Well here we are again and another blog post to hopefully get you in the mood to bake something a little special
Today I’m introducing a different pastry, a chocolate pastry !!
Mini tarts that you can bling to how you require and I’ve even given you a couple of examples !!!……..Well any excuse for some more photography 🙈
This little tarts certainly hit the spot and where a challenge bake in my baking group some months ago, ( from The Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking )
But of course the recipe was a standard one so needed some heavy mutilations 😂😂
You will notice from the recipe if you have ever made a standard ganache that the usual 1:1 is not the case . milk is always half or less of the weight for chocolate for vegan ganache ( as in drips et) and in today’s recipe slightly less as I wanted it a little firmer
So there’s your tip for the day……and white chocolate now that’s a whole different ball game and that’s for anther day 😜😜
These tarts are so versatile and this pastry will line an 8 in tart tin too.
So you’ve got a good base shortcrust type pastry for your tarts in future , its certainly what you need in your armoury !!
The trick to the pastry is be GENTLE …..take your time and then enjoy the fruits of your labour !!!
Right lets get baking !!!
Individual Chocolate Tarts GF, DF V
Rich Chocolate Shortbread Tarts with a Silky Chocolate Ganache and of course Cream
A Food Processor is recommended
A 12 hole shallow bun tin will be require , can be made in a standard muffin tin
You will require a 8 cm 3 1/2 in Fluted Round Cutter
The pastry is soft and requires gentle handling , but practice makes perfect !!
- For the Pastry
- 150 g Gluten free Plain Flour blend ( if not making your own I recommend Dove Farms Free UK or Pilsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if blend contains it )
- 20 g Cocoa Powder ( not drinking chocolate I use Green and Blacks )
- 60 g Icing/ Confectioner Sugar
- 100 g Vegan Butter ( I used Stork Block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 40 g unsweetened apple sauce ( Baby Apple Sauce if needs be if not making your own ) – –
- For the Filling
- 300 g Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate ( I use Plamil Foods Uk )
- 150 ml Soya Milk ( I use Alpro )
- 150 ml Dairy Free Cream ( I used Shalagfix )
- Fruit ( optional )
- Sprinkles ( Optional )
For the Topping
- Put the GF Flour Blend, Xanthan Gum ( if using ) and Baking Powder in a bowl and whisk together, add to food processor and pulse 6 times to aerate and evenly distribute
- Add the cocoa powder, and Icing sugar and pulse to combine
- Add the cold Vegan butter in small pieces to the flour mix
- Pulse until the mixture resembles wet soil 😂😂
- Add the Apple Sauce and pulse until the mixtures comes together , in a large clump in the processor, it will be slighlty sticky
- Scoop it out into a piece of clingfilm and wrap and flatten into a disc
- Chill in fridge for at LEAST an hour ( the longer left the easier to use) I do tend to leave over night
- Remove from fridge and roll out between 2 pieces of Clingfilm ( do not add flour it will stain the pastry )
- You should roll 4 mm thick
- Slide onto a baking tray with cling film still in place and chill for 15 minutes
- Remove the top cling film and cut out the discs
- Peel them off the cling film gently one at a time and place in the hole in each bun tray hole
- Prick the bases with a fork and transfer the tray to the fridge to chill for another 15 minutes
- Heat oven to 160 C fan/ 180 C standard/ 350 F
- Crumple Squares or baking paper and press into each case, fill with baking beans and bake in oven for 20 minutes until pastry is set firm
- Carefully remove the paper and baking beans
- Place back in oven for another 5 minutes and watch so they dont scorch 🙄🙄
- Remove tray from oven and place on a wire rack to cool
- Once cold ease pastry out of tin and place it back in. The pastry is easier to fill and less likely to damage if filled in tin
- Make the filling by adding the broken chocolate and the milk to a heatproof bowl over a simmering pan of water
- Stir continually whilst melting, it may look curdled dont worry it will come to glossy and silky ( you can use a whisk at this stage… Have faith!!)
- Once lovely and silky spoon into the tart shells right to the top
- Chill for 20 minutes until set and firm
- Top with planet based cream , fruit or sprinkles ( make your choice)
- If not eating straight away may be kept in fridge in air tight container for 48 hours , remove from fridge 20 minutes before serving
- Can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge, bring to room temp for 20 minutes before serving
Yes my tray is OLD and well used 😂😂🙈
So there you go, a little bit of luxury…… the Other Half loved these and demolished a few the same evening after he was allowed ( well as I’m writing this blog post so I’m a tad powerless to intervene 🙈🙈)
There are many options to keep it simple or bling it up, so lets have a look what can be done !!!
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make any of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hashtag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week