I like to bake seasonally !!! But currently I’m not sure what that is .🙊
It’s wet it’s cold and it’s still comfort food weather
I know some of you especially over the pond don’t quite get the pudding and custard thing we enjoy so much in the UK 😜
So today I’m giving you a bake of two halves 😂😂
A Cake or for my fellow British compatriots a good ‘pudding’ that goes so well with CUSTARD 😍
So with that I’m giving you a Banana Caramel Chocolate Upside-down cake.
The sultry cousin of the Pineapple Upside Down Cake…….that’s a fruity number this is the sexy one 😜
Im currently living the dream on single layer cakes, they are just floating my baking boat at the moment
So here’s another offering…… well who doesn’t like the classic banana caramel chocolate combo….plus I bet you’ve got most of the ingredients lurking about too 🙊
Only thing careful with that butter, sugar in the pan, I don’t want to be responsible for any burns or scolds……..i wont sleep 😂😂😂😂
Its a really straight forward bake but the end results will leave you wanting more ……..just that little bit bigger slice. I promise.
Right Lets Bake
Banana Chocolate Upside -Down Cake GF, DF V
Soft Chocolate Sponge with a Caramel and Banana Topping
Best served warm or at room temperature
Store in fridge for up to 5 days remove and serve at room temperature or microwave to warm individual slices as required
- 50 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 50 g Vegan Butter ( I used Pure , Earth Balance Us )
- 3 Bananas Approx on Size
- 180 g Gluten Free Plain flour Blend ( If not using your own I recommend Dove Farms UK or Pilsbury US )
- 75 g Unsweetened Cocoa ( used 50 g Cocao and 25 g Black Cocoa )
- 1/2 tsp Bicarb of Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan gum ( omit if your flour blend contains it )
- 180 ml Of Oil ( I used Sunflower oil )
- 100 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 150 g Caster / superfine sugar
- 280 g Dairy Free Yogurt ( I used Alpro Soya )
- 125 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used Soya Milk )
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Pre heat your oven to 165 C Fan / 180 C / 350 F
- Grease and line your pan
- In a small pan add 50 g Vegan Butter and 50 g of soft brown sugar and bring to the simmer on low …SIMMER !!!!! Stirring continually it will become more amalgamated , remember to use something metal !!! I know someone who melted a rubber spatula once 🙈
- Once it starts to slowly let it boil for ONE minute
- It may look slightly dark on the boil don’t worry look at the pictures here
- Pour into the bottom of the prepared baking tin, be careful its hot !!!
- Take the Bananas and slice to 1/4 in approx sliced
- Arrange in the pan with the caramel in an artist manner……or just chuck them in in a single layer
- In a bowl measure out the the Gluten free flour blend, add the cocoas , xanthan gum ( if using ) bicarb and baking powder
- Whisk together
- The Sieve ( oh yes I said it again ) into another bowl
- In a separate bowl, add the oil and sugars and whisk until combined
- Add the yogurt and mix in
- Then add third the flour dry mix to the yogurt/ oil mix and fold in until nearly combined
- Then half the milk fold in until combined
- Repeat last two steps
- Finish mixing in the last third of flour
- When all combined, place in the tin on top of the bananas and smooth
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes , test with a cake tester or tooth pick until it comes out clean
- Take out the oven and cool in the tin for at least an hour
- If using a fixed pan run a knife round the edge of the tin between the cake and the tin to loosen but it should have come away on cooling
- Invert the tin on a plate and voila !!!
- Enjoy with Cream, Custard or Ice Cream
So there you go….easy as well Upside Down Cake
The choice how you serve it is yours….
Now before you start I have of course served mine with GF Vegan Custard…..
Heres a recipe….. Mind I Use Custard Powder, but this recipe will work, personally I like my custard with a yellow tinge so add a pinch of tumeric to the recipe
But feel free to go naked, add cream or scoop of ice cream…..if you must 😱
Right now for some crumbporn to make you wipe the screen and dive stright into the kitchen
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜