Christmas and Gingerbread go hand in hand.
So there is no way on with the first Christmas on the Blog that I couldn’t give some version of a bake that covers the season.
I’m so lucky to have an army of baking inspiration within my ‘baking circle’ and this beauty has popped up over this year.
A completely different combination to that normally seen. From a genuine home baker from a generation before…… the best type of baking the ones ‘passed down’.
So in honour of my baking amigo and inspiration Darryl, over the pond and his mum Becky, I give you this bake.
Of course being me I have sought permission as mutilating a standard bake is not always appreciated by the original recipe creator. Although Becky is no longer here Darryl is. So a message was sent and full permissions granted .
I do hope I’ve done this bake justice and blinged it appropriately . Because we all like a little bling over Christmas.
And cheers Darryl I do love a good cup to gram conversion !!!!😂😂😂😂😂. it really makes my brain matter work overdrive 🙈🙈
It is then a matter or conversion to Gluten Free and Vegan , so for me its using the best methods for an individual bake. As not all bakes are equal and that skill develops with me on every bake.
The crumb, the spicing are the main points to consider, and with a lot of intolerance baking the flat uncracked top doesn’t always appear.
I don’t give a flying fig anymore😜😜😜😜 , I want soft moist and regular crumbporn .
However if you are trimming for cake decorating, covering in frosting or icing , does it really matter? ……..NO it doesn’t not one little bit !!!
These are homemade goods tasting like nothing you will get commercially and this one for sure fits that very brief !!! If you want generic then off you pop to the supermarket that’s fine !!!
Its perfect for me in every way, warm spices but those little bursts of blueberries add that little something , a pop and moisture to give it that little extra and soft…….so soft.
Blueberries although not in season are readily available here all year round, but they need to be fresh not the frozen variety.
This bake is uncomplicated , fuss free and will wow your family and friends, yep you can serve it to anyone. It requires nothing more than a warm drink or maybe a a mulled wine or cider and the scene is set.
Not everything in life and baking has to be complicated to be delicious and the previous generation knew how to achieve that.
Lets bake Becky’s Cake 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Becky's Blueberry Gingerbread GF, DF V
A Moist Spiced Sponge Gingerbread that pops with the addition of blueberries
- 200 g of caster /superfine sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda / Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum ( omit if your flour bland has it in )
- 300 g Gluten Free Plain Flour ( if you are not using your own blend I recommend Dove farms Gluten Free Plain Flour or Pilsbury US ) + 2 tbsp for blueberries
- 150 g Black Treacle or Molasses
- 120 ml Vegetable Oil
- 240 ml Hot Black/ Breakfast Tea ( 1 teabag in 240 ml boiling water )
- 250 g Fresh Blueberries ( 200 g for cake 50 g for top )
- 2 tbsps of cornflour
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Water
- 150 g Icing /confectioners Sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 balls of stem ginger
- Pre heat your oven to 160 C fan/ 180 C standard / 350 F
- Grease and line your pan
- In a bowl add the flour , cloves, cinnamon, ginger, Bicarb of soda, xanthan gum and salt
- Whisk to mix evenly
- Add sugar and mix again
- Make up tea with water and one teabag, leave to brew
- Weigh out treacle and add oil to large sized bowl
- In a small bowl cover the blueberries in tbsp of flour , evenly
- In a small bowl mix the cornflour , 4 tsp of oil, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 table spoons of water ……it will fizz dont worry
- Add to the Treacle mix and whisk in as best possible, may look bitty
- Add the flour to the treacle mix and incorporate a little with a spatula or wooden spoon
- Add the tea ( sorry Becky 🙈🙈🙈) and combine until smooth with a spatula or wooden spoon
- Add 200 g Blueberries and stir in lightly until distributed
- Place in prepared tin and smooth out
- Bake for 35 minutes until well risen and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean……do not worry about any cracking as this cake is baked and delicious and that flat top doesn’t matter you will be sorting it in a bit !!!!
- Leave to cool
- When cool sieve the icing sugar
- Mix in water a little at a time until you get a thick consistency ( different icing sugars and humidity play a part so i cant give you accurate amounts but you can see in the pictures what it looks like. Just add it very slowly you dont want it to runny because it will spread
- Dollop it on the cake and smooth out gently with a palate knife or dinner knife
- Chop the stem ginger into small pieces and scatter along with the reserved blueberries on the top
- Leave to set
6.Sieve dry ingredients a into a medium bowl
take it to the edge and let it run down the sides a little
( if you wish to sugar your blueberries roll in 2 tbsp of corn syrup and then place on a baking tray with 25 g Caster sugar and roll to cover )
Well there you go , something a little different over the festive period !!
I’m loving the addition of frosted blueberries they certainly add that no fuss bling and something I’ve not used before , inspired totally by this bake.
I do hope I’ve done Becky proud, that now her recipe is there for everyone to enjoy…….. and you all can do. No wacky ingredients and no complex methods .
But the test comes on the crumbporn and of course I will show you. But i will also set the Christmas scene to inspire you to make it ……its all possible and you can do it !!!!
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week