Childhood memories are made of with these !!!
THE JAMMIE DODGER 😍😍
Most probably for me because these biscuits are just slightly older than me !!!
Not these actual biscuit …..obviously🙈 but the concept
They are such name after Rodger the Dodger a character in the National Institution that is the comic book ….The Beano
If you want to read all about Rodger fill your boots here
So theres’ your non bake bit for this week………good old Rodger 🙊🙊
The Jammie Dodger is still to this day a popular treat……a shortbread biscuit filled with Raspberry or Strawberry Jam ( ermmmm Jelly for the US folk I think 😜)
They could be described as a smaller version of a Linzer torte …..but really its just a Jammie Dodger ( oh goodness I do hope Burton’s are okay and I’m not heading towards trouble for use of trademark 🙊🙊)
Now I may have made these with my flash biscuit cutter set from Dexam but you don’t need it. I’ve included the options in the recipe notes …… but here’s the link ( there is no affiliation or freebie I just bought them 🙈)
So if you want a biscuit that surpasses the commercial intolerant ones out there then here’s your chance to fill your biscuit tin and love your belly !!
Oh and by the way….one is never enough !!!!😜😜😜😜
So lets get your BISCUIT ( cookies may not apply 😂😂😂) Tin, full to the brim and ready for the weekend
Oh and because this is Love Weekend and it was Valentine Day Yesterday the frugal of you will be celebrating today 🙈🙈 I do love a frugal Valentines Day 😂
So here’s one for next years memory bank or just make every day a love day with these……..no discrimination for not being the 14th 😂😂
Lets Bake 😍😍😍😍😍😍
Jammie Dodgers GF, DF, V
Shortbread Type Biscuit with a lovely Fruity Jam Centre
Can be made bigger or smaller but bake time will need to be adjusted These biscuits are best constructed and eaten on the same day as need Store unfilled biscuits for at least 7 days in air tight tin….make a few up each day to enjoy .
If you have limited baking trays please cook bottoms first leave to cool , remove to rack and then when tray is cold reuse fro tops…. no need to use fresh parchment reuse and be frugal 😂😂😂
Recipe can be halved or doubled
- 350 g Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( if not using your own blend I recommend Dove Farm UK or PIlsbury US )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your blend contains it )
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 50 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 50 g Caster / Superfine Sugar
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup , Maple or Agave Syrup
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp of salted caramel flavouring ( optional )
- 140 g Vegan butter ( Stork Block UK or Earth Balance US )
- 220 g Strawberry or Raspberry Jam ( 1/2 a jar if shop bought )
- Weigh Flour, add Xanthan gum and bicarb to a bowl, whisk and the sieve together
- Add the Butter and both sugars to a bowl and either using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer mix for 3 minutes until smooth and ‘creamed ‘ on a medium setting
- Add the golden syrup and mixing on low mix until combined
- Add the vanilla extract and salted caramel flavouring ( if using ) and mix until also combined 🙊
- Add half the flour mix to the butter gloop and mix on slow until its all mixed in and starts to come together
- Add the rest of the flour and mix again until its starts to form a large lumpy !!
- Tip the dough out of bowl on to clingfilm and shape into a rectangle
- Wrap tightly and place in the fridge for minimum of one hour !!
- Heat Oven to 160 C Fan / 180 C Standard / 360 F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment ( No idea on slipmats I don’t use them !!! )
- Take out the dough and cut it in half !!! You have top and bottoms to the biscuits and i find that easiest , as I’m rubbish at counting 😂😂
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of 4 mm ,1/8 th in between two sheets of cling film
- Cut out whole flat biscuits and place onto tray they don’t spread so no need for much space , gather scraps and re roll and cut as necessary
- Roll out second half of dough and cut further full biscuits , using the smaller cutter cut out small centre pieces, place on baking tray as before
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until slighlty raised and changed in colour but not browning
- Remove from oven and DO NOT REMOVE FROM TRAY TILL COOLED !!!
- When all biscuits are cooked using a teaspoon add the jam to the bottom full biscuit and sandwich it with a top cut one…….
- Job Done Enjoy
So there you go….you wont look back and these and are a bake that even the kids could join you in and make it a baking day !!!!
They will love them as well as you !!!
So lets do it lets get the pics and the biscuit porn…. this is the 3rd in a series of 4 traditional Brtitsh biscuit that is hitting the blog, the last one will be in a couple of weeks to finish the holy trinity ( well 4 ) of them
So far you ve had Custard Creams, Bourbons and Jammie Dodgers come back for the final installment !!!
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜