With Easter just around the corner, I thought we best cover a nice base chocolate cake. Just in case those hard to please family members or wayward intolerants descend over the holiday period.
One you can decorate yourself in a style you want, to suit everyone. As you can see, I’ve chosen a Black Forest Vibe on this. But will discuss that little later.
Just to make you scroll through the post and see what I’m up too – sure there must be a technical name for it 😂 some media blurb but really its just because my post is here to show you how to make a decent cake, not the fancy bit…………yet!!
So the truth, Chocolate and Gluten Free are not happy bed mates. Reason, GF sucks the life out of a batter and chocolate can be so drying, so its all going have to balance. No oh lets just take the vanilla sponge and swap out some cocoa for flour…………it just doesn’t work, believe me I’ve tried 🙈
So lets get a ‘waggle on’ we all need a chocolate cake, hold on to your hats, lets get started 😜😜💜
There will of course be pretty pictures and a variation on what you can do at the end of the post………😂
Chocolate Lovers Chocolate Cake
A Moist Light Oh So Chocolatey Cake Fit for a Celebration GF, DF,V
- 360 ml Dairy Free Milk ( I used soya)
- 11/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 225g Granulated sugar
- 150 mls oil of choice ( I used Sunflower )
- 6 tbsps Aquafaba ( Chickpea Juice Out of a can of ChickPeas )
- 225g of Gluten Free Plain Flour Blend ( Doves Farm UK or Pillsbury US)
- 3/4 tsp of Xanthan gum (omit if your blend has it in )
- 60g Cocoa ( non Dutched as it takes out any risk in the equation, you can sub equal parts cocoa and black cocoa as I’ve done here for a deeper chocolatey flavour, however be mindful if serving to children, they may find the black to over powering in depth of taste )
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder (optional)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Set Oven to 190 C / 170 C fan / 370 f
- In a jug add the cider vinegar to the milk and let it stand whilst you do Step 3
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, aquafaba, sugar and vanilla until combined , add the milk mix and whisk until all fully combined.
- Sieve the flour, (xathan gum if using ),bi carb, and baking powder into another bowl with the cocoa and espresso powder , I do not advise not sieving as its important to get an even distribution.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and fold in until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between 3 tin, I find the easiest way is to weigh the mixture the tins to get the same amount
- Bake in the oven for 15- 20 minutes until risen and a cocktail stick or cake tester comes out clean, and springy to the touch.
3 . Grease and line the 3 tins of same size as desired with baking parchment, there are no shortcuts on this and I would not advise it
So there you go folks, it really is that simple. Lets not over complicate things just yet. You are wanting #everyonetoenjoycake, they have a right, you have the tools now to instigate that and I’m honoured that I can share that with you.
This cake may look the buisness, I will let you decide, but it is in effect a very simple affair, for the cream I used Schlagfix Whipping Cream, a new product to me, so I’m in developmental stages with it https://schlagfix.com/index.php/en/products
A tin ( yes a tin 😂😂 ) of black cherries as cherries are expensive and out of season at the moment in the UK. I retained the juice, and with 50mg of sugar and 50mls of Kirsch I reduced it to a 1/3rd to make a simple syrup
Obviously a few fresh cherries were purchased, at great expense, because you are all worth it 😂😂 and I dipped those in melted chocolate
And the thing that sets it off, the curls and shards. by the genius that is u tube I watched this video ( OMG I’m amazing I’ve managed to put it there for you, whoop whoop, not bad for the 3rd post )
So now for the all important crumbporn 💕 A slice and a slither 😂
Now this cake was a 6in 3 tier, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan, totally and in its own right.
However I’ve made a Special Birthday Cake recently and the same cake base was used. I however cater for everyone and though the cake itself was intolerant on this bake the decoration in the form of chocolate wasn’t. I left a clear patch at the back so that #everyoneshouldenjoycake , this cake was 8 in and will easily feed 20 with party pieces, or 12 if you are at home😜
Hope enjoyed your insight into the non complex way to #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Please leave me a comment or a like, it does the world of good to keep me going and hopefully expand your knowledge.
Sign up for an email, so you never miss another recipe or some pretty picture, or follow on wordpress or Insta, see what I’m up too on a most daily basis.
If you make this cake or any of my recipes, let me know how you’ve gone on, drop me a line @clarescauldron tag me on insta or use my #everyoneshouldenjoycake.
Feel free to let your fingers do the talking and share this amongst your family, and awkward ones😂😂