Well Folks it has to be done, on two counts. Pastry and a Savoury Dish ( I’m English so you get extra ‘U ‘s ‘ with me have you noticed 😂😂😂)
Now before we start I’m setting a few things straight. 🙊
This post is not about the health benefits, the environment or world peace. Its about pastry and I would like to keep the comments open and not have to shut them down. I’ve spent more than enough , time , effort and money trying to get a Gluten Free ,Dairy Free, Vegan Flaky Pie Pastry together so folk can actually have the pleasure of making home made and fresh. If you have any criticism about my use of shortening, please feel free to keep it to yourself. Im not into Butter snobbery!!!!!
This a Pastry for folk with dietary issues, some life threatening, by all means if its your lifestyle choice that’s great to, but this is where the heart of my baking lies, I’m not into moral or ethical issues, though I try to be as responsibly as I possibly can, so whilst you open your jar of Nutellla and Cookie Butter, I open my Trex here’s their FAQ you can ask them
I’ve tried so many products and this is the best that I’ve got, that gives consistent results time after time with minimum effort and no stress ( well once you get use to it 😂😂)
Anyway with that out the way lets get happy………PASTRY and a Savoury one for you. Now I’m sure a lot won’t expect that, but some will. I did a poll both on Insta and in a Facebook Group to see if they wanted Savoury on the blog. I was a GF home cook, long before I baked, and the answer (bar one person ) was a resounding YES, so there you go……..you could see British Pies YET 😱
This post is about the pastry, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan Pastry its been a journey , I cant tell you how many less than happy pastries I’ve made. The issue is hydration , always is in GF baking.
I stumbled across a post regarding making a slurry for pastry, (not one from the farm yard, god forbid, that wouldn’t make it Vegan 🙊 ), I cant for the life of me find it, it was a Non GF one, but thought, now that’s a possibility and a method I had never used.
My world opened up and Pastry life got a whole new meaning
Now this Pastry has its limitations, I’m working on the best way for lattice work, however my new passion in regard to pastry is to get creative and do ‘The Pieous ‘ and paint it 😂😂😂 but that’s for another day.
I suggest you read the recipe and instructions first, its vital, at least twice 😜😜
This Pastry is best made the night before, the flour absorbs the moisture more but you can do it in two hours, but your first time I would certainly opt to leave it overnight .
Right here goes, Forget EVERYTHING you ever learnt or know about pastry , and hold on to your clingfilm 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜 ( yes more environmental issues but there is no other way 🙈)
THIS IS A LONG POST ALERT, get a cuppa 😎😎
Tomato and Pesto Galette GF, DF V
An Italian Inspired treat , with the taste you expect, enclosed in Flaky Pastry
- For the Pastry
- 260g Plain Gluten Free Flour Blend ( I recommend Pilsbury Cup for Cup US or Dove Farm UK)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum ( omit if your flour blend has it in )
- 200g Trex ( UK ) or Shortening ( Spectrum is your best alternative ) from Fridge
- 1 tbsp Light Agave Syrup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free Milk ( I used Soy ) For The Slurry
- 40g Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 120ml Cold Tap Water For the Pesto
- 50g Pine nuts or Sunflower Seeds ( I used Pine nuts )
- 30g Fresh Basil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste For the filling
- 2 Red Onions
- 400 g Tomatoes, I used Vine ripened and yellow cherry
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Allow at least TWO hours for Pastry to settle
- Mix the Flour, Xanthan ( if using ) and salt in a bowl with a whisk
- Pulse the Flour Mix, Shortening , Agave and in a food Processor until it turns to crumbs and then starts to come together as a mass
- In a separate bowl , make a slurry out of the water, yes straight out the tap , mix until there are no lumps
- Tip the dough into a bowl and pour over the slurry
- Lightly combine until all the water is incorporated, it will come together, honest
- Transfer onto clingfilm and the form a ball. It will be very wet, don’t worry
- Cut the ball in half and transfer the second to another clingfilm sheet
- Wrap and then flatten into a disc
- Put tin the fridge for a minimum of two hours , I do find it best overnight but that takes planning 😜
- Add the toasted pine nuts, to a food processor and blitz until fine breadcrumbs, add the basil and olive oil until a smooth paste forms
- Half the onions and slice into half moons and slice thinly
- Heat 2 table spoons of Olive Oil in a frying pan add the onions and saute, ON A LOW HEAT for about 15 minutes until soft and slightly caramelised, add some ground pepper and salt to taste
- Set aside to cool
- Slice the tomatoes about 5 mm , 1/4 in thick and the cherry ones in half
- Place on some kitchen towel and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt, this will draw some moisture out. Place a second sheet of Kitchen towel on the top and set aside at room temperature
- Wet your rolling surface with a damp cloth, honest its worth it your clingfilm will stick nicely and place some cling film over the wet area
- Remove the pastry from the fridge 🙊 and place in the middle of the clingfilm, cover with a second layer of cling
- Roll your pastry to 8 in disc.You can knock it back into shape if it goes funny, do not attempt any silly 1/4 turns just roll it from the centre outwards, it is soft don’t worry , mine was rolled to 6mm thick here
- Flour a parchment paper with A LITTLE FLOUR as show
- Now take the top cling film off GENTLY I find removing the clingfilm from the furthest edge better and pulling it towards you stops any ripping.
- Here goes , lift the under clingfilm by the its long length and raise the dough, it WILL STOP IN PLACE and flip it gently onto the parchment, the clingfilm will be on the top and you can now remove it , gently no ripping off like a face mask, think that black mask thingy 🙈 AGAIN I find removing the clingfilm from the furthest edge better and pulling it towards you stops any ripping.
- Add Blobs of pesto on top
- Layer half the Tomatoes on the top, overlap them a bit.
- Using the parchment as a leaver , see the picture below lift the edges over the filling, there is no need to wet, your pastry is damp enough
- Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil and the season well with Cracked Black Pepper
- Brush with Dairy Free Milk
- Remove the heated baking sheet, with oven gloves 🙊 from the oven and place the galette onto the sheet
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown
- Leave to cool for at least 15 , minutes and then enjoy. Warm or Cold
This could be done with a pastry cutter or two forks , but its not my way and something I haven’t had to do.
Make the Pesto
11.Put the Pine nuts or Sunflower Seeds on a baking tray and toast in the oven, toss about every two minutes for 6 minutes so prevent burning and are golden in colour
This can be done with a pestle and mortar, good luck 🙊😂😂
Pastry Rolling and Construction DEEP BREATH YOU CAN DO IT 😎😎😎😎
HALF an hour before construction but the Oven 170 C fan, 190 Standard or 375 F and place a baking sheet in to get hot NO SOGGY BOTTOMS ON MY WATCH 😜😜😜😜😜😜
LOOK IT STAYS IN PLACE ………..🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈
24, Spread half the onions on the base of the pastry Leaving a 1 in Edge all the way round
Sorry its such a long post, there was really no other way, my intention is to make a separate post just on making the pastry so I can link other recipes in. This will most probably go out in June when I’m on my holiday, we will see. But it will have its separate post before fruit season arrives.
So forget about the vodka you’ve heard ( unless it calms your nerves to make the tart ), the iced water, the cider vinegar and the ‘lets put the bowls in the freezer’, its all not necessary. Everything is for where you store it.
If you choose to make smaller individual ones, ( well really sharing for 2 ) you will get four galettes and I reduce the roll to 4 mm .
If you choose to use butter, for just GF please feel free, and If you choose to use a vegan butter or block margarine please reduce the water by 2o mls, I would like to hear internationally, how you get on, especially with the infamous, ‘ Earth Butter ‘, pastry is so sensitive I cant recommend it unless, I see results, but I’m open to your help
You can of course do fruit just make sure you use the same amount of fruit and some thickening, e.g cornflour 1 tbsp, 65 g sugar and mix it and leave it to let some juice out and absorb before filling (30 minutes ), but that’s a different post😂
You will see I use Agave, syrup. its the least sweet syrup that is fine for savoury too, but I find it helps with the colour and browning, adding a small amount of salt takes the sweetness away
So there you go Tomato and Pesto Tart, easy and tasty……… no crumbporn, we have Pastryporn or Flakeporn this week……..
Best give you the best I’ve got😜
Hope you enjoyed the post.
Please feel free to leave me a comment or a like, it helps me alot.
Sign up for an Email, so you never miss another recipe, or some pretty pictures ,or Follow me on WordPress or Insta and see what I’m up too.
If you make and of my recipes, let me know how you get on, I would love to hear. Drop me a line @clarescauldron or tag me on Insta or use my hastag #everyoneshouldenjoycake
If you choose to replicate this or any of my recipes on your own blog or site, please be truthful and at least acknowledge your source . This recipe as far as I can see is unique so will stand out a mile, if I find it. I’m not precious but I would like some credit, there has been a lot of work, play fair, I do.
Feel free to share me about, I’m really easy 😜😜😜 especially to the awkward intolerant ones !!!!
Until Next week