I sit here 9 hours before this post is due to be published only just writing my spiel !!!
For all of us its been a strange week……one of constant changes ……and what to write with with the usual sarcasm is difficult
But I will mention more at the end of the post, as well…..
Lets just BAKE !!
But it was all there in the future lurking and when I made the decision to create this bake
It was based on ‘Staples I couldn’t live without ‘ in mind !!!
So this week I give you Oatcakes……..Scottish Oatcakes but with a Vegan twist…… Cheese and Onion !!!!!
Oatcakes have been existing in Scotland since at least the time of the Romans in AD 43, and likely before then. Oatcakes have also been described as being the ‘mainstay of Scottish breads for centuries’.
I’m not the worlds greatest yeast fan…… years of not eating bread leaves me now uncomfortable literally🙈 ……
However give me oatcakes topped with anything and I’m yours for the taking 😜🙈😜
This humble savoury biscuit ( shut it it’s not a cracker it doesn’t crack 😂) can be left plain or to eat with jam or nut butters thats up to you.
I thought this would be an easy bake……. yes really, but rolling it out can be frustrating til you realise just keep pushing it together ……its a sturdy beast this dough you could use a hammer it will still work !!!!!
So lets crack on…without the hammer 😂😂😂
( 4 quips in 4 paragraphs didn’t I do well !! )
Cheese and Onion Scottish Oatcakes GF, DF V
A Biscuit or Cracker , suitable for lunch , dinner or tea or even with soup , top with anything you fancy , even jam !!
- 150 g Gluten Free Whole Oats – Steel Cut
- 150 g Gluten Free Whole Oats For Blitzing !!!
- 80 ml Olive Oil
- 150 ml Hot water
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pre heat your oven to 160 C Fan/ 180 C standard / 360 F
- Line Two baking sheets with parchment or a slip mat
- In a Large bowl weigh out 150 g Steel cut Oats
- In a food processor add a further 150 g of steel cut oats, nutrional yeast and onion powder and pulse 8 times ish until it looks like below , some fine bits some medium …….miss this step if you are using porridge oats
- Add to the blitz oats or porridge oats to the large bowl and mix together
- Add the oil and mix
- Add the hot water and mix
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes for water to absorb
- After 30 minutes test the oat dough mix take a hand full and make sure it stick together , it should be sticky but not to wet
- Draw it all together into bowl
- Transfer onto a lightly floured board
- flatten with your hand and roll out to 3mm deep , you may find you need to keep pushing it back together but it will roll
- Cut out the Oatcakes with your cutter and transfer each one to the baking sheet, they don’t need much room they don’t spread
- The may be a little shaggy round the edges just smooth them with your finger
- Bring the scraps together add a tablespoon more water and mix the dough back up
- Repeat step 11 to 14 repeat until all dough used up
- Place on oven and bake for 25 minutes , they will not chance much in colour
- Remove from oven and leave on tray to cool
- Can be Stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
So there you go, you certainly wont go without now !!
This was a bake that I have been ‘going to get around to ‘ for such a long time, and I’m so pleased I did !!
Once again, so superior to the usual store bought and can be made with spices and flavourings that takes you fancy at any time…..just leave out the nutritional yeast and onion powder and add some herbs , dry or fresh !!
Pics now to warm the soul…….and make as sexy as I can !!!! Brown again oh how you make me think !!!!!
So what a week, it started with a wedding cake for my nephew that got started and never finished !!( well one for today !!)
You can see that either on Instagram or Facebook !! and finished with me guest Chefin’ at The Wellbeing Lounge https://wellbeing-group.com/wellbeing-lounge/
With the country in near on ‘lockdown’ 3 hours later today , after all the meal prep for the weekend !!
But I cannot leave it there without saying Sarah Jane you are an inspiration !!
And in life you reap what you sow and this lady needs to recognise how special she is !!! Kindness and selflessness deserves recognition !!
If she didn’t think she could open for lack of goods that was her only failing !!
Friends and Clients there played a blinder……no food stocks at 730 am was rectified by 11 am with, shop trailing a cupboard raiding !!! A priceless moment of community !
Now to today’s reality !!
The panic buying and stripping of shelves is bad enough, but much needed GF produce is now where to be seen ( its said bought by non GFers but Im not that sure !!! )
Lucky as I am I’m a baker and a cook and I have well stocked cupboards and freezer, I have had me dietary restrictions far longer than there was a commercial offerings
However goods don’t last for ever , so I will need to be mindful of what I’m using ….. recipe testing will cease as such for the moment , but I am hoping I can get you at least a recipe out a week
For the following few weeks it will be a bake or savoury we have actually had built into a meal plan !!!!
It will not be wise to gift goods and with my baking outlet currently shut to seated customers, who need cakes !!!
No celebrations happening baking is limited !!! WE cant eat ALL the cake ( well maybe The Cauldron inhabitants could but that wouldn’t be wise !!! )
I also how have the daunting prospect of back to work ( NHS Theatre Sister ) and after a weeks holiday due to the wedding cake to now face the most professional and personal challenge of my career in healthcare !!!
I hope I will be able to continue the blog but there maybe a hiatus if my health or workload dictate !!!!
There is also a small matter of a Grandchild on the way !!! We will possibly still be in a lockdown situation we’ve only 12 weeks to go !!!
And yes I can see weaning foods on the blog in the future !!! I’m more than versatile 😂😂😂😂
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week ( hopefully )
Stay Safe and Be Kind !!