Now where to start !!!!
Its me !!!! It’s Bean Juice!!! And I am standing proud on this fact 😂😂
Every Frosting and ‘Buttercream’ has a place in your life 😍
To me nothing sounds posher than Swiss Meringue Buttercream. That pillow of cake decorators dreams.
I’ve never been a fan of Standard Buttercream, as some will know ( it still has it’s place but way down on my box of tricks list ). My first port of call is my trusty Intolerance Ermine Frosting
But we all need that little opulence in our lives !!!
We all want to eat as well or if not better than regular folk ………
So I want to give you the delicacy that is Swiss Meringue Buttercream ….. but of course
EGG FREE and DAIRY FREE ……..aka Vegan 😂😂😂
Its a naturally Gluten Free Frosting so no issue there !!
And this is a step by step guide that you MUST NOT deviate from!!
(Cracks whip 😈)
Not alter ( bar the base ingredients to the amount you want to make , but the method remains the same !!!! )
EXACTLY THE SAME !!!!!!!
(Insert cackle 🙈😂😂😂)
So we roll with the Bean Juice……. Aquafaba the stuff you chuck down the sink when you open the tin of chickpeas ( or any other legume ) not on tomato sauce ……no in water please 😂😂😂😂😂
If you are interested here’s the font of all knowledge Wiki 🙊🙊
Although I am bringing you this recipe today. I will also not take credit for conception. That belongs to Gretchen Price of Gretchen’s Vegan Bakery. a Mistress in her Vegan magic and although shes not a GFer her hints tips and general openness about vegan baking and the craft is amazing
So is it difficult you might ask ????? Well it has taken be a couple of attempts to get it consistent and hence why the timings I’m giving you are exact…….no thermometer needed but you may need Alexa or your oven timer 😂😂😂
But don’t panic when you’ve made it a couple of times its as easy as………
ASMB ( Aqufaba Swiss Meringue buttercream Anne 😜😜)
Now it can be used for frosting , piping , filling and all the things you would use buttercream for …..simple
It can be flavoured…… I wouldn’t advise wet products its soft enough……usual flavourings freeze dried fruit powders and chocolate ganache is the best and easiest way to make it the chocolate version ( using 60g to the base batch in a 2:1 ratio chco to milk. far less milk than a standard version )
And perfect for adding gel colours just add them slowly and gradually
Right lets get conquering something even some standard bakers don’t and wont try…….but you can and you will 😍😍😍😍
Aquafaba Swiss Meringue Buttercream GF, DF V
Dreamy Silky Dairy Free, Vegan Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Can be doubled for a 9 in cake or halved for 12 cupcakes
But please remember we all do icing differently
The half recipe is handy for if you run short
Buttercream can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks ,
It can be frozen for up to 3 months, bring to room temperature and mix until smooth before use
Leftover aquafaba can be frozen for use at another point
- 225 g Aquafaba ( Juice out of a tin of chickpeas or any other legume seed, you will need at least 2 tins )
- 150 g Granulated White Sugar
- 165 g Icing / Confectioners / Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartare
- 225 g Vegan Block Butter ( Stork Block UK , Earth Balance US )
- 165 g Trex ( UK ) or Cristo ( US )
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Strain the juice out of your tins of chickpeas
- In a saucepan heat the Aquafaba and sugar on a slow rolling boil for 5 minutes
- Place in the fridge or as I do in a bowl of cold water in the sink ( but don’t forget to weigh it down with a spoon to stop it tipping up …….my mate didn’t and lost the lot once 🙈) and leave to go cold
- Sieve your icing / confectionery sugar into a bowl
- Wipe out your stand mixer bowl with lemon juice to remove any fat residue
- Once your Aquafaba is cold place in a stand mixer and with a balloon attachment whisk on HIGH ( 8 out 10 on kitchen aid ) for 5 minutes until increased in size
- Add the Cream of Tartare to one Tbsp of Icing Sugar and add to the Aquafaba a teaspoon at a time
- Continue to mix for 3 minutes until the mix has increased in size and strength
- Now begin to add the rest of the icing sugar ….a tablespoon at at a time , making sure each tablespoon is incorporated before adding the next
- The mix will then start to turn stiff and glossy, adding the powdered sugar to the mix and whisking further will take a total of 5 minutes
- When you have stiff glossy peaks begin to add the vegan butter and Trex……in small pieces whilst still on high whip, making sure that each piece id Incorporated before the next I alternate each fat into the mix
- The Aquafaba Meringue will deflate with the addition of the fat…..don’t worry
- If the mixture curdles stop adding fat and continue to whip on high until it goes smooth and then add the remaining fat slowly
- Add the Vanilla and whisk in
- Use as desired or transfer to an airtight container for storage
- Before use using a spatula remove air bubbles by pushing the buttercream to the side of the bowl and flattening against the side until smooth and creamy
Don’t’ worry keep mixing this was the first batch of fat 😂😂 I don’t want a panic
Halfway there !!!!
SMOOCH AWAY 😂😂😂 its the technical term 😂😂😂😂
So there you go…..you can do it honest….its fantastic to pipe with and something you really will not regret having in your toolbox for when you want to wow the in laws, bribe a Judge or just impress a new fella / lady friend 😜😜😜😜
Now there’s only so many pictures I can take of ASMB before you run for the hills but before I do I want to link something in….its only right and fair and Gretchen also has the answers for if it splits ( and this is the same for regular SMB too so might be worth the non GFers V of you having a look too )
So heres the link to the original recipe and Gretchen’s Site ….. the U tube video is on that page so you can have a look should you need it …..but l’m going to day that’s because YOU DIDN’T FOLLOW WHAT I DID 😜😜😜😜😜😜
Right pictures……and Kerry did offer a tongue shot when she saw a couple of these !!!!!
I declined as we could end up with an X rated Blog 😂😂🙊
Hope you enjoyed this weeks post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment, or a like, it really does spur me on.
Signup for an Email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty pictures and maybe a little wit and sarcasm😜. Or follow ,me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up to on a daily basis.
If you make any of my cakes or use my recipes, let me know how you get on, I love to hear. Drop me a line at @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me to Family, Friends and those awkward ones, I don’t mind, the more the merrier.
Thanks to Gretchen for allowing me to use and publish my version of her recipe and to Sally of Sally’s Baking Addiction for setting her monthly challenge this month that’s made me get my act together and get this recipe in order !!!
Until next week……..Bye for now 💜💜💜