Well its Saturday and I’m up to my eyes in a Wedding Cake………I do like to keep the Blog in real time without boring you with what I’ve had for my tea 🙊. I want to reflect in years back where my journey was at the time.
So yes today as you read this I’m just preparing to deliver and set up my first ever fully intolerant wedding cake GF V ……..at the hottest week of the year EVER ……..just saying 😂😂😂
But back to today……….and why you are here, I’m here to give you the stand alone recipe for DRUM ROLL PLEASE 😜😎😜😎
My Bestest Ever , Never to be Improved, Only One You Will Ever Need Fully Intolerant Cake Frosting……
Apparently that’s Blogger Speak for I like it a lot . 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
The one thing I keep getting requested and asked for so this makes life for you all easier……
You may have a favourite recipe that’s not mine (go stand in the corner 😂😂) but the frosting is killing the bake so here you go, you can just nip to the Cauldron and have it at hand
Right here’s my stance…………Vegan / Dairy Free Buttercream is rank……there I’ve said it, I would rather eat cold pilchards ( sorry pilchard lovers )😜😜😜
Layers of grease with false taste and the instability of an wet cotton wool and the splitting ability of curds and whey………….there is the fact no fiction and you will not persuade me otherwise
Great Dairy Free, Gluten Free Vegan Frosting is worth the effort, after all we are use to sub standard baking that are classed as chargeable……. and yes we eat it as that’s our only choice apparently…….WELL ITS NOT
Let me remind you once again, especially if you are new to the blog .
Ermine Frosting …………..If you’re anywhere but the US your going to say, I thought this was a Vegan dish, shes using a Stoat 😜😂 and yes I’ve been there too. ( As in what I thought ‘not that I’ve used a stoat 😂) YES I CUT AND PASTED IT BUT ITS CAULDRON GOLD
Ermine frosting is actually the frosting that was traditionally used for Red Velvet Cake before the Cream Cheese revolution.
I cannot thank my International Baking Friend Anna enough for introducing me to it and the recipe that I’ve adapted. Finding the best ingredients have been a challenge for stabilising and taste, but I’ve got there in the end.
I use this recipe for adapting https://thetoughcookie.com/2017/03/10/less-sweet-flour-buttercream-aka-ermine-buttercream/
I haven’t invented it ,I’ve just Cauldron manipulated it 🙊
My key for taste is Rice Milk, No nut after taste and a lovely creamy taste, and that is always the way I now choose to make it, of course everyone’s tastes are different, but nut milks just leave a nut taste to me and Oat Milk is not always GF.
However with all my bakes they are transferable to non GF, just use regular AP/ Plain Flour, as most before development start from a standard recipe. Most bear no resemblance when I’ve finished though
The Best Ever Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan Frosting
Soft and Velvety Ermine Frosting GF, DF V
I would advise one and half if you want big tops or a 3 tier 8 in/ 9 in cake
The Recipe fully frosting a 6in 3 layer and 1 1/2 for a 8 in fully frosted
Naked cakes as my usual style 3 8in layers and I have some left over for freezing for cupcakes later ……….you can freeze the leftovers !!
- 70 g Gluten free Flour blend as used for your cake
- 220 g Granulated sugar
- 450 g Dairy free Milk, I advise Rice milk always but that’s up to you
- 220 g Vegan Butter, I use Pure Dairy Free or Stork Block depending on what I have in . Earth Balance will be the US alternative
- 180 g Shortening, I use Trex, Hi Ratio is the best US wise. You can use full Non dairy butter but you would need to stabilised it with xanthan gum and that can cause splitting, feel free to try, it needs to be added at the end of the process and whisked in thoroughly 400 g of Non dairy in total, not for me though……. -2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Combine the flour, sugar, milk in a pan and whisk until combined
- On a low heat, dont rush it it will scorch, and whisking continually bring the pudding to a boil
- Once boiling using a spatula continue to stir the pudding round the sides and the bottom using a folding motion.
- Once the pudding starts to freely come away from the sides, about 2 minutes, transfer to a plate and cover clingfilm to prevent a skin and leave to cool at room temperature
- You can sieve onto a plate if you want to remove the zest or feel you have any lumps, but this needs to be done quickly ( and with all the frosting I’ve done I’ve only ever done this once because I took my eye off the ball….so it will be your fault if you HAVE TO 🙊)
- Whisk the fats in a mixer with a paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer until fully combined and fluffy about 3 minutes
- Add the cooled pudding a tablespoon at a time making sure its combined before adding another ON HIGH
- Continue to mix until all the pudding is added
- Add the Vanilla for the last bit of mixing
- If for any reason you find your mix splitting, put the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes then take it out and whisk on high speed for 5 minutes, this is usually caused by difference in ingredient temperatures
- If using all butter add a teaspoon of xanthan gum and whisk for at least 2 minutes until fully combined
- You can mush the frosting against the side of the bowl to remove some air or as i do pick up dollops with a spatula and flick it back into the bowl to remove the air……….. be careful it may ‘ fart’ back at you 😂😂😂😂
- Keep at room temperature
- If you need to refrigerate it may separate and little but just re whip
- Decorate as desired
Right so there you go. variations are limitless and I can give you a few quickly cos I’m busy currently stressing 😂😂
Swap in 50mls or Orange , Lemon juice or booze to the pudding to change up the taste
Add some zest, one tablespoon to your pudding base during the cooking at the beginning helps the natural oils leach out
THE FOLLOWING ARE ADDED ON WHISKING
Add some freeze dried fruit, 7g usually does it but more if you want on the whip stage NOT THE PUDDING ( get a grip 😂 oh no sorry that was me once 🙈)
Any flavourings you want, Peppermint at Xmas . Cinnamon , Mixed Spice , Peanut Butter ( oh yes when you as the #motherofallerminepimps Anna how much, in true experienced baker style you get…….a couple of dollops 😂😂
Oh and a winter one for the Brits…….Black Treacle ( 2 tablespoons ) one of me favourites
Before you ask I’m not commenting on adding chocolate that’s going to be a separate post………give the blogger some material
Right piping……. you can do it all and I have so here now today im giving you a quick snapshot of some I’ve done in the last 12 months……to show you if I can do it so can you……..remember Im only 2 years baking and all I do is try
Amounts I can only give you a guide, we all pipe differently and frost differently so please don’t shout if you run out or have to much…….you just don’t do it my way ………Yawn. I’m not for confrontation so stemming you off at the pass 😂😂😂😂
Now if you think I’m showing off a little I’m sorry I’m not I’m trying to show you what you can do and that’s my only intention…..my style is me on a plate and think you may get my vibe by the time you have finished
I will caption up the pictures with the flavours…….it’s #intolerancefrostingporn time 🙈🙊😜😜😜
Right done…………dont say I dont do varied for you 😂😂
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on wordpress or Insta, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this cake or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family, and awkward ones😂😂