Never would i have imagined that today I would be writing a blog post on Gluten Free Vegan Pasta !!!!!
But today you are actually having to read it that must be a first 😂😂😂
Due to necessity being the mother of invention and what seems to be a world shortage of pasta …….there’s no to be had !!! ( Mainly because every household should have at least 10 packets to use in one day !!!!!)
But for us poor souls who have limited access dietary wise and not on prescription its more than troublesome, chuck in an egg allergy and your currently stuffed ( and not with pasta 🙊🙊🙊)
So time to get creative and sort something out !! I’ve had to do this for years but never had to make my own pasta only for ravioli and I’ve only ever done it with eggs …….
But here’s now my alternative and it works a treat, dries wonderfully and something you could get the kids involved in making different shapes and a little coking lesson if you have to get creative
I purposefully did not use a pasta machine as I know not everyone has one…..but of course feel free
I’m not waffling to much this week, as some of you know I’m Frontline NHS nurse and its as you can imagine a difficult time….to get a blog post put together is going to be trying over the next few weeks and possibly months due to shift pattern changes , so they may not appear every week , but if they do I will keep them to a Saturday but may not quite as in depth with pictures on methods .
So it maybe best to sign up for an email so you don’t miss them
Anyways onto pasta ……and if you are Italian I ask forgiveness now 😜😜😜
Basic Pasta Dough GF, DF V
Basic Pasta made out of Store Cupboard Ingredients
- 200 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( if not using your own I recommend Doved Farm UK or Plisbury US )
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- pinch of turmeric
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 9 tsp warm tap water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2- 4 tbsp water
- Extra flour for rolling
- Measure out your chia seeds and add the warm water and stir and leave to stand until they turn gloopy and swell, about 10 minutes
- Add your flour and xanthan gum to a bowl and whisk until incorporated together ( if using turmeric for colour add it too)
- Tip out the dry ingredients onto a clean and dry work surface and make a well in the middle
- To the whole add the chia seeds and two tablespoons of olive oil ….. yes i know it looks like a rancid egg 🙈🙈🙈
- Work the chia seeds and oil into the flour mix with grabbing type motions until its Incorporated and in larger clumps
- Add a tablespoon of water and repeat the ‘ grabbing and squeezing ‘
- Add another tablespoon of water and knead it in
- Add another tablespoon and knead until you have a smooth dough like this
- You may need to add more water depending on your blend but you require your dough only to be slighly tacky or damp to the tough
- Wrap in cling film and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes
- I cut my dough into two half and re wrap until I;m ready to roll the second out to stop and drying and easier managing pieces
- Roll to a thickness of 2 mm on a lightly floured surface ( I’ve not gone and thinner but you can if you dare ) It may need pushing back for cracks but you will get a smooth roll
- Cut the pasta into shapes using a pizza cutter or sharp knife
- Wrap into nest and placed on a tray to dry and or use roll out second half and repeat rolling
- If using place in a large pan of salted boiling water and boil for 3 minutes for Al dente Pasta and drain and use as desired
This dough is still too dry !!!!
Still to dry, there are bits still not being picked up
So there you go…….no need for panic or worry you can make your own and I will be doing for the for the foreseeable future
I think personally it looks rather special and artisan with its little flecks, you can add a pinch of tumeric for colour if you require …..that was an after thought and i haven’t done that since making my batch up….. for a more golden hue
So here for the first time on the blog…….Pastaporn 🙈🙈🙈😂😂😂😂😂😂😱
Hope you enjoyed the post
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!