside on the centre of the bowl until it is combined
- Add the rest of the milk and continue until the dough looks like below , mix until the last streaks of flour are gone, but do not over mix , lightly pull the dough into a ball with your hands
- When soft dough forms tip onto a lightly floured work surface , your dough should be slightly sticky divide into two equal lumps
- With LIGHTLY floured hands pull the dough together GENTLY until you can form a long rectangle the width of your 5cm (2in ) cutter and 3cm (3/4in for you old fashioned type 😂😂)in height and 27 cm long . You will get 5 out of this process
- Cut out and CAREFULLY transfer to the baking tray
- Repeat Step 9 with the second piece of dough
- Gather up the scraps and cut out one more if possible
- Brush the tops with milk lightly,
- Sprinkle with Demerara Sugar 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈GUESS WHO FORGOT THE PIC 🙈🙈🙈🙈
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden
- Cool on a wire rack
- Enjoy on day of making or store in Tupperware at room temperature for 48 hours , but will freeze well for a month, defrost at room temperature. – – – – To Make the Compote
- Add the Apples, Water , Cinnamon and Sugar to Small Pan
- Cook on low for 15 minutes with the lid on til apples are soft
- Remove the lid and then on low cook off the liquid for 5 minutes until the liquid is gone and the apples are caramelised , do not allow to burn keep a close eye on them and stir as required
- Leave to Cool
- Dress Scones with Apple Cream and Treacle
So there you go, the first of a couple of Harry Potter bakes !!
The next will be in a few weeks and will not be quite what you will expect !!
But for now you have some beautiful scones, Im so pleased SJ made me try !!
As with everything you dont know until you try and see if you can !!
These scones are not over sweet, a scone should not be , its a vessel for all the lovely things you choose to pile on it 😜😜😜
its a balance and a this scone is balanced to perfection even though I say it myself 🙈🙈🙈
Right done…………Im off to Granny til next week 😂😂
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on WordPress or Instagram, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on Instagram or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst the awkward ones !!!!