Lets take the humble banana and make it special……..
There’s more to life than banana bread ( even though I’ve a new recipe for you waiting 🙈)
I go with gut when I decided whats going to be posted, and this one just gives you that little bling to make it feel special and that’s what I needed this week.
I was chocolated out from Cookies and Easter ( wont last long but I wanted something fruity 😜😜😜)
I love my Polenta, ( over here its really fine powder I use like flour….
(non of the grits type stuff …POWDER !!)
So here’s a recipe that helps eek’s out your gluten free flour blend and just well looks the part with store cupboard ingredients
i will let you decided what side you want, custard, cream or ice cream or just be rebel and have all three…I wont tell 😂😂
I’ve purposefully made this cake less sweet , its counteracted with the strawberry sauce and life is all about balance !!!
And the cake and the sauce are I assure you the perfect balance
Come on treat yourself ……I did !!!
Polenta Banana Cake with Thyme Strawberry Sauce GF, DF V
So Soft Banana Cake Not to Sweet but poshed up and sweetened with lush Strawberries Sauce
- 150 g Fine Polenta
- 120 g Gluten Free Plain flour ( If not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farms Freee UK or Pilsbury US)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum (omit if your blend includes it )
- 1 tbsp ( Yes Tablespoon) of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Freshly grated Nutmeg
- 100 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 3 medium or 2 large really ripe Bananas
- 100 ml Dairy Free Milk ( i use Soya )
- 60 ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Cornflour / Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp water – – – –
- 120 g Fresh Strawberries
- 60 ml lemon (juice from the lemon )
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 60 g Granulated white sugar
- 20 mls water –
For the Thyme Strawberries
- Pre heat your oven to 160 C Convection/ 180 C / 350 F
- Grease and line an 8′ x 8′ square baking tin
- Add the dry ingredients , Flour Blend , Polenta , Baking Powder, Xanthan ( if using ) Spices mix with a hand whisk and then SIEVE ( do not forget this step )
- Blitz the banana in a bowl with a stick blender / food processor or fork until mushy and smooth
- Add the Oil, sugar , milk and vanilla to the banana and whisk until fully combined
- In a small bowl add the cornflour, 2 tsp oil, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp water
- Whisk the ingredients until foamy
- Add the cornflour mix to the liquid banana mix and whisk until combined
- Add the fluid mix to the dry sifted ingredents and with a rubber spatula or large spoon fold until just combined
- Tip the batter into the prepared tray and smooth
- Place in middle of oven and cook for 25 minutes until springy to touch and a cocktail stick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre 12.Whilst the cake is baking, hull and quarter the strawberries
- Add them to a small pan with the sugar, and lemon juice, and chopped thyme
- Slowly simmer for 5 minutes until juice is thickened and strawberries have started to soften
- Remove from heat
- When cake is ready take out of the oven and leave in pan to cool for 10 minutes
- Place on a wire rack to cool 18, Strain the strawberries and reserve juice
- With a brush paint the top of the warm cake with some of the juice
- After a further 5 minutes cut the cake as required ( i found it easiest to use a pizza wheel )
- Serve as desired with strawberry topping and cream, custard or ice cream
- This cake is best eaten when warm and can be zapped in the microwave before serving
- Enjoy a great after dinner treat
Is this this dessert, is it pudding or is it cake ????
I don’t care its delicious 😜😜😜😜😜
Ideal for Sunday Lunch, or Saturday evening dinner …….who am I kidding it will do anytime
( I’m British I wouldn’t advocate breakfast but with yogurt maybe 🙊🙊 there is fruit after all !!!😂😂😂)
Right lets get you licking the screen !!!
Hope you enjoyed the post
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!